PDA

View Full Version : nothing happening- why

shockshockshad
12-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I got a 65 watt light for my aquarium, because there wasnt enough (only 20 watts) but everything is getting worse. the blood stargrass is gone, and so is the rotala indica. it was great, then started going away, and then when I got the BETTER light, it turned to brown stuff, and i accidently sucked it up in the gravel vacuum it was so....brown and eww. Shouldn't the plants grow really well now? either plants are the same or worse,

stats.....
---compact 65 watt 6700k bulb (with actinic and lunar lights, but that doesnt matter)

---ferts 3 times a week

---flourish excel as CO2

---1mm gravel and laterite as substrate.

kkevvy
12-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Essentially, the 20 watt 6700K light is the same as the 65 watt 6700K light. You should have gotten the 10000k light.

And cut back on the ferts. I do them 2x a week at the most. At the very most.

And is your whole bottom layer of gravel/ substrate combined only 1mm? Thats a problem as well because its so little that the roots cant gain hold and that cold from the bottom of the aquarium glass will drastically cool it. But I probably just interpreted that wrong.

cocoa_pleco
12-16-2007, 07:24 AM
good point, 1mm is extremely little gravel

Dave66
12-16-2007, 07:31 AM
You should have at least two inches of substrate; more if you plan on growing the larger sword plants. Those stem plants need not only proper lighting; they need 30 to 35 ppm Co2 to thrive.

Dave

shockshockshad
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
no no no!!! the gravel is 1 millimeter WIDE! I said that because you cant grow plants in pea gravel. there is 2 iches in front, sloping up in the back to 3-4.

gm72
12-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Essentially, the 20 watt 6700K light is the same as the 65 watt 6700K light. You should have gotten the 10000k light.

I don't at all understand this statement. 3 times the wattage and it is essentially the same?

Algenco
12-16-2007, 03:31 PM
You need the wattage, anything from 6000k - 10,000k is fine.

shockshockshad
12-16-2007, 03:39 PM
soooo, whats wrong? Do I need CO2? Would a yeast one work? And would it lower pH?

squirt_12
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
soooo, whats wrong? Do I need CO2? Would a yeast one work? And would it lower pH?
yes that would work....thats what i am using on mine.

gm72
12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
You need the wattage, anything from 6000k - 10,000k is fine.

Right. That's what I was thinking. A 20 watt bulb is not anywhere near the same as a 65 watt bulb. I believe plant photosynthesis peaks at around 6700k, hence the reason most plant bulbs are either just 6700k or, like the bulbs I use (Sunpaq) are dual 6700k and 10000k.

shockshockshad
12-16-2007, 05:50 PM
my bulb is dual 6700k too, does that make a difference? what does it do, or is it just 2 bulbs?

gm72
12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds like we are talking about a CF bulb, yes? It means that in a single socket there are two separate bulbs, each outputting at 6700k. Bulbs such as that are fine.

smaug
12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
shock said:my bulb is dual 6700k too, does that make a difference? what does it do, or is it just 2 bulbs?
You are doing everything right.There is a plant disease known as cryptocoryne rot,it sometimes manifests itself in planted tanks that have just had a great change in the environs,such as yours did.Your plants could have kicked off for any number of reasons,none of which have a thing to do with the difference between 6700 and 10000k ratings.Clean your tank up get rid of any plant that is showing major signs of weakness and get new plants.Your lighting is fine,your ferts are on the correct schedule if you are using the right ferts[iron,pottasium,possibly nitrogen}also flourish by seachem is a good booster.If your ph is good for plants 6-7 is a good range,and your temp is good 75-80 deg then you have all the correct equipment.I have never used DIY co2 or any pressurized co2 either,I use excel in slightly elevated dosings.Your substrate is also perfect for the job as well,hang in there,plants in tanks are not as easy as they look.

shockshockshad
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
my pH is 7.8. My fert is kent freshwater plant. Yes, gm, its a CF, a dual satellite (thats the brand, satellite) So just get new plants, and just wait, and it will be fine?

smaug
12-16-2007, 10:26 PM
7.8ph is very high for plants,some will disagree,but it is.Now especially what is your total hardness,if you are up in the teens then in combination with a high ph you will find it very difficult to grow most plants.A proper KH for good growth would be 3-7 and a GH of less the 10 or 11.Kent is a good fert but you may need more as I mentioned earlier.Concentrate on getting a lower ph in a low 7 to high 6 and find out what your hardness levels are.Dont fret too much if they are all bad,my water is high ph and hardness as well but I use the chems to adjust,it depends how badly you want a planted tank.

gm72
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I think so. Keep in mind that I am also new to planted tanks and am still learning a lot, but your plan sounds very good. Be careful dosing phosphorus. I overdid it and had to wipe out about half of my plants due to excessive hair algae. I have found my new phosphorus kit to be a savior in this regard.

shockshockshad
12-17-2007, 12:29 AM
There is brown stuff on the rocks, I wonder if its algae? but it comes off with a gravel vacuum. I thought you dont want to mess with pH, and I dont have a gh ot kh test kit, only in the strips I had, but those arent good. What should I do?

smaug
12-17-2007, 03:23 AM
It is always best to keep fish and plants that will do well in your tapwaters natural unadjusted state.However if there are fish and plants that you would like to keep that will not do well in your unadjusted water then you will have to do something to the water in order to remedy that.Adjusting your ph is not a big deal to accomplish you just need the proper chems.I use seachem acid buffer which will bring down your ph while at the same time lowering your KH in turn it will also help to create CO2.It is in a granular form and I have found it to be a very good product.You will need to get a GH/KH test kit and I recomend the API kits.The brown algae on your rocks could be diatom algae,how long was this tank set up?If its fairly new[3-4months]dont worry about it it will go away.if this is an older tank then I would guess it to be detritus from your dying plants.Dont give up,I almost did many times,everything has come around nicely for me it will for you also.

shockshockshad
12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
thats exactly how old it is- 3 months (well, with fish, not including cycling). My fish are fine in the pH. the least hardy in my tank are peppered cories. Do I have to add the acid buffer every time I do a water change? i use a python, so how would i do that?

smaug
12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Do I have to add the acid buffer every time I do a water change? i use a python, so how would i do that?
You would need to add whatever chems you would use when water testing showed them to be neccesary.With experience you would learn how much.I end up adding a teaspoon a week to my tank which is 58 gal.My natural ph is 7.5 and my kh is naturally 7-8,the above dose keeps me at 6.6ph with a 3-4KH.This is my tank your would likely be different.Just add the chems directly to your tank at the same time you are doing your python water change,just make sure to do everything the same every time.

shockshockshad
12-18-2007, 12:25 AM
So.....how would I acclimatize my fish to the new pH?

smaug
12-18-2007, 02:12 AM
So.....how would I acclimatize my fish to the new pH?
slowly would be best.

shockshockshad
12-18-2007, 08:59 PM
well, i mean they are already in the tank. so how would i do that?

smaug
12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
You would do it by adding the neccesary chems to the tank to lower your ph or change your hardness.Just do it over a period of a few days you do not want to lower ph by more the .2 a day.Get whatever chems you have decided to use and follow the manufacturers directions carefully and you will be fine.Here is a link to the product I recomend.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198593/product.web

shockshockshad
12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I am going to the LFS tommorow. if they dont have that kind, i will tell you what they have. i cant get it tommorow and start it, because i am leaving sunday for vacation, but if you tell me the right one by then, i can get it a week from this coming monday.