PDA

View Full Version : help!! My Bristlenose is stuck!!

kes
12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey guys

Noticed my Bristlenose Plec had been missing this week and presumed he'd died and just been eaten but, just on a whim, I turned my tank round and lo and behold he's got himself stuck in the compartment where the heater is!! This is totally siliconed to the inside of the back of the tank and I just can't imagine how to get him out! Any suggestions?

I had a problem in the filter compartment with my frog but I managed to 'scoop' him out. Not so sure I'll be able to do this with Mr Bristle, I'm a little worried about his spines!

Dave66
12-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Bristlenose like to hide during the day, and do most of their work earlier in the morning and just before lights out. He'll slide out himself. Cured silcone under water isn't sticky. I seriously doubt he's jammed. If bristlenose got easily got jammed between the rocks and driftwood in their natural environment there wouldn't be any bristelnose.
I'd be more concerned about the heater's warmth on his body. Still wondering why the silicone. I've never heard of anyone siliconing a heater to the tank wall. Makes it difficult for you to remove the heater to see how he is, or to inspect the heater.
A sharp double-edged razer blade can slice through that silicone. I strongly suggest removing it and use suction cups instead.

Dave

kes
12-10-2007, 07:38 PM
tbh I don't know for definite if it's siliconed, I just know it's permanently fixed inside the tank. You access the heater through the top, it's just fits through a little circle cut in the top. Very inconvenient!

verbosity
12-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Show is a picture, this doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of.

gm72
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Picture, please, yes. Never heard of anything like this unless it is some kind of overflow?