PDA

View Full Version : DIY hatching your own eggs??? would it work?

squirt_12
12-14-2007, 08:35 PM
ok...so i know that alot of people get cichlid eggs and what not and the parents usually take care of the eggs. BUT....could you take the ggs out (say they were stuck on a rock) and then put the eggs into a fully cycled tank and run an air difuser under the eggs so that the bubbles hit the eggs. Would this help prevent the eggs from growing fungus or would it destroy the eggs??? thanks.

do you understand what i mean???

Dave66
12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
ok...so i know that alot of people get cichlid eggs and what not and the parents usually take care of the eggs. BUT....could you take the ggs out (say they were stuck on a rock) and then put the eggs into a fully cycled tank and run an air difuser under the eggs so that the bubbles hit the eggs. Would this help prevent the eggs from growing fungus or would it destroy the eggs??? thanks.

do you understand what i mean???

Squirt, many folks hatch the eggs away from the parents, which is why most angelfish make such lousy parents these days, because, to produce more spawns, they take the eggs away from the parents and hatch them artificially. That practice doesn't select for good parents, thus its rare to get a pair that know how to properly rear fry.
Tint the water with Methylin Blue, and that usually keeps fungus from attacking the eggs. The air stone should create current by the eggs, not on them, and its easier to prop the stone against the glass, and put the airstone beside it for the current.
Make sure to use a sponge filter in your fry tank, as no power filter is gentle enough for the fry.

Dave

Fishalicious
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I totally agree with Dave.. it is possible but it takes away the babies brooding instinct in adulthood which is why Rams & Angelfish as Dave said make such crappy parents - hey they never really learnt how to so it is not their fault.

Whenever I purchase fish I want to breed with from breeders I make sure they were raised with the parents.

squirt_12
12-15-2007, 12:17 AM
ok....the reason i am asking is because i know some people and the parents keep eating the fry once they are born so i thought that if there was a way that i could get the eggs out of the tank and then hatch them on their own in another tank to save the spawn.

Where would i get methyane blue from???

thanks Dave and Fishalicious.

country_boy454
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I also would like to know where to aquire Methylin Blue. I have searched lots of places and everyone keeps saying they have never heard of it. I would like to try and raise a batch of my convict eggs.

squirt_12
12-15-2007, 01:22 AM
i know that my highschool has it for chemistry....but thats the only place i have ever seen it.

Dave66
12-16-2007, 06:11 AM
I also would like to know where to aquire Methylin Blue. I have searched lots of places and everyone keeps saying they have never heard of it. I would like to try and raise a batch of my convict eggs.

You can get it here: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/5806

Forgot to provide a link when I mentioned it before.

Dave

country_boy454
12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
You can get it here: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/5806

Forgot to provide a link when I mentioned it before.

Dave

Thanks very much Dave! thumbs2: thumbs2: