PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

zackish
12-13-2007, 12:06 AM
How many african cichlids, like the demasonis, could I fit in a 29 gallon tank? Or none at all?

Fishguy2727
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
One male, three or so females.

OscarFan
12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Is it long or tall.

NickFish
12-13-2007, 01:36 AM
If it's long 1 male and 3 female is a good ratio.

Incredulous_Ed
12-13-2007, 01:39 AM
and of course, lots o lace rock

zackish
12-13-2007, 02:54 AM
It is just a regular 29. Tall I would say.
Anyways, I was planning on doing 3 or 4. I don't know much about cichlids yet so I was going to start reading. However, I may sell all my plants and fish over winter break and get baby africans. When the summer comes I may get a 65 gallon tank. My stand now would be perfect for it. Or how would a 40 gallon breeder be? Does the footprint rather than total volume matter more with cichlids? A 65 gal. is the same length and width as a 40 gallon breeder.
What else goes in an african cichlid tank? I know they like to tear up plants so I was just going to keep one big sword in there, some driftwood, and some plant pots or large rocks or something.

Fishguy2727
12-13-2007, 04:11 AM
They like lots of rock work, a pH of about 8.2, special lake salts (very low dose), I would only feed New Life Spectrum, lots of filtration, and and lots of flow. Go bigger if you can. If you can fit a 65, do it. Bigger is better.

OscarFan
12-13-2007, 04:13 AM
most like caves and holes to hide. mine like to stay near the bottom but some dont.Lots of caves

zackish
12-14-2007, 02:11 AM
I really think I am going to go with the 65. I can get an all glass 65 gallon with hood and light for $150.
I plan to have pots and some brick structure in there maybe.
However, can I get about 4 small cichlids now and then in 4 months when summer comes i will get the 65. I have a rena xp2 now and I am going to get a xp3 and run them both on the 65. How would that be for filtration? By then they should have grown a good amount and after that can I throw a few more in?
My last question for now is what kinds can I keep together?
Can you keep firemouths and demasoni?

OscarFan
12-14-2007, 02:16 AM
The 29 would work for a while and with the 65 6 mediums would work

zackish
12-14-2007, 03:09 AM
Medium Sized Cichlids?

OscarFan
12-14-2007, 03:10 AM
yeah5-7inches

Fishguy2727
12-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Ideally you keep fish together from a certain biotope. So if you get demasoni (a mbuna (boo-nuh)), you should stick with other mbunas.

In a 65 you could have about a dozen mbunas. For a second filter I woudl suggest looking into a Fluval. Or at least consider the XP4, bigger is better, and they will love the flow.

zackish
12-14-2007, 04:52 AM
That doesn't sound to bad....
Now what if I wanted peakocks and Firemouths?
And can I add them at different times or would you have to put all the fish you are going to have in at the same time?

Fishguy2727
12-14-2007, 05:04 AM
If you do peacocks, just stick with peacocks. They will do much better by themselves. You can add them at different times, but it is better to get them all in at about the same time though, such as within a couple months.

zackish
12-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Ya, I would be adding them within a few months of each other. Also, how many peackock could I do vs. mbunas?
Are the firemouths something I should keep alone with their own species too?

Fishguy2727
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
With peacocks I would do a few less since you don't need the numbers to reduce aggression. Eight or so should do well in a 65.

Firemouths can do well with many fish, just not with African rift lake cichlids.

zackish
12-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Peacocks are bigger though right?
Also, can I keep lake malawis with peacocks or no?

I guess if you guys answer this question I will decide for myself. or give me some recomendations.
Basically I like firemouths, peacocks, severums, and demasonis and auratus.
From what I have gathered so far, none of them can go together?
If not, then what other types of cichlids would go with firemouths or peacocks. Also, what ones are known to be the most active and have the best personality?
One more question, what are demasonis and auratus's considered as far as type of cichlid?

Fishguy2727
12-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Demasoni and auratus are both mbuna and could go togeter. Along with red zerba they would make a very good color combination.

Firemouths cannot go with any rift lake cichlids.

I think mbunas are too aggressive, it can end up causing problems before too long.

I am not a big fan of severums or firemouths.

I would definitely go with peacocks. They are active but not too agressive. They are colorful. They hit about 5-6", firemouths are also about 6".

zackish
12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
What else could I keep with the peacocks or what variation of them?
Also, how many of them in a 29 then moving to a 65?

Fishguy2727
12-15-2007, 02:08 PM
There are all sorts of peacocks, so color options is not an issue. It depends on how long they will be in the 29 as to how many you can start in there.

zackish
12-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I was planning on getting them as young as I can so they would be small.

zackish
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
One more question, can peacocks be kept with firemouths or severums. From my understanding severums and firemouths can be kept in the same tank?
I really want fish with a lot of personality. The ones that come to the glass when you come into the room and don't hide a lot.

Fishguy2727
12-16-2007, 11:46 PM
My peacocks crowd the front of the tank when I approach it.

No, you can't mix peacocks and any cichlids that are not from the rift lakes.

zackish
12-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Well what are rift lake cichlids? What types?

Dave66
12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Well what are rift lake cichlids? What types?

Zackish,
They are cichlids that developed in the hard and alkaline waters of the three lakes the cichlids in the hobby come from. They are located in the Great Rift Valley of Eastern Africa. They are Lakes Victoria, Tanganyika and Malawi. There are several other lakes in the valley, but to my knowledge, only those three are represented in the hobby. The lakes are also among the deepest in the world.
There are hundreds of species of cichlids in those lakes, from tiny shell dwellers to three-foot long preditors. Depends on the tank size on what you can keep.

Dave

Coler
01-14-2008, 02:32 AM
29 is pretty much too small for malawis.

Noting some advice given above, do not put demasoni in there. even though they are the smallest mbuna, they need to be kept in a ration of 1 or 2 males to 10 or 12 females, unlike other pseudotropheus species, which can be kept at 1 male to 3 or 4 females. doing this with demasoni even in a big tank will leave you ultimately with 1 male demasoni.

its a little cramped for peacocks too in my opinion. female peacocks are very drab and unattractive, but male peacocks in that size tank will a) outgrow it and b) shred each other. and it isnt' big enough for say 1 male and 3 or 4 females, which in any event would leave you with 1 colourful fish and the rest just plain ugly.

Fishguy2727
01-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I have not found that to be true. I had demasoni in my last mbuna setup and have a couple in my current setup. I never had any problems with them. They were ones that were falling behind, not dominating. Every fish is different, but I have not found that trend to be that true.

Dixie
01-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm not an expert by a long shot. Never even had any Demasoni but from what I've read about them, I think alot of it has to do with what size they are when you get them (young being best) and it's better to add them last.