PDA

View Full Version : How to upload pictures to our gallery

William
12-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Uploading pictures to the photo gallery

Some basics

- Pictures are not allowed to be bigger then 2500x2500 pixels.
- Images must be in one of the following formats .jpg,.jpeg,.png. Bmp pictures are not allowed as bmp is a very ineffective way to store pictures. If you have pictures in Bmp or other none supported format please convert them before trying to upload them.
- You don't need to have the pictures on your computer. You can upload them directly from an URL such as an photobucket account.
- Uploading pictures counts towards your postcount.

How to upload a photo

-click on upload photo in the top right corner of the screen.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/clickupload.gif

You are then taken to the upload page.

On this page you chose the category for your pictures. You can choose one of the general categories or your private album.

Once you have choose category you see a field that says: Select the photos you wish to upload from your computer: Here you click browse and locate the file you want to upload on your harddrive and choose it to upload. If you want to add a picture that ayou already have uploaded to the internet you should look further down on the page to the right (beneath the submit/upload button. There you'll find extra options and "Retrieve all images from a URL:" Enter the URL for you picture there. Under extra option you can also choose if you want to allow members to rate your pictures as well as a few other options.

In the field title you enter the name of your picture, preferable what the picture portraits.

In the field description you can write a short description of your picture and the equipment used. You don't have to do this but are very welcome to do so.

In the field keywords you write a few words that are related to the picture, including the name of the pictures. This will make it easier for people to find the picture.

When you have entered the data it should look something like this (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/upload1.gif).

Once you are done you click on upload/submit. Be patient. Uploading your picture can take a while, especially if you're on a slow connection.

After a while a new screen should appear. Here you can see a thumbnail of the image you are uploading as well as the information you entered about it. Here you can also choose extra categories for the picture if you think it suits more than one category. Check that all data is entered and correct. If not, correct it. When you are done you click on process to finish uploading the file. Make sure that the add photo box is checked. Otherwise the picture will not be added to our DB. Here you can see a screenshot of this screen and how it can look before clicking "process" (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/upload2.gif)

Hopefully you'll see a screen saying that the image upload was successful.

You have now added a picture to our gallery and can keep browsing our site, or even better upload another picture.

You can upload videos to our gallery using the same methods. If your movie is to big to be uploaded you can send me a pm and I'll fix it.

William
12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Let me know if there is anything you think needs to be added to this guide.

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
What I found that is so neat about the gallery is that you just load and load your photos to your hearts content. You don't have to add titles or comments or catagorize your photos on the first page. Just keep hitting browse, pick out your photos to upload and hit "Upload and Submit" at the bottom. Then go to Upload again.

You then get a showing of all the photos you have decided to add. You then add the titles to each one, direct the photos in which album you wish to store then, add comments you'd like to make, etc. One time only do you need to hit "Process." All your photos will go into the albums all at one time.

You need not hit "Process" for each and every photo.

Very cool to be able to catagorize individual photos into different albums all at once.

Ocellatus
12-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Thank you William. complete and clear. i read it and uploaded +30 of my oscars and fry pics in the gallery.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showgallery.php?ppuser=10386&cat=500

also i got 2 gallery awards http://qsmile.com/qsimages/15.gif
but why it says i have 92 photos? and i was given silver gallery award for +50 photos but i just have 31 right now.

I'll upload my other pics later.

Ocellatus
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
i think i found out! i selected 2 optional catagories for my pics beside member gallery ( tropical fish and american cichlid ) then its counted the pics triple.

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Yes, selecting that way your pic will go into all your albums. You may wish for them to not be all mixed up tho.

William
12-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Aha ok. Didn't know it counted pictures triple if it was entered into serverl categories. Well you live you learn.

Ocellatus
12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
can't it get fixed William? count every pic only 1 time?

William
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Perhaps. But i don't know how right now. Will have to look into it.

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2007, 02:54 PM
It would be easier to just put your fish in the catagory where you want them and not have the same picture in every album?

William
12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes. But people might want them in their personal album and a category album and it would be better if they didn't count twice if they do.

(not sure if they count twice than or if it's only when you but it in two category albums this problems arises.)

