PDA

View Full Version : Altum Angels

discusluv
01-23-2019, 07:46 PM
I made a video of the Altums a few days ago to mark three weeks that I have had them. They are doing excellent-- have started to regrow tattered fins from transportation stress and missing scales have repaired themselves. These guys love the Stendkers, follow them around the tank and wait to pick up food that the discus strew about when feeding. It is really hilarious. I am enamored by their curious/brave little nature :)

They will stay in this tank until they put a couple more inches on them and then will be moved ionto the 180 gallon to have more room.

https://vimeo.com/312655236

Slaphppy7
01-23-2019, 07:48 PM
They look great in that tank, even though it is temporary

fissh
01-23-2019, 08:36 PM
One of my favorite fish!

Nautilus291
01-23-2019, 09:15 PM
I'm glad that you were able to get them! I agree with slap, they go well in that tank!

discusluv
01-23-2019, 11:51 PM
I wish i could keep them in this tank, but it is a 60 gallon cube tank, dont know how happy they would be long-term.

SueD
01-23-2019, 11:52 PM
I'm such a fan of angels although I don't have any currently. These look so cute next to the beautiful discus, which I also love. I'm not in a position to keep these species so I'll just enjoy watching yours.

discusluv
01-24-2019, 01:15 AM
I'm such a fan of angels although I don't have any currently. These look so cute next to the beautiful discus, which I also love. I'm not in a position to keep these species so I'll just enjoy watching yours.

I was not at all prepared to become such taken by them. I have never had angels before.
It is the behaviors- they are one of the most interactive fish I have had. Its funny because its like they watch me to see what I am doing... I tell them to quit being so "nosy". My little "nosey-ettas" I call them.
I think there is a real synchronicity between Angels and Discus. Ever since I have added the Angels to the Stendkers tank they have been more calm. They are very prone to sudden dashes across the tank when they see shadows anywhere near the tank. More so then my Alenquers.
Another interesting behavior is the way the Angels trail the discus at feeding time, waiting for the discus to grab the food and spread it about or take some food in and spit part of it out. Discus have very small mouths so they often grab more than they need and the excess gets shaken off or spit out. This interested me so much that I looked on the internet and found several articles discussing this activity. It appears that Angels do this in the wild as well; actually, they also eat what the discus regurgitate as well. Chewing, having to much in the mouth, and spitting out.
At night, when the lights go out, they huddle very close, just under the discus pair. Fascinating! they realize that they are small, the discus are large but harmless to them; so, they are a good cover for any threat of nighttime predators. Because, of course, even in an aquarium this innate survival mechanism still is in the :on position."

Another behavior--- constant picking all day long: on glass, substrate, the prefilter, at my excess of assassin snails ( the do no harm to them that I can see). Are they eating little micro-organisms, copepods? (shrug).

angelcraze2
01-24-2019, 04:03 AM
That is so very interesting discusluv. I have never kept discus but love angelfish. Your observations about keeping the two together are very intriguing, thanks for that. My angels have always been the biggest fish in the tank. Speaking of which, I can't believe the size of those Stendkers! And so perfect! They are impressive I have to say.

The sleeping arrangement is fascinating, I have to check out how my fish sleep now haha. I have noticed a synchronicity between angelfish and rams, I do like to watch how different species of fish from the same areas interact in the aquarium. Thanks for sharing :)

SueD
01-24-2019, 05:58 PM
I certainly agree with the interactive behavior of the angels. When I had my single guy, his tank was directly across from the stairs to my 2nd floor. When I came down in the morning, he was at the glass shaking and wiggling to greet me.

angelcraze2
01-24-2019, 07:14 PM
A tank full of young angels is hilarious. They don't seem to grow out of it much, but young angels are always that much more crazy.

bpete
01-25-2019, 01:38 PM
very nice looking Angels. they are some nice sized specimens.

Boundava
01-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Agree, they are real beauties, glad that they are doing so well. I also love angels and discus but would never try to keep them so seeing yours is a real treat.

luke77
01-28-2019, 11:51 PM
You will also notice they will always be together. They school everywhere together in my tank.

discusluv
02-15-2019, 03:43 AM
Another update on the juveniles.

