PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!!

SouthernGal0682
12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok...This is what I woke up to...
Eggs, obviously, but from who??? I have 3 blue snails, but I thought snails laid their eggs above the water line. I also have 2 bolivian rams and 2 german rams, but I thought they laid their eggs on a flat surface...hmmmm...

verbosity
12-12-2007, 06:42 PM
How exciting!!

I don't get the picture though. Are the eggs on the gravel? or the Glass?

SouthernGal0682
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
How exciting!!

I don't get the picture though. Are the eggs on the gravel? or the Glass?

They are on the gravel and they are all balled up (like all stuck together) not spread over the gravel.

Incredulous_Ed
12-12-2007, 08:35 PM
It looks like snail eggs. Ram eggs are not bunched up like that. Some snails do lat eggs below the water surface. Are the eggs in a pit?

Also, Rams sometimes will dig pits to lay eggs in.

nanaglen2001
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
This batch of eggs looks exactly like eggs from Pomacea bridgesi. I think you call them mystery snails.

It seems like it fell into the water. If this happened, you better get it out and throw it away, cause put of this batch nothing will come, cause the water killed off the "embryos".

msjinkzd
12-12-2007, 09:25 PM
It seems like it fell into the water. If this happened, you better get it out and throw it away, cause put of this batch nothing will come, cause the water killed off the "embryos".

I agree. There are species of brigs that lay under the water line, but the eggs are usually encased in more of a gelatinous coating. I too think that these were laid and fell in. No fear, they can lay clutches every couple of days and store sperm for months. If you decide to hatch any clutches, be prepared for 50-200 baby snails from each clutch. Many people either freeze the clutches, smash them, or break a small piece off for hatching. Hope this helps.

SouthernGal0682
12-13-2007, 02:53 AM
I feel guilty "stealing" their eggs, but I dont want hundreds of little blue mystery snails running around either! its funny I would get eggs because just a few days ago I told my husband I would like a FEW more.

Oh, and it does look like it might have fallen from above the water line because one side of the clutch is flat.

So since it has fallen, does that mean the eggs will not hatch and should I just pull them out?

squirt_12
12-13-2007, 03:22 AM
So since it has fallen, does that mean the eggs will not hatch and should I just pull them out?
yes the eggs wont hatch. So just pull it out of the water and dispose of them however you like. eiter bury them, garbage them. whatever you feel like. as stated before....they will lay eggs often now so beaware. Whenever you go and look at the tank just take a look at the top of the tank to see if there are any eggs sticking to the top of the lid or something.

OscarFan
12-13-2007, 03:56 AM
I would put them in a seperate tank for a while just to make sure their not fish eggs.