PDA

View Full Version : Substrate question(s)

digital3
12-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey folks,

So here is my little sitch... I am slowly learning through tons of research everything I need to know to get my 55 gallon nice and healthy. It started with the "fishless cycle," then filtration, then lighting. So now I'm moving on to substrate. More specifically, substrate for plants.

As I've been pouring through the forums and the net I'm coming to a depressing realization. But I'm prepared to deal with it, if it's true. The substrate that was sold to me has crushed shells in it. Is this bad for a planted tank and does it raise my PH levels? If so, I'm thinking of getting a tank divider and slowly replacing my substrate about 4-5 inches at a time, in weekly intervals so I don't totally upset the balance of my tank. Do you think that would be a good solution.

In looking for a decent plant substrate, I've come accross this stuff:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss-1.htm (http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss-1.htm)

It seems a little over-hyped (read the comments) and too good to be true. Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks in advance for any advice. This forum rocks!!!

kkevvy
12-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Shultz's aquarium plant soil, 10 pounds for 7 bucks at Home Depot or Lowe's... Add some plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, and its great.

digital3
12-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Shultz's aquarium plant soil, 10 pounds for 7 bucks at Home Depot or Lowe's... Add some plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, and its great.

Thanks I'll check that out. Anybody else have any input...?

Lady Hobbs
12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I change my substract all at once. I do get a slight ammonia spike for a few days but it calms down right away. Between the filter media, the rocks and wood and everything else in the tank, it doesn't take long.

I added sand to two tanks Sunday. Today my ammonia levels are .25. You just need to monitor it closely for a few days.

If you can drain your tank, move your fish out for a couple hours it's a lot easier and you can plant your tank easily without it full of water. Lay a plastic bag over everything when done and fill slowly and you'll have mininum clouding.

gm72
12-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I came across the same substrate and was pointed to a link where it was compared to...I don't remember what, but it ended up being the EXACT same thing just repackaged.

Does anyone remember that thread? It was months ago. I can't seem to find it just now.

Dave66
12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Bite the bullet and go with Eco-Complete. Put a half-inch layer of granulated laterite below the Eco and you're set. Of course, then we talk about Co2 . . . .

Dave

digital3
12-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Thanks dudes and dudettes... Yeah I'm definitely going to have to replace it.

I read in a thread about scooping the gravel up and leaving it in a stocking within the tank for a few weeks so the bacteria can have time to colonize the new substrate. I think it was Cocoa's suggestion. And C02 is definitely in my future. I got some extra cash so I'm thinking of setting up a full system with a C02 tank and all. There happens to be a welding supply shop down the street from me and I'll probably get my canister from there. But I'm still pouring over that info as well.

So am I right about the crushed sea shells...?

Thanks again for the replies.

gm72
12-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm going to take a shot at this, but PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

The crushed sea shells will allow more carbonate calcium to become available, thereby raising pH and kH.

IRONHEAD
12-17-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm gonna replace my substrate with some ADA subsrate. Read about it here.

http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm

I just like the look of it better than any other plant substrate I've seen. It matches my vision of what my tank should look like one day. Of course, I hope that one day it will be difficult to see through all the lush vegetation. :)

digital3
01-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Well I finally replaced my substrate with Dave's suggestion. It took me half the day, but my tank looks awesome with the Eco-Complete. Also, because the gravel is dark, it doesn't reflect my high light as much, making my tank look more attractive. My fish seem to like it as well. My featherfin is swimming all over the place. He's usually so shy. Also on one of my plants I saw a small little sprout already popping up by the end of the day. So it looks like it's rocking.

I checked my water at the end of the day and zero ammonia and nitrates. I think the trick was that I left my old water in my Canister filter with all of the biological media. So my bacteria was left in tact.

ECO-Complete is AWESOME!!!

Next it's on to a pressurized CO2 system!!!!

Thanks again Dave!

Dave66
01-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Well I finally replaced my substrate with Dave's suggestion. It took me half the day, but my tank looks awesome with the Eco-Complete. Also, because the gravel is dark, it doesn't reflect my high light as much, making my tank look more attractive. My fish seem to like it as well. My featherfin is swimming all over the place. He's usually so shy. Also on one of my plants I saw a small little sprout already popping up by the end of the day. So it looks like it's rocking.

I checked my water at the end of the day and zero ammonia and nitrates. I think the trick was that I left my old water in my Canister filter with all of the biological media. So my bacteria was left in tact.

ECO-Complete is AWESOME!!!

Next it's on to a pressurized CO2 system!!!!

Thanks again Dave!

You're welcome, D3. In a couple months when the plants really settle in you'll see some very good growth. With 30 ppm as well, explosive growth.

Dave

digital3
01-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Awesome! Thanks again! :22:

shockshockshad
01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
PICS PICS PICS!! lol