PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Smare
10-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Hello! I am new to the forums and new to the fish keeping hobby. As an avid animal lover, I have always been interested, but the cost of setting up dissuaded me. I am disabled and limited to my disability budget, so it never seemed right to dump money into pets when I had to eat first. Ha.

At the beginning of the year, I adopted a Beta fish and his Nerite snail buddy from a friend who had to downsize her space. Since he was already set up with a tank, filter, and all his food I had no problem taking it on, as I can afford to buy fish food and small things now and then.

I've learned a lot from this little guy, including how the nitrogen cycle works.

I'll admit I went into it having read one book and thought I was prepared, but I had not even learned the basics of cycling a tank. This little guy put up with me fulling changing his tank twice before I learned my lesson. He looked a little burnt after the second time so I did more research and discovered, like John Snow, I knew nothing!

I've since been down a rabbit hole of research and have now successfully cycled two tanks, and am on my third. Last month I reconnected with my father (long story) and he had two tanks, one empty and one full of fish, that he had bought for my brother. The empty tank once had fish but they all died, the second were dying because they were not being cared for. My father was doing his best to keep alive fish he bought for someone else. Needless to say, I have committed to taking on these fish.

I took the empty tank home, cleaned, and prepped it. It is now cycled and ready for the adopted fish, completed with live plants! However, I am aware this tank is overstuffed, and intend to do some fish moving.

Once I have the newly adopted fish in their new home I will be cleaning and cycling their old tank for the Beta. Once he is happy, and I am certain he has space, I will try to remove the penguin tetra from the second batch of fish and moving him to the Beta tank. Don't worry! I have a plan. I will be using bag acclimatization, and, if while in the bag, the Beta cannot handle the tetra, he will return to his first tank and I'll look at a plan B.

When all is said and done I should have three tanks with the following set up:
Tank 1 - 20G with 2 Black Ghost Angelfish, 2 Dwarf loaches, 1 Rosy Tetra(I plan to buy him friends when I can), Mystery Snail
Tank 2 - 20G with 1 male Beta, 1 Penguin tetra (also plan to buy friends when I can), 1 Nerite snail
Tank 3 - 2G with Shrimpies and snails

All live planted with clay, gravel, sand substrate.

Thankfully, as a gardener, plants are not new territory for me and this just brings my old hobby into my new one with a whole new passion.

It's nice to meet you all and I can't wait to share more of my fish journey with fellow fish lovers!

William
10-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Hello , welcome aboard. I hope you will enjoy the forum.

mac
10-13-2019, 06:56 AM
Welcome to AC.

gadget228
10-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Slaphppy7
10-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, tetras are social fish, and do best in groups of their own kind.

RiversGirl
10-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the AC!

mermaidwannabe
10-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the forum! Please feel free to ask us anything you need to about the hobby. There are some very knowledgeable people here who are happy to help. I'm glad to see you've done extensive research and have already learned the basics. -- mermaidwannabe

WilliamD
10-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Hello! I'm also newbie here thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
10-26-2019, 09:12 PM
It would be best to start your own thread in the intro section, to avoid confusion.