PDA

View Full Version : tips on breeding convicts

octony
08-12-2006, 05:02 AM
i have four convicts in a 20 gallon with two caves and a pot, they have split up into two pairs each claiming a cave. The female sits in her cave and the male circles around her. I think this is a sign of spawning, if so any tips would be nice.

William
08-12-2006, 06:35 AM
sounds like it.

Don't know which tips to give you besides getting some fry food. Convicts are easy to breed so you just have to wait.

Fishguy2727
08-12-2006, 12:57 PM
make sure you have an outlet for the fry, and even then you may have a to cull most of them. it is best to breed one pair per tank. i feed fry hikari fancy guppy, it is a micro pellet food, almost like a powder. it has worked well for me for convict and platy fry. depending on what filter you have you may want to put some sort of strainer over the intake. for mine i use whisper filters and i just stick another bio-bag over the intake, this keeps the fry from becoming filter food.

octony
08-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I have a power filter as wel as a sponge filter in the convict tank. Ill give that a try.

niko001
09-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Try to have some good hiding places in your tank as when they start to breed you will experience a lot of running around and aggression. If you intend to keep the fry with their parents make sure that there are no one else in the tank as they would tend to eat each other's spawn. I keep mine in a 60L tank all by themselves for breeding. THey have large spawns but will have to remove the older generation as soon as possible as they would eat them all once they start to spawn again