PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Angelfish Tank

lampro
07-18-2019, 09:04 PM
the tank is 24”x24”x24” rimless 30 gallon cube tank. Tank mates: 1 adult pair of silver angelfish, school of cardinals, nerite snails.
Tank set up: red slate rock sinking the Malaysian driftwood
The substrate on the top is sand and the bottom is fertilizer

I really like the blue reflections on the tank and how it has some shades and dark gloomy spots for the fish to hide. Plus the driftwood is just enough not to turn the water yellow. Keeping the tank nice and clear. Do you think the angelfish offsprings can survive with the parents along with the tetras?

Im using the 20” JC&P LED light for $26 from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHTG93/ref=twister_B07M8H539M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

lampro
07-18-2019, 09:09 PM
https://s956.photobucket.com/user/lamprologines/media/IMG_4745_zpsp6xbkase.jpg.html

angelfish tank picture in the link. sorry the picture cant upload for some reason

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2019, 09:36 PM
I don't believe you will have a good survival rate, if any. Angel fry are incredibly small at first and will easily fit into a tetra's mouth.

I love the driftwood. I've always gotten a decent amount of tannins staining my water with malaysian. Interesting that you didn't get any.

Those clumps (dwarf chain swords?) of plants will spread out and look better if you break them up and replant more evenly across the tank. If you leave them in those clumps they will send out just a runner or two and will look odd as time passes. Just a suggestion.

lampro
07-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Yea i dont want to remove the whole piece of wood out of the tank too. If luck is on my side, i will try to remove the tetras and angels. it may take me a long time to catch them all tho.
If you boil the wood and let the wood sink in a bucket first. the wood actually wont affect the water color that much. I would never put a big piece of wood before processing the wood first haha I would just have a yellow water habitat that's impossible to see.

It is way too hard to plant those hairgrass plants into a smaller clump. they keep floating up every minute.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2019, 03:39 AM
It is way too hard to plant those hairgrass plants into a smaller clump. they keep floating up every minute.

Haha you’re talking to a guy who will sit for an hour and a half planting a hundred individual marsilea minuta nodes into a scape. It’s a pain but the end result is 20x better than leaving them in huge clumps like that. It just depends on how much effort you want to put into the project.

Tannins. People either love em or hate em :) I like them for the most part. We have some members here who keep really beautiful blackwater ‘topes but I know not everyone digs the looks of a tinted tank.

If you have trouble rounding up your tetras, take a 2liter soda bottle, cut the top third off and invert it into the other part. Toss some food inside and submerge it in the tank. The fish eventually find their way into the bottle but have a difficult time finding their way out. May take a few tries to catch them all depending on how many stragglers you have, but it beats having to strip down a tank to get them.

mermaidwannabe
07-20-2019, 05:21 PM
What a clever idea! It should work for catching White Clouds, as well. Those little buggers are FAST!

angelcraze2
07-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Ime, if the pair sees fit to try to raise the babies, they might try and even succeed for a little while, swooping at the other fish, keeping them away. Most always though, the other fish are waiting on the other end for the free swimming fry to venture off and become a quick snack. All the hormones in the water, they can't help themselves, it's just something they know instinctively.

If I want to grow out the babies of a pair in a community tank, I'll remove some wigglers by sucking them up with a turkey baster and transferring them to their own nursery tank. That way I get some babies (not too many though) and sometimes the parents don't even realize I got any. They seem distracted guarding the others at any rate and don't hold anything against me.

The best way to hatch the eggs IMO is to let the parents do it. They will take turns fanning the eggs to keep them aerated and remove any fungus that sets in. If they have to, they will move a full clutch to another location, maybe if too much fungus sets in or they feel the new location is a safer spot. They have many ways to deal with the challenges of haching eggs and protecting them.

Congrats on your breeding pair :) You have a nice looking tank for them. Your silver angels look like blue silvers, is that the blue reflections you mean?