PDA

View Full Version : not so calm waters.

Pr0eve
12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
more questions,

I have 3 black skirts in my comm tank (10G) that I got with the 55g that I got a few weeks ago. now one of them is starting to lisp to one side. I do not know how old these fish are and this one is the biggest one out of the three.

I have also lost 3 neons out of this tank in the past two weeks, ( just bought them) I do not know what is going on. I did put meds in the tank, a gen spectrum meds maybe this made some of them sick?

water is at

ph 8
am 0
rate 0
rite 0

water temp is 76F.

Rocky06fx4
12-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Whenever something like this happens to me. I always look back and think about what changes I have made to my tank. It might have been a disease the fish had that you added to your tank when you added the fish?

Pr0eve
12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
that is why I put in the meds. umm guess I am learning the hard way. i have done a 25% water change a few days back to start lowering the meds in the tank.

umm /me wonders.

spudbuds
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Carbon in the filter will remove the meds if you are afraid they are causing the problem.

I think you could also bump the temp up a couple of degrees.

Pr0eve
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I did bump the temp up to 78, and did a 50% water change again, had anther neon die when I was at class. this one had some white fugues on his head. like what you see when food decays. it had to be one of the new fish I bought a week back or some thing. I got them at Zam Zoms.

so can this be?

ummm

Step One
See if the fish appears sluggish, hides, is not eating, has a swollen body (dropsy), red spots, red streaks or is bleeding on its body. These are all signs of an internal bacterial infection. One of the most common symptoms is dropsy, where the body bulges at the sides and stomach and the scales may even be forced to stick out. Bulging eyes, or "pop eye," is a common symptom of an internal bacterial infection.
Step Two
Watch to see if the fish sinks to the bottom of the tank or floats at the very top of the water, but is not dead. This could be a swim bladder disorder commonly caused by bacteria. Head-standing, laying flat, floating upside-down or sideways, or poorly coordinated swimming are also signs.
Step Three
Look for black patches on the fins and body along with body swelling. This is a bacterial infection called myxobacteriosis.
Step Four
Watch for small black specks on the fish's body. Black spot, or diplopstomiasis, often occurs after the addition of new fish to the tank.
Step Five
Suspect fin rot if the fins are whitish and ragged. Fungal and bacterial infections may also cause cottony white patches on the edges of the fins. Fungal fin rot often follows damage from an aggressive tankmate. Bacterial fin rot is similar, but not cottony. It's very contagious and can also be caused by poor water quality.
Step Six
Look for a white or gray material covering just the eyes. This is an eye fungus.

ummmmmm just maybe..

Pr0eve
12-13-2007, 11:34 PM
I put in some fungus meds, ;lets hope this clean this up..
and a 50% water change..

Pr0eve
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM
I am so pissed right now, I should not be posting. my 10gal as fungus, I have lost 4 neons and 2 algae eaters. I have treated it for fungus but still losing fish. this time I was able to see the fungus on the dead fish. man I feel so bad.

so when I set up a medy tank, what meds should it have in it? I do not want to go though this again..

mitcore
12-14-2007, 06:10 AM
do you have any cleaners in the tank?
cory dorys/bristle noses/snails?

Pr0eve
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
A Golden Chinese Algae Eater and a snail.

KcEE
12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Could it be ich?