PDA

View Full Version : Flourite, with sand on top?

kkevvy
12-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey, I have some flourite and shortly I'll be redoing my 20 gallon... I was wondering, is it possible to put the Flourite beneath maybe 1/3 inch of sand? I know some will seep down but I really like the sand look. is this possible at all? I might try it on my 10 gallon first.

gm72
12-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Anything like that is possible, yes. Not sure what the outcome would be like though, I'll be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2007, 03:48 AM
I think all the sand will settle under the Flourite and in time you won't see it at all.

Incredulous_Ed
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Get some coarser, larger grain sand, otherwise the sand will fall through the flourite. Also, use more than 1 3rd of an inch. Maybe 1 inch of sand. Be careful not to disturb the sand too much or it will fall under.

hpt84
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Please post the result, because I am very interested in your idea. If it is successful, I might try it out myself.

gm72
12-28-2007, 02:05 AM
So we have established that the sand, being smaller in diameter generally than the fluorite, will filter down through such. The question then becomes, will the mix of fluorite and sand be okay? I would think yes?

smaug
12-28-2007, 02:09 AM
A mixture of fluorite and "any" other substrate would work fine.I started out with my tank with the fluorite under fine river gravel,over time with doing different plantings and all those little burrowing trumpet snails it is totally mixed in.Its still good and works fine.

Dave66
12-28-2007, 02:10 AM
So we have established that the sand, being smaller in diameter generally than the fluorite, will filter down through such. The question then becomes, will the mix of fluorite and sand be okay? I would think yes?

You'd be correct thinking yes, GM. I keep a thin layer of course sand atop the gravel in tanks with Corydoras in them. In several years, the sand is still there, and the cory whiskers are intact.

Dave