PDA

View Full Version : Green Terror/Jack Dempsey??

zackish
12-19-2007, 02:07 AM
1 Green Terror and 1 Jack Dempsey in a 65 gallon tank....is this a possibility or not even close?
I know I have been putting up a million posts about cichlids but I am trying to decide what I want.
I think one possibility would be several firemouths and several severums but I really like Dempseys and Terror's too.
Even if there is a way to only incorporate one of the two. Perhaps say a green terror then 3-4 severums.
Are any of these stocking options possible or would I have to pick the dempsey or the terror?

TowBoater
12-19-2007, 02:14 AM
I think it's fine and you could even have like a featherfin or something.

zackish
12-19-2007, 02:18 AM
A jack and a G. terror!! I hope, I want to hear some others inputs. I was reading up with some peoples comments on another site and some said they had the 2 housed together. Would a male and female of each be going too far or 1 male and 1 female Green terror and then just one dempsey?

I just looked at your profile and saw you had a 55 with a terror a severum and an oscar....that sounds pretty jammed with fish that size. How do they act and how big are they?
Also, is the terror very personable? Will it come to the glass and such when you come in the room?

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Careful. 65 gallons is only 36 inches long. It may have a disadvantage over a 55 due to the length.

You need to stay away from those big boys I think. Fish swim back and forth and not up and down so the length is what you need to be looking at.

zackish
12-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Careful. 65 gallons is only 36 inches long. It may have a disadvantage over a 55 due to the length.

You need to stay away from those big boys I think. Fish swim back and forth and not up and down so the length is what you need to be looking at.

That is what I was thinking...unfortunetly.
My stand is like 3 inches short of being able to hold a 48 inch tank. If I could I would have bought a 75. But then again, a 65 is 5 inches wider. Which is considereable because you figure a 55 is only 13" wide and a full grown cichlid like a jack or a terror could only turn around with minimal room, feeling like they are cramped.
If that doesn't work, how does the 3-4 firemouth and 3-4 severum idea sound?

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2007, 02:43 AM
You know, zack, you can easily make a stand from block.

OR..... if the stand you will be using is only 1 1/2" short on each end, you could lay down some 2x4's across the top (48" long) and then put your tank on top of those. As long as all 4 corners have support, you will be OK as long as you have a good, sturdy stand.

My bedroom dresser will be my next 55 gallon stand.

A 75 is 18 wide and a 65 is 19 wide.

zackish
12-19-2007, 02:48 AM
AAA god this hobby just keeps going. $$$ it never ends. There are so many things I could do. I really just wanted to drop $160 on a tank with hood and buy some substrate, get some bricks and flowerpots and fake plants and the fish and call it a day. I know the stand won't cost that much more but now we're talking a bigger tank blah blah blah haha.
We'll have to see....I have a really nice stand right now and I don't know if I want to alter it.
Someone informs me that I could get a JD and a few firemouths, I don't know how that sounds?
I kind of like the terrors better but from what I am reading they are even more aggressive.

TowBoater
12-19-2007, 02:50 AM
I don't have a terror, I have a jack, oscar, and severum. I have excellent filtration and I know it is over stocked but I have a big tank on layaway that is my secret.

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2007, 02:55 AM
You'll figure it all out. I just wanted to let you know there is a very cheap option if you did want to go with a 55.

zackish
12-19-2007, 03:24 AM
You'll figure it all out. I just wanted to let you know there is a very cheap option if you did want to go with a 55.
If I was going to go for length I would go for the 75.
Out of the terror and the dempsey which is less aggressive? From what I understand the Dempsey is.

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2007, 04:21 AM
I believe so as well.

Ya know, when I got my firemouth and my blood parrots in exchange for my angels, the guy wanted to give me his JD. I didn't have room for it but wish I would have.

zackish
12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Do you like your blood parrots hobbs? I think they are kind of funny looking.

TowBoater
12-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I think jacks are rather aggressive, always heard terrors are more timid. I would get a variety of cichlids, 2 or three types.

zackish
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Green Terror, Severum, 3 Firemouths?

TowBoater
12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
If you add them at the same time or severum first then I see nothing wrong but it is at the edge of stocking level.

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Do you like your blood parrots hobbs? I think they are kind of funny looking.

I love my blood parrots but I have to tell you, they are plenty mean. I can't put my hand in the tank without getting attacked. They are a pair and constantly either pre-spawning, spawning, or post spawning so always in the mood for a good fight. If they were not a pair they would probably be more friendly. I have thought of separating them but they've been together since tiny and I think it would be mean now to take away their mate so will leave as is.

But I do like them a lot. Don't be fooled when people say they can't eat. They have 0 problem with cichlid sticks, flakes, pellets, blood worms....anything. They would not grow to 8" if they couldn't eat, would they?

Hairback357
02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
I have had a few JD's and Green Terrors and this is what I think. When they are small the JD is more aggressive. Green Terrors are usually pretty mellow when they are young. When they are adults I would say they are very close to the same. I think the Green Terrors pick more fights than the JD but the JD when it has had enough will get ugly fast. Both of these fish are middle of the road as far as aggression goes in my experience.

This is generally speaking as I have seen a JD a few years back that must have been part Piranha because he was super mean. He had to be kept alone as he would kill every fish put in with him until my buddy found a Red Devil that was about the same size. The Red Devil calmed the Jack right down and the two fish lived together for a long time.

NWMountainTroll
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Both of those fish would be fine in a 65 mate, you might even consider getting some dither fish like giant danios or something. They both get about 3-9 inches which means that a 36 inch tank is 4 times their length, so that's plenty of swimming room as well as turning around room with an 18 inch deep tank.

Agressiveness might become an issue but with some dithers in there you should be ok. Either one of those fish would make a great centerpiece fish though by itself.

cocoa_pleco
03-07-2008, 03:02 PM
this thread is from december