PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby...so much to learn

stainedgls
08-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Long story short, I have a 3 year old. Loves fish(as do I and my wife) We got 3 goldfish for free at a kids fair. I then bought a mini bow tank. My daughter helped me clean the tank by pouring soap into the the tank.did not take to well to that.

Bought a new , bigger tank and have had pretty good luck so far. But realize after reading more and more about what to do/not do... I rushed it. My fish are not dead, but at times they hover near the bottom. Hide and dont seem real happy. But they do eat. Swim around, and even chase each other. So there is hope.

Fish

I realize it aint rocket science, but there alot of minor things one must do to ensure a sucessful tank. I have made all the typical newbie mistakes, but have learned alot from various people, and places.

Look for me to complain, ask questions, and hopefully share my success stories!

Thnx for listening

Kenny

Here is my tank. Would love to hear any and all advice or comments. I realize I am new, so no hard feelings on my part.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/stainedgls/tank1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/stainedgls/tank2.jpg[/img]

DemonShark
08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Your tank is very nice. Are any of those real plants? Your doing very well for being new except for the soap part but o well past is done with. Your water looks a little cloudy you might wana check your filter. Your fish seem to be doing nice and all in all you have a very succeful tank!

William
08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Welcome

Nice tank.

I'd say all those plants are fake.

octony
08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I would say all you might want to do is add some live plants. I t will look better and your fish would enjoy them better too.

jnmrcs
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Nice tank! Good luck!

stainedgls
08-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Your tank is very nice. Are any of those real plants? Your doing very well for being new except for the soap part but o well past is done with. Your water looks a little cloudy you might wana check your filter. Your fish seem to be doing nice and all in all you have a very succeful tank!

The plants in that photo are all fake as was guessed at. I have since added a few live plants to help out.

My water is still cloudy though.. the levels all check out ok, my bio wheel is only a week old.

Will this clear over time?. It is not from too much food, nor from algae.

Any thoughts on how ling it takes to get a crystal clear tank, is the effect more from air bubbles from the bio wheel?

I just dont look good is all.

Thnx for the comments.

Kenny

William
08-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Yes that will likely clear as the tanl becomes more established.

DemonShark
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Itll clear up proubly