PDA

View Full Version : blue gourami

irondale
12-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a one year old Blue Gourami. It seems fine, but I've noticed that it's rather fat just behind the gills, like a bulge. Don't know if I'm feeding it too much or if it has a tumor or something. It's also very skittish - always has been. As soon as I approach the aquarium, no matter how carefully, it runs and hides. Any similar experiences or advice from the readers? Thanks.

mitcore
12-20-2007, 03:02 AM
howdy
my big blue is the same he hides behind a rock most of the day well til feeding time then he comes out and eats then back he goes

i would say he is just fat from over eating i find it hard to feed the right amount to my bigger fish, i wouldnt worry it seems it might be the same for all big blues

~Erik3.8.07~
12-20-2007, 03:13 AM
my blue gourami doesnt run and hide but it is fat right behind the gills, mine is a female so im not sure if its stored eggs or just fat. My pearl gourami is skiddish like that though

spudbuds
12-20-2007, 07:41 AM
The bulge may be a sign of a swim bladder problem. I'd try feeding some peas and see if it goes away.

Squidman
12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
My blue gourami has always been skittish. Maybe blue gouramis in general are skittish.

lasm
12-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I've had that problem before. I had one old blue gourami, female, she was fat. She died of no apparent reason.

Then with my new blue gourami, the same was happening. I though she was going to die as well, but since I varied the general diet in my aquarium the fat went away.

My two blue gouramis are generally shy. They hide when I approach the tank but eventually show themselves curiously to see if I'm going to feed them.

irondale
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks. How does one feed peas in the aquarium?

tropfish
12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
take either canned peas or fresh boiled peas and mash them up (make sure to take off the little shells so the fish can eat them) and feed a little bit. try not to overfeed because they can pollute the tank very quickly if overfed.

Floersheimer12
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Squidman,

I don't know what's going on with my Gourami, it started developing a large blackish-brown growth near the tail area, and I hope it's nothing serious. At first I thought it was some sort of egg sack because I have two gouramis (although I'm not sure if the other is a female). Please help! I don't think it has anything to do with the fish being fat or overfed....but i could be wrong.

thanks.

lasm
12-21-2007, 05:07 PM
do you have pics?

rnj79
01-12-2008, 04:10 AM
My male blue gourami started showing signs of illness yesterday. He has a huge area on his top side. His fins look frayed and he has a reddish brown area under his gills by his bottom fin. This morning, the area on his head was covered with a fungus looking coating. It's white and fuzzy in appearence. We did a 25% water change over the weekend and cleaned the tank really well, now he is sick. What is wrong with my fishy?

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 12:33 AM
White fuzz is fungus. You should get anti-fungus medicine, and put him in your hospital tank.