PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkly Angel?

KazAngel
12-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Yaaayyy!! just picked up my new tank on the weekend!! I was horrified that when I got there one of the silver angels that was comming with it was dead!!! The tank was filthy!!! The other silver angel is all wrinkly I have never seen or heard of this before I asked if the angel had always been like this and they said yes but I just don't trust them after seeing the state that tank was in. The tank is 200L temp is about 27 (no less). There are a total of 4 angels, 1 silver shark (came with tank), 1 clown loach, 2 CAE, 1 flying fox (came with tank). The angel although wrinkly seems happy (but then so do all the fish now that they have a clean well looked after home). Just wondering if some thing is wrong with the wrinkly one or not. They said the fish are all about a year old although the angel is the same size as my 6 month old ones (about 15cm tall including fins).

mitcore
12-20-2007, 02:56 AM
wow
i am sorry to hear of the death
but it seems not to be soooo surprising when you read about the quailty the tank was in

i would just leave the angel and see how it goes it might just need some tlc and good quailty tank water and a clean tank

good luck

country_boy454
12-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Congrats on the new tank! Sorry about the loss. Good to hear they have a better home and better taken care of home!

Futureboy
12-20-2007, 05:01 AM
can you post a pic of the angel?

KcEE
12-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey...sorry about the loss. Glad to hear that the remaining fish have a better home now. Wrinkly angel? Hmm..how big are they? Pics?

KazAngel
12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Ok I will try and get some pics up my digital camera sucks any tips for taking pics of fish its sooo hard to get a good one?

KazAngel
02-15-2008, 05:21 AM
Ok I know it has been a long time but I finally have some pics I'm no photographer ok.

AquaBANG
02-15-2008, 05:25 AM
I think for a 27G the tank is overstocked. Clown loaches need to be in groups and do not do well solo. Also angels require about 2' depth of the tank.

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Sorry about the loss.......

plow
02-15-2008, 06:03 AM
I think for a 27G the tank is overstocked. Clown loaches need to be in groups and do not do well solo. Also angels require about 2' depth of the tank.

its a 200 litre tank.. around 50 gal.

But I am sure there will be more comments here soon mentioning the evil work that begins with 'O' and ends with stocked.

plow
02-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Ok I know it has been a long time but I finally have some pics I'm no photographer ok.

that just the breed of angel. (I think)

Some angles are bred to have these wrinkly scales.

KazAngel
02-18-2008, 01:50 AM
To answer the overstocking, and clown loach issues,

1. Sudhirbits I asked the lfs if the clown loach needed to be in a group and they said no, I now know that they do, I will be getting some more once the other tanks are set up. Also I have heard that clown loaches can be very quiet hiding all the time or aggresive when on their own, but mine is busy hanging with the CAE's and swimming around looking for scraps he seems very happy.

2. All the Angels will be moving to a tall 200L octagon tank soon.

3. The silver (Bala) shark that came with the tank will be going to the lfs as soon as they are set up from thier move.

4. Plow thats really interesting I have never heard of angels being breed wrinkly. The wrinkly angel is currently breeding with a gold angel should I expect wrinkly babies?

plow
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
4. Plow thats really interesting I have never heard of angels being breed wrinkly. The wrinkly angel is currently breeding with a gold angel should I expect wrinkly babies?

Yeah I would imagine you'd expect some of each type and whole bunch in between.

Once upon a time pretty much all angels were wild type, so they bred some in captivity and took out the offspring that had different features, black bodies, yellow bodies spotty bodies whatever, then they combined those with other angles that showed the same features and they had offspring.. eventually they came out with extremes, just thru selective breeding..

wrinkly skins is one of these extremes.. selective genetics etc..

Atleast thats how I undertsand it, please correct me if anyone knows it differently.

Rue
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't quite tell...but it could be something genetic...maybe the scales aren't sitting quite flat...so that would give the impression of 'wrinkly'...

KazAngel
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm incredibly interested to see what happens with the babbies now, I'll tell you all what happens when they grow up. They should be free swimming today or tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it will take them to get to the dime size?

mitcore
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
i surely do it will take up to 6 weeks for them to get to that size, make sure you feed up to 3 times a day it does vary some will feed up to 5 times, i do 3, they can stay with the parents for 10 weeks and be cared for by them,
as for the wrikly some fish can be born with odd looking features and in your angel i would say it just looks aged, i wouldnt be worried about it as it is still breeding so it is healthy and very happy in the tank it is in,

post pics and well done on the fry

plow
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Kazangel that "wrinkly angel" is called a 'pearly' or a 'pearlscale'..

google it you'll find some pictures somewhere surely..

I have a book which describes this trait as..

" A unique mutation manifested in the skin, and known as pearly or crystal, is the result of a simple recessive gene, which we'll refer to as 'p' for pearly. It controls the appearance of imbedded scales in the skin to create a wavy body surface that reflects light from any angle, producing a glistening angelfish. Pearly breeds true when homozygous (pp), but yeilds all wild-type in the heterozygous offspring (p+) of pearly (pp) times wild-type (++). Brother to sister matings of the normal looking heterozygotes (p+) yield 25% pearly (pp) as expected with a simple recessive gene.

I dont understand what exactly this means as I am not into breeding and genetic engineering as such, but what I think it was trying to say is that there is a chance that some of your fry will also have this gene and this feature...

cool... see what happens. Ka pai.

KazAngel
02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
OOOOhhhh wow thats really cool!!! I did find some on google it will definitely be interesting to see what I get with the babbies. Thanks soo much!!