They are certainly growing- more bulking up than anything else. Look at their tummies, geezo- they never are shy about eating anything.
Blood-worms are their favorites. But, I tell them "You cant eat blood-worms until you eat your NLS flake-food, lol!"

https://i.imgur.com/yOrhHq6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kq49Dgc.jpg

discusluv
03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
These guys, the Altums, are getting testy and combative- will be putting in 180 gallon soon.

https://vimeo.com/324752406

steeler58
03-17-2019, 12:58 AM
They do look great though thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
03-17-2019, 03:02 PM
I agree, they look wonderful, but they need to play well together

discusluv
06-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Its been about 2.5 months since I put up a video of the Altums. Actually, what I was really wanting to show you was a particular Altum ( the alpha in tank) who is starting to show some red spotting near the shoulder. They are all growing well, eating heartily, and I have not had to medicate for anything. Which is a relief.

I checked my TDS in this tank out of curiosity because I hadn't checked in awhile. It was at 85! Which is the lowest it has been since I started checking periodically. It had ranged between 115-120. Maybe need to re-calibrate? Ill need to see if I have some distilled water tucked in somewhere. These Altums will be moved soon to the 180 gallon. Plan on getting some wild discus juveniles from a local guy here that has some nice ones. Just need to decide which ones. Most likely this Urubu. You need to scroll all the way down and hit "load more" to view the wilds.

https://www.aquaemart.com/shop

Anyways, here is a rough video of the Altum showing the red spotting.

https://vimeo.com/339766297

angelcraze2
06-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Beautiful! So majestic!

I like the wild Urubu, nice choice! Very natural looking :) The wilds are much pricier huh? Guess it's always like that.

Are you using RO? What does your source water test at? My TDS is around the 110 mark. It rises after adding Prime. Do you use Prime? I'm just curious. Or maybe less tannins?

Boundava
06-06-2019, 08:53 PM
What a serene tank, your fish are beauties! The Urubu will be a gorgeous addition, love the striations and contrasting patterning on it.

discusluv
06-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Beautiful! So majestic!

I like the wild Urubu, nice choice! Very natural looking :) The wilds are much pricier huh? Guess it's always like that.

Are you using RO? What does your source water test at? My TDS is around the 110 mark. It rises after adding Prime. Do you use Prime? I'm just curious. Or maybe less tannins?

The wilds are not always pricier. Actually, they can be cheaper then domestics in some cases. The wild juveniles tend to be more expensive then domestics, however. This basically because of the difficulty in sourcing.

I dont use RO water; but, my water out of the tap is pretty well suited to both the discus and Altums. If I want to breed either, however, will need to lower the Ph. I think that this is why my discus spawns end up not being viable despite being fertilized- need to get that number around 6.5.

TDS is 85-115 depending on time of year.
Ph- 7.4
KH 3
GH 5

I do use Prime. I didnt realize it raised TDS.

discusluv
06-06-2019, 09:27 PM
What a serene tank, your fish are beauties! The Urubu will be a gorgeous addition, love the striations and contrasting patterning on it.

Thank you :ssmile:.

I really do love my fish. As I am sure you do as well with the efforts you are putting into your fish-room.

angelcraze2
06-07-2019, 05:34 PM
The wilds are not always pricier. Actually, they can be cheaper then domestics in some cases. The wild juveniles tend to be more expensive then domestics, however. This basically because of the difficulty in sourcing.

I dont use RO water; but, my water out of the tap is pretty well suited to both the discus and Altums. If I want to breed either, however, will need to lower the Ph. I think that this is why my discus spawns end up not being viable despite being fertilized- need to get that number around 6.5.

TDS is 85-115 depending on time of year.
Ph- 7.4
KH 3
GH 5

I do use Prime. I didnt realize it raised TDS.

Omg our tap water is so similar! Mine is
pH 7.4
KH 2
GH 2
TDS 40-80

Interesting about the pH and viable eggs. It's it because they fungus over? Tannins will add to TDS as well. The softer the water, the more you'll notice the increase.

I've considered using another method to remove chloramine for my fry tanks. My manicipality says they use chlorine, not chloramine, so technically I don't need Prime right? Just off gas for 24 hours?

Also they use phosphates to raise pH. Which is not ideal either. Idk. It was just a thought.

discusluv
06-07-2019, 09:38 PM
The eggs calcify. This calcification makes the egg not viable and the discus eat them.