Ocellatus
12-18-2007, 05:59 PM
ok i edited all my 65 pics one bye one and removed one of additional catagories. now they are in member gallery and their related species section. ( most of them in american cichlid )
at least now are counted twice instead of triple!

also i found in edit mode its possible to add your pic in more than 3 catagories!
another thing! each view is counted twice!

randompete
04-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I've been looking for the answer to my problem but can't seem to find it, so here goes: I upload my photos and it tells me that the upload was successful but then they don't show up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes. Others have had this same question time and again. First the pictures load up but there is a second page that says PROCESS at the bottom of the screen. This step sends the photos to the gallery. Look for that second page and you'll have it.

dean30bb
06-12-2008, 02:41 AM
i know this mite sound stipid but i cant find upload pictures on the top right hand corner of my sreen like it shows it the picture lol
could sumone plz help me

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Ok, I feel dumb, but how do I add multiple photos with one upload?

Minderella83
06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I cant find it either on the right hand corner?

William
06-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Ok, I feel dumb, but how do I add multiple photos with one upload?

Bulk uploads is currently not activated as it can make uploading a bit confusing.

i know this mite sound stipid but i cant find upload pictures on the top right hand corner of my sreen like it shows it the picture lol
could sumone plz help me

I cant find it either on the right hand corner?

Make sure that you are logged in to the forum when you browse the gallery and want to upload photos

dean30bb
06-15-2008, 07:29 AM
i really cant find how to upload pictures, i can upload videos.
and i cant even find the gallery
:scry:

William
06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
The gallery is here
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/

You can find the link in the left menu near the top.

dean30bb
06-16-2008, 10:06 AM
thanks mate now i did it

tanks4thememories
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
When i Click upload it acts like its loading the pic but then it sends me to my gallery and there is no pics there. Can somone please help?

dean30bb
08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
i no that someones probly already asked this question but is ther a way that u can upload multiple photos at the same time or do u just have to do it one by one?

NanoTankGuy
08-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I'll just pitch in for people asking that question: it uploads it but they don't show up... the processing page with a thumbnail doesn't show up. What do I do? Thx.

sPuD
11-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I uploaded a picture twice. si treid to delete one of them up i can't! it just comes upwit no tumbnail or something

So how do you delete photos that you have uploaded?

acbus
06-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes, i c that. :)

Wild Turkey
06-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, i c that. :)

We still havent fixed that???? :hmm3grin2orange: I will double check and confirm it hasnt been fixed for you

Edit: Yup seems we never fixed that, the options for non moderators are as follows still: Add to Favorites · Post a Comment · Report Photo · Send as e-Card · Receive Email Updates

No delete option.

William
06-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Send me a PM if you want a picture deleted.

The delete function is disabled for members due to incidents in the past.

Wild Turkey
06-21-2009, 04:39 AM
What type of incidents? :ssuprised: If you would rather not say I understand why, just interesting that we wouldnt be allowed to delete our own pictures, and seems pretty inefficient to do it manually for every person, especially as the site gets bigger.

mac
06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
What type of incidents? :ssuprised: If you would rather not say I understand why, just interesting that we wouldnt be allowed to delete our own pictures, and seems pretty inefficient to do it manually for every person, especially as the site gets bigger.

I quite agree about that. But I am sure there is a good reason.

mac

Trillianne
05-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Are there restrictions on members editing their own photos?

I uploaded 4 photos at once, and on the process screen they looked correct, but once I hit process they all ended up with the same name/description/tags.

I didn't see an edit option, or delete (which reading here is not available.)

taralm13
06-12-2010, 05:35 PM
So I am trying to upload some photos and I seem to be able to do so but the issue I am having is that the photos are ending up out of order and the comments I am posting on each photo are changing to the same comment for every photo I am uploading. How do I fix this? (before I hit the process button...)

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
So I am trying to upload some photos and I seem to be able to do so but the issue I am having is that the photos are ending up out of order and the comments I am posting on each photo are changing to the same comment for every photo I am uploading. How do I fix this? (before I hit the process button...)

It's easier to upload each photo and write nothing until you are finished with the uploads and at the "process" page. Then you can add what you would like to say about each photo there. You can do edits as well. See post below.

When I add photos, I do them just as you do here in the forum. Upload a photo, then another and then another. Once finished with uploads, you then submit. In the gallery, you upload, upload, upload and then a final page comes up to add comments and move them where you would like them. And then you hit Process.

Are there restrictions on members editing their own photos?

I uploaded 4 photos at once, and on the process screen they looked correct, but once I hit process they all ended up with the same name/description/tags.

I didn't see an edit option, or delete (which reading here is not available.)

Click on the picture to enlarge it and when it is enlarged, you should see the option under it to edit/delete.

taralm13
06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Is there any way to reorder the pics? I added them in the order I wanted but then they got all mixed up!

