PDA

View Full Version : Are these baby snails?

Karalot875
12-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Quite awhile ago, I found a snail in my aquarium. Since then, the snail has grown quite big, and last night I found what I think are eggs on the side of my tank. Down at the gravel level, there is a small trail of 'slime' with little white things lined up neatly in it. Also, there are a few white egg looking things above the water on my tank.
Down by the slime ones, we could see these very very tiny little white things swimming around, they kind of looked like tadpoles and swam very fast. I could barely see them unless I looked very very close. I tried to get a picture, but can't get them to show up in the pics. Does anyone know if these are indeed tiny snails? I was told to get a clown loach to get rid of them before they become a problem, but I don't want him to eat my original snail either lol

msjinkzd
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
the eggs at the gravel line definately sounds like pond snail or ramshorn eggs. the white things above the water sound like baby pond snails. The tadpole things I am not so sure, snails don't really swim and they aren't usually very fast. Sounds more like copepods. I would advise upping your gravel vacs and reducing your feeding a little bit. If you want to get rid or manage your snails the best way is to reduce the amount of excess food in the tank as they can only continue to reproduce and grow with an ample food source. Hope this helps.

Karalot875
12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Thank you! I thought there was something odd about them swimming fast but that makes a lot of sense. We were kind of over feeding the fish, because my rummy nose tetra's were bullying the betta, and the poor thing would never get any food. Last night we moved the tetras to my bigger tank, so that will result in much less food going to waste. I also have a gravel vac, so I'll get doing that some more as well.