PDA

View Full Version : Keeping calcium up for mystery snails

Fishguy2727
12-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I want to make sure the calcium/hardness stays up enough in the 75 to make sure the snails stay healthy. I was thinking of filling one tray in one Fluval with crushed coral. Do you guys think this will do the trick? Or do you think there is a better method?

Dave66
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
I want to make sure the calcium/hardness stays up enough in the 75 to make sure the snails stay healthy. I was thinking of filling one tray in one Fluval with crushed coral. Do you guys think this will do the trick? Or do you think there is a better method?

CC in the Fluval will do it, Fishguy. It depends on your pH how much it'd harden your water.
Just wondering, though, what's the pH, gH, kH of your tap? The snails don't need much to form and maintain their shells; gH about 10 would do it. If your tap manages that, you could keep it stable with weekly partial water changes. My pH is 6.8, gH 4 and kH 6, and snails of all kinds have no problem with their shells.

Dave

msjinkzd
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
another way to manage calcium intake is by dosing liquid calcium (kent's marine is good, use the marine dosage, just dont' pour it directly on any of your critters). Another alternative to crushed coral is making homemade "vacation type feeders" out of home depot brand plaster of paris. You can add non-oily type foods to the plaster. The snails will graze on the blocks (i use ice cube trays to make them the appropriate size) and they will dissolve in the tank as well. These can be placed in the filter or in the tank out of direct flow (they erode quickly).

Rue
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I've been using Kent's Liquid Calcium as a breeder recommended...I just think I need to dose more often as they grow...

My older snails are about 5 months now...