PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

robare
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
About a week ago, I notice a growth on my oscar's "chin", and noticed some patches of white. I spoke with my local pet store and decided to treat for fungus. Seems the white is gone, except for what may or not be a patch on one fin. But the growth on the chin seems to have gotten worst and may be starting something inside the mouth.

Here is a picture from today:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/Dec152007002.jpg

Here is a picture from last week:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/Dec82007008.jpg

Any ideas on what this might be and how I should treat it? Or is it nothing at all. Should I re-treat for fungus? My other fish are showing no signs.

Dave66
12-15-2007, 10:34 PM
It looks like something is jammed in his mouth, like a piece of wood or similar. If you can restrain your fish, you could take a pair of tweezers and see if you can get it out. Make sure your hands are wet before grabbing the fish. Clean rubber gloves are better than bare hands.

Dave

robare
12-16-2007, 01:05 AM
It looks like something is jammed in his mouth, like a piece of wood or similar. If you can restrain your fish, you could take a pair of tweezers and see if you can get it out. Make sure your hands are wet before grabbing the fish. Clean rubber gloves are better than bare hands.

Dave

Tried it, he was surprisingly willing to do it. I did not find anything in the area to pull out. Seemed like the skin was soft, almost blistery. Still could be something in there, just not able to get at it.

Dave66
12-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Please keep me posted on your fishes' health. It could be a soft tissue injury that will heal itself in time. If he goes off feed, it's possible that its a tumor; benign or otherwise. Again, keep me posted.

Dave

Ocellatus
12-16-2007, 06:53 AM
sorry i don't know what is that or how to cure it, but i've seen that thing ( not as big as yours ) on some oscars chin, thought its not harmful. i'll ask my oscaric friends!

Fishguy2727
12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
It does seem familiar like I have seen it before, so I would just keep a close eye on it and see how it goes.

robare
12-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Ok, I'll keep you all posted. Actually today, it looks a little whiter. Hopefully he doesn't have more fungus problems on top of it.

Thanks!

OscarFan
12-17-2007, 02:11 AM
I think I also see some hole in the head

cocoa_pleco
12-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I think I also see some hole in the head

thats not HITH, its the oscars nostrils.

Wait and see if the injury develops, if it gets worse please take a picture

Ocellatus
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
well i got some answers, hope it helps.

bring him out of the water and touch the cyst, if its soft and baggy then probably its a fungal cyst. for an effective cure you can get a Nystatin ointment from drugstore and apply it directly on the cyst. it belongs to a class of drugs called antifungals and will destroy the fungus. then you can use Tetracycline capsule to help the wound treatment. ( use it in quarantine tank, one 250 milligrams capsule for each 10g water. )

my friend has treated under mouth cysts of oscars and flowerhorns this way.
but he said if the cyst is rigid, its difficult to obviate.

Bassfan
12-18-2007, 03:53 AM
thats not HITH, its the oscars nostrils.

Wait and see if the injury develops, if it gets worse please take a picture

You know, i was looking at my albino tiger oscar today and thought the same thing but then realized it was what you said lol. but ive heard oscars get that in the same place because they are getting older.

robare
12-18-2007, 05:05 AM
well i got some answers, hope it helps.

bring him out of the water and touch the cyst, if its soft and baggy then probably its a fungal cyst. for an effective cure you can get a Nystatin ointment from drugstore and apply it directly on the cyst. it belongs to a class of drugs called antifungals and will destroy the fungus. then you can use Tetracycline capsule to help the wound treatment. ( use it in quarantine tank, one 250 milligrams capsule for each 10g water. )

my friend has treated under mouth cysts of oscars and flowerhorns this way.
but he said if the cyst is rigid, its difficult to obviate.

When I had him out the other day, it did seem soft and baggy. So I guess that's a good thing. It is turning white, so I'm guessing he's getting more fungus on him, I'm thinking a mouth fungus on top of the cyst.. Last week I treated the tank with two applications of API Fungus Cure. (supose to treat fungus, mouth fungus, body slime and eye cloud, and fin & tail Rot). I wanted the tank to settle down a bit before any more treatments. But the Nystatin ointment sounds topical, so that might be ok. Do you think I should re-treat for fungus again?

I don't have a quarantine tank...never needed one before. So I'm not sure about the Tetracycline treatment. Maybe more advice here would be helpful. My other fish are all doing fine (2 jacks, 2 green terrors, 2 fanfin catfish, 1 pleco). This is all in a 90+ gallon tank. Most are still somewhat small. Oscar is largest at about 6".

Very Helpful, thanks for looking into this more for me!

Ocellatus
12-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Your welcome.

if its turning white again yes i think you should retreat for fungus. Nystatin topical ointment should work fine.
don't use tetracycline in your main tank with other fish.
i think aquarium salt is helpful if you have not live plants, it won't ruin the cycle and no problem with other fish if you use in normal dosage.
1 tablespoon for each 10g. you can remove it whenever you want by a few partial water changes.

robare
12-20-2007, 03:30 AM
We went to the local walgreens to get the Nystatin ointment, but they said you need a Rx for it. They said there was no over the counter for it.

I'll be retreating the tank for fungus this weekend. Did a partial water change tonight. He seems to be doing ok, no signs of white on other areas of the body, except where the cyst is.

Here's a pic from tonight. He's not too happy with me, and doesn't want to come out for pictures.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/Dec192007017.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/Dec192007016.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/Dec192007012.jpg