PDA

View Full Version : Dark/light plant coloration

Fishguy2727
12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
The anacharis that is growing very well in my 40breeder is very light compared to the anacharis I just bought. I would guess it has to do with lighting, in that with brighter lighting the plant doesn't need as many chloroplasts, making them lighter in color. Am I correct? Or is there something else that can have drastic effects on this as well?

Dave66
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Nutrient levels can and does affect color as well. Commercial liquid fertilizers for planted aquariums can intensify leaf color. Usually they contain chelated iron, perhaps with potassium, and electrolytes.
And you can't have enough light with anacharis. Very, very bright light is the only way to keep it compact.

Dave

Fishguy2727
12-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Mine is growing long and sprouting more strands. The main strand is about 3' long, and there are about 6 or so strands growing off the main one, the longest is about 6-8" now. I have not added any fertilizers at all. I am not worried about getting the darkest plants or anything, I am just curious about why they were different.

Should I add any fertilizers? If so what would be the best popular one? My work only carries the Tetra one, I may have a partially used bottle at home. Other than that we can get in Seachem and I think Kent, which if I remember right has some.

Incredulous_Ed
12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Most anacharis is grown in outdoor ponds where they get way more light than in the aquarium, so tat may explain the coloration.

Ninja post!

Anyway, I like Seachem's fluorish. All the other plant ferts I used caused more algae to grow than plants. Plus, It's the best value.

Dave66
12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Mine is growing long and sprouting more strands. The main strand is about 3' long, and there are about 6 or so strands growing off the main one, the longest is about 6-8" now. I have not added any fertilizers at all. I am not worried about getting the darkest plants or anything, I am just curious about why they were different.

Should I add any fertilizers? If so what would be the best popular one? My work only carries the Tetra one, I may have a partially used bottle at home. Other than that we can get in Seachem and I think Kent, which if I remember right has some.

It might interest you to know that the longest single strand of Anacharis was measured at 33 feet and six or eight inches. I believe the measurement was made in the mid-1930's if memory serves.
As does Ed, I use Florish at half-doses in my planted tanks.
Brighter light and good nutrient levels will darken the leaves of your Anacharis.

Dave