PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to keep Honey Gouramis with Shrimp?

kurly
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Honey Gourami today. I have a few Red Cherry Shrimp in my tank right now. Will the Honey Gouramis bother the shrimp?

William
12-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I have never tried it but I don't think so. They might eat shrimp babies.

cocoa_pleco
12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
since the gouramis are topdwellers i doubt it

kurly
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Since they are topdwellers you doubt that I can keep the two together or you doubt that they will eat the baby shrimp?

William
12-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I think Cocoa is doubting that they will bother the shrimp but I might be wrong.

kurly
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I just want to make sure before I add one to the tank. I would hate for all my cherry shrimp to be gobbled up. They are a little too expensive to be fish food!

spudbuds
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I think gouramis will snack on shrimp (I got that advice a while ago). The honey is a smaller gourami I think so it may not be able to eat the adults. It will probably eat the babies a bit, but if you get anough RCS, they may be able to reproduce enough to offset any eating from one gourami. Also, provide a lot of coverage on the bottom of the tank for the RCS to hide under if needed.

- Bill

kurly
12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
I've got a couple of small bridge like caves that I put down in the substrate for the shrimp to hide in after molting etc but they never use them. Hopefully that will be enough cover for the future baby shrimp, that is if if the females ever reproduce.

I just really want a top dweller because it is pretty bare in the upper portion of my tank and I think the honey gourami will fill that need perfectly.

kurly
12-21-2007, 04:06 PM
edit....moved my question and made it a new thread.