PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Bristlenose

Litespeed
12-16-2007, 02:23 PM
We have one bristlenose and 3 pictus catfish. We plan on feeding the bristlenose a piece of algae wafer once a week. How do we make sure the bristlenose gets to eat it without having the pictus eat it all first? I plan on putting a piece of wafer in the tank at night, around 8 pm when he usually comes out and then immediately turn out the lights.

jweintraub
12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Sounds like you've got a great plan there by putting in in before the lights go out. You can put it in after the lights go out too... just to make sure nobody else sees it.

rsretep
12-17-2007, 02:51 AM
just a suggestion but have you tried zucchinni inexpensive and easy to feed...i cut the zucchinni in pieces say 1inch long cut in half long ways and freeze them in a plastic sandwich bag....take out one piece at a time thaw and i weigh mine down with plants weights pierced through the skin to make it sink....all or any fish bottom dweller or not can have some but mostly my bottom dwellers will eat it eagerly...might be worth a try mine seem to love it:19: :19: :19:

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
I drop pellets in my tank every night.

Dixie
12-17-2007, 07:14 AM
I have NLS H2O 1/2" sinking stable wafers for my 2 Plecos. I feed 1 wafer 3 x per day breaking each wafer into 4 pieces. My 2 Leporinus also eat them though and sometimes the cichlids will have a bite too.

Siamese Fighter 1
12-17-2007, 07:18 AM
everyone have different way of feeding theer pleco i feed mine cucumber 3 times aweek and the rest the old algea wafer:thumb:

Litespeed
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I tried feeding broken up algae wafers for the bristle nose but the pictus catfish got a hold of it so fast, the bristle nose never got a chance to even see it. I was thinking of making a separate feeding station out of a piece of plastic tubing with only one opening large enough for the bristle nose but to small for the pitcus to get into. Do you think something like that would work? In the mean time I growing algae for the bristle nose out of the aquarium water and stones.
We just bought some sinking pellets but the pictus get all those too. Help!:jaws: