PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fish

redviper748
02-21-2005, 01:38 PM
I have 2 small red oscars, and I was wondering what kinds of fish get along with them?

William
02-21-2005, 11:05 PM
How big is your aquarium?

This would help me recommend species. But on the top of my head i could suggest some of the bigger, not to aggresive acaras and vieja species. If your aquarium is large enough i would suggest P. managuense. A fish a really like and you can read more about here:

Parachromis managuense (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid171.html)

Buy fishes roughly the same size as your oscars when you buy new fish.

redviper748
02-22-2005, 01:55 AM
It is a 30 gallon tank right now. But within a couple months I think I am getting a 55 or 75, but probly a 75 gallon though.

William
02-22-2005, 12:38 PM
If you are getting a 75 galloni would definitly recommend getting the P. managuense since it is one of the most intressting fishes i ever keept. But it also depends on the level of aggression you want in your tank and so on. If you donīt mind a little more aggression then i would add a pair of P. managuense (there not hard to sex regardless of what people says) and a pair of N. festae alt N. friedrichstali. Big beatiful fishes thats not to hard to keep and breed.

redviper748
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Alright thanks!

Rage_A_Holic
01-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Sorry to say, Im going to have to disagree with that. severly disagree.

William specified the site, and in the first 10 lines, it reccomends a tank no less then 120 Gallons for 1 P Managuense, and a few other cichlids. 2 Oscars require 75-100 Gallons depending on how frequently you plan on doing water changes. therefore if your moving up to a 55Gallon... get rid of one of your Oscars before the nitrAtes get out of hand.

if your moving up to a 75... keep only the 2 Oscars, and filter the heck out of it, and hope they get along. if you want a P Managuense, and your 2 Oscars, get a 200Gallon tank. no less. If you want a pair of P. Managuense, a pair of Oscars, a few other cichlids, and you want your fish to be happy and healthy, get a 320Gallon, no less. if want all of the ones mentioned by William... get a lake.

Rage_A_Holic
01-07-2006, 07:14 AM
It boggles my mind that such poor advice can be given on an ADVICE site.

wow. Frankly I'm regretting signing up for membership here.