PDA

View Full Version : Moss

Dixie
12-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I ordered some plants from Aquabid. They look pretty nice and the fish love nibbling on them. One of the plants I got was moss. I tied it to some rocks. It's kinda messy, pretty stringy and sometimes pieces get loose and get stuck in the filter. I noticed some moss growing right in my own yard sooooo I pulled some up. It came up in sort of a carpet like matt. I brought it in and rinsed all the dirt off the underneath side and tied it to the top of 2 caves in the tank. One cave is a store bought one and the other I made out of rocks that I've found in the yard too & tested with vinegar. It looks great (I think anyway) and the fish love it too. I'm having trouble with photobucket uploading the pics of it. Will try again later. I guess I'll find out eventually if it's the kind of moss that can live and grow underwater and I hope it doesn't hurt the fish. Does anyone know of any harm it could cause? It's been in the tank for a couple days now and hasn't change the water readings. They are good.

OscarFan
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
It might introduce parasites but I doubt it

Algenco
12-17-2007, 03:14 AM
It will die. It is a terrestrial moss, not aquatic. Sorry

Dixie
12-17-2007, 03:53 AM
ok thank you. It will look good for a while anyway, until it dies lol and the fish enjoy nibbling on it. At least it didn't cost anything:thumb:

Futureboy
12-17-2007, 03:57 AM
take it out as soon as it starts to die or else it might pollute your tank

Dixie
12-17-2007, 04:06 AM
I will. Thanks. It's been in there for 2 days now and still looks fine. I'll keep a close eye on it.