Newman
09-09-2010, 03:23 AM
:22: Thanks Ara.:goldfish: Forgot to reduce the sizes.:fish: Like the web site. Be comeing back more often.

mermaidwannabe
11-14-2010, 03:57 PM
I've added this instruction page to my favorites menu for quick reference whenever I need it. Thanks ever so much. I've been wondering how to do this ...

By the way, how many kbs is that pixel range you indicated? My storage area only shows number of kbs or mbs for each pic, but doesn't tell me the number of pixels. What is the maximum number of kbs allowed per pic?

-- mermaidwannabe

Lady Hobbs
11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Click on any photo in that gallery to make it larger and it will tell you what size it is under the photo.

I just clicked on one photo there and this is the size of it.
Dimensions: 1280 x 960 ·

I've never had to resize a photo but perhaps if it was ridicously large you'd have to.

mermaidwannabe
11-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Okay, but that doesn't say how many kbs or mbs it is. It just gives the dimensions. The storage area for my pics on my computer doesn't present their sizes in dimensions. It just tells me how many kbs or mbs each photo is. How do I find out the maximum kbs or mbs allowed for gallery pics? I don't know how to convert the dimension numbers into kbs or mbs. Is there a calculation to determine that?

-- mermaid

zxtuner
09-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I have tried to attatch them and load them from fliker and niether of those ways has worked. Is there a third way to upload?

Cliff
09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I have tried to attatch them and load them from fliker and niether of those ways has worked. Is there a third way to upload?

Have you read the below thread yet ?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=82453

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Are you trying to put them in the Gallery here? If so, you might have to save your photos to a file on your computer and then load into the gallery from your picture file. At least the page says:
Select the photos you wish to upload from your computer. It says nothing about entering the code from another website.

If you're talking about entering the photos in the forum, Cliff gave you a link for that.

Scrup
09-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I have had to resize most of my pics to get them to upload to the gallery. 1280x1024 seems to be a safe resolution.

It would be great if there were a way to mass upload pics though. Gets tedious when you have 20-30 pics you wanna put up.

And they might be referring to the
"If you want to add a picture that you already have uploaded to the internet you should look further down on the page to the right (beneath the submit/upload button. There you'll find extra options and "Retrieve all images from a URL:" Enter the URL for you picture there. Under extra option you can also choose if you want to allow members to rate your pictures as well as a few other options."

I've never had any luck with that option.

SamandAnne
11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
It's easier to upload each photo and write nothing until you are finished with the uploads and at the "process" page. Then you can add what you would like to say about each photo there. You can do edits as well. See post below.

Click on the picture to enlarge it and when it is enlarged, you should see the option under it to edit/delete.

I am missing the place where you can edit after posting. I'm hoping to edit the title and keywords to my photo (or delete it and re-upload it with the corrected info), but I am not seeing the option you're describing. Is it on this page (screenshots attached...first is of photo page and second is when I click on the picture to enlarge it)? Or was that only before you hit "process," and not after? This is already uploaded/processed. Thanks!

Goes to 11!
11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I am missing the place where you can edit after posting. I'm hoping to edit the title and keywords to my photo
It's possible it has the same 15 minute time limit the forums have, But I am only guessing.

Trillianne
11-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Once you have finalized the upload a mod would need to edit or delete it for you.

There are some limitations with the gallery, and that is one of them.

However, the mods here are super helpful, so feel free to just PM one of them.

SamandAnne
11-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I was able to contact a mod to delete the photo. :)

Flyby Stardancer
06-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Okay, I'm trying to upload to the galleries, and it's not working well. My pictures are either at or under the 2500 pixel size, so I don't know why it's not letting me. I've tried uploading from both my computer and from my Photobucket account, and neither one will work.

Cliff
06-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Have you tried resizing them to 800 X 800 pixels ?

Flyby Stardancer
06-25-2013, 03:02 AM
I hadn't, since the instructions said 2500. I'll have to wait a bit to try 800--bad happened to my computer.

Flyby Stardancer
06-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Okay, I just reduced my pictures to 800 pixels on the widest side (They're 600 tall, to preserve ratio). Still getting the same error.

eclecticjanie
11-04-2017, 04:05 PM
How do I share a video I've made from you tube to here please?
It the diy refugium build.
Thanks in advance!

Slaphppy7
11-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Post the link to the video on your thread.

In front of the link (no spaces), type "video" within brackets ([])....at the end of the link (no spaces), type /video in brackets.

AmazonJoe
11-04-2017, 05:38 PM
I've noticed now if you just paste the link it automatically creates the video brackets

Slaphppy7
11-04-2017, 05:40 PM
That's even simpler, thanks Joe, did not know that

eclecticjanie
11-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Thank You!