PDA

View Full Version : Platy Problem Again

Tolley
12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi well this time its my new platy i've had her for a bit more than a week and well shes grown and grown - looks heavily pregnant.

Well i got home from school and checked on all my fish and eventually found her sitting on her belly on the bottom.

I put her in a breeder trap and she swims up occasionly but then her belly weighs her back down and now shes sitting a bit more lopsided.

I decided the trap was stressing her too much and tried to let her out but she started spazzing and not swiming jus sinking and going with the flow. so i put her bak in.

Included 2 pics of her.

Can anyone help me??

Tolley
12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
and a pic of her 2 days ago

Tolley
12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
bump............

Tolley
12-14-2007, 09:52 PM
great she died.............................................. ..........

Siamese Fighter 1
12-15-2007, 09:00 AM
sorry for your loss tolley.

Faith_at_Large
12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I am guessing by now you have figured out that she was probably not pregnant. My first female Platy got enormously fat before she died, but she was huge for months and it was clear that she was eating way too much (but I do not know why).

It is hard losing fish, but I hope that you will find a nice new one. I now have a Mickey Mouse Platy and a Red Wag Platy to keep my widowed Red Platy company (hopefully both new ones are female - they are also very young). He seems very happy with the new additions and is enjoying chasing them around the tank.

!!!
01-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi well this time its my new platy i've had her for a bit more than a week and well shes grown and grown - looks heavily pregnant.

Well i got home from school and checked on all my fish and eventually found her sitting on her belly on the bottom.

I put her in a breeder trap and she swims up occasionly but then her belly weighs her back down and now shes sitting a bit more lopsided.

I decided the trap was stressing her too much and tried to let her out but she started spazzing and not swiming jus sinking and going with the flow. so i put her bak in.

Included 2 pics of her.

Can anyone help me??
they swim lopsided and sit on the bottom of the trap when they're about to give birth... when they do that it's most likely they'll start giving birth in the next hour or 2 ...i know this cause once i noticed a platy doing that, i knew she had to be giving birth soon cause how fat she was so i watched for about an hour and witnessed it giving birth :D

when they swim like that it's prally the worst time to net them up and move them around cause it might cause the fish to abort the babies ...happened to me in the past, fry came out all broken in half :(

Tolley
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
old thread, but i don't think it was the worst time to net her.... i can't imagine being flown around the tank upside down is that fun, I preffered her safety rather than the fry.
I've seen a few of my other platies give birth before and they didn't lie down thats why i was worried.