PDA

View Full Version : Apistogrammas in my community tank?

~Erik3.8.07~
12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
In one of those fish tanks that i'll be caring for at my school are apistogrammas. The teacher offered me a couple to take home but i dont know a whole lot about them so i said i'd research them a bit a get back to him. For some reason im having a bit of trouble finding good info so i got a few questions:

1) Are they generally peaceful and able to go into a community tank?
2) How aggressive would they get if i were lucky enough to get a breeding pair?
3) Can they eat some of my small fish? (most concerned about my guppies)

the fish i have are listed in my sig, they would go in the 46g

Fishalicious
12-15-2007, 02:22 AM
My faves Apisto's :1luvu: :1luvu:

They can do well in a community tank and I can't see any conflict with any of the fish you currently have.. the guppies, platies, danio's might annoy them as they are dithery fish but the apisto's will keep to themselves and hide more than usual if they are annoyed by them..

The only time they ever would become agressive is when spawning.. and even then it is usually a quick nip, nudge and a flare so nothing life threatening - the corys tend to get the worst as they are also bottom dwellers but they learn fast :c2:

There are only a few PH wise though that I would keep in a community... I don't know which ones you were planning on taking..

Cacatouides and Borrelli are most suited to a community tank...

~Erik3.8.07~
12-15-2007, 02:32 AM
well im really too sure what types they, but after looking at a couple pics i think they might be cacatuoides, but not positive, what i was really most concerned was the full grown ones had a good size mouth and was worried that they could eat the guppies, could they?

Fishalicious
12-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Only male Cacatouides get that huge Mick Jagger mouth ;) The females stay a lot smaller and no they will not touch a adult guppy... they will hunt the fry though..

~Erik3.8.07~
12-15-2007, 02:38 AM
all male guppies so no fry to worry about, i'll just have to take a look next time and see if i can pick out the females, thx fishalicious

Incredulous_Ed
12-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Generally peaceful. Keep 1 male with 1-2 females.

zeon
12-18-2007, 07:19 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for taking care of those tanks. It takes alot of time and you are a good person for doing it. I get random calls from my aunt cause she is an in home sitter for ederly. She stays with them and takes care of them, cooking cleaning and all that. Well she comes across some that have little aquariums and they always look awful. That is when she calls and says come help these fish. It is a great feeling to be able to help. :thumb: