PDA

View Full Version : earth worms

lasm
12-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Hello there,

I've been doing some reading about feeding live food to my community tank.

Most of the reading that I've done suggest earth worms because they are rich in nutrients. So, I asked myself... where can I get earth worms? And I figured out that they carry earth worms for bite at walmart.

My question is...

Would it be safe to feed the walmart earth worms for bite to my community tank?

If it's so... how often should I feed them?

smaug
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I have fed bait type earthworms many times to my community fish.Its more of a treat then a staple for mine.Ive bought them from many source and sometimes I just get them from my garden.I would think that purchased worms should be fine,Ive never had trouble with them.

Siamese Fighter 1
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
i find mine in the garden too.i leave them in a empty bowl for six hours or more to get rid of any thing in their body.i chop them to small pieces and done a treat for all your fishes

ganoderma
12-20-2007, 08:33 AM
are they good for kuhli loaches (sp?)?

Dave66
12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
are they good for kuhli loaches (sp?)?

Kuhli loaches love worms, but earth worms are too big for them to manage. White and Grindal worms are very easy to culture, and more appropriate for them as a three or four time a week treat.

Dave

liljagster
01-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I've also fed outdoor worms to my fish before... not earth worms, but the long medium brown colored slim ones. They are plentiful under rabbit hutches!! And they're free!

mitcore
01-12-2008, 04:08 AM
try your garden you know what you have put on the ground, it is better to feed the fish ones that have had no chemicals on them,

also cut them up it is easier for the fish to eat them, they are ok for the fish i gave my community tanks earth worms and they loved them, goobled them up fast too LOL