PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Eel - Damaged Tail

Tearsa
08-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Just this past Friday, 08-11-06, I purchased my first Peacock Eel..how wonderful! His/her (?) tail was a bit damaged, but not so that it would inhibit swimming. Knowing that they were nocturnal, I turned the light out before retiring for the evening and this morning, I found that his/her (?) tail appeared worse for wear. I have calm, community fish consisting of three Glofish (Zebra Danio's), one Von Rio Tetra (had other's, but they passed) and two Green Lyre-Tail Guppies. I also have a large black apple snail as well as a very large Ramshorn snail. Who would have suspected any of these angels would nip the eel!!???
In any event..will the damage repair itself? Will my eel heal its wounds? Will his/her tail grow back? Regenerate?
Yes, I DO have hiding places for my new friend and I know they like to burrow.
What shall I do? :roll:

octony
08-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Danios can be tail nippers i have had problems wtith them attcking mollies, espically when it is a pack of them on one siingled out fish

William
08-14-2006, 05:37 AM
are you sure it isn't fin rot`?

Tearsa
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
No, not fin rot, unless it happened overnight. Haven't noticed the Danio bothering anyone.
In any event, the poor dear passed away whilst I was cleaning my tank. I have since purchased yet another Peacock who seems to be doing just fine. I am concerned because I have not seen him eat, but I know they are nocturnal and IF he is eating, I assume that it is then. I've been making sure to turn off the tank light before retiring. I gave him frozen blood worms last night, but I'm not sure if he consumed them, or if someone else did.
Today, he's hiding behind a plant, unlike yesterday when he stayed buried in the sand.
Ideas, suggestions? Thanks all!

Full3R
08-17-2006, 03:55 PM
if possibly you could isolate him with no other fish in the tank and then feed him to see if he consumes it or not

Tearsa
08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Good idea, I do have a tank separater as well as another smaller tank. As he does not appear ill, I'll try the separater. Excellent!

stubbytheplecostomus
08-26-2006, 09:59 PM
when i kept a peacock eel i never saw him eat, sometimes they are shy and will only eat at night, sometimes they are bold and will eat from a persons hand, for this species they really depend on the individual. be careful with your water quality, spiney eels do not have scales and are very seceptable to condition changes. they also don't seem to tolorate stress, and the water change could have stressed him to much.
some things to help, keep water qaulity high, provide lots of caves and hiding places, provide a fine substrate for him to bury himself in. sometimes the fish stores feed them live feeder food, check with them to see what they feed their eels.