View Full Version : Look at these Beauties

discusluv
12-08-2018, 02:50 AM
The Wetspot has some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxqKzWfFfE

Slaphppy7
12-08-2018, 03:29 AM
So, how many are you getting? :ssmile:

That's neat to see them in the wild...I'm not a big angel fan (sorry angelcraze and others), and this may be the first vid I've seen them in their natural habitat, but it was very cool, thanks for sharing

RiversGirl
12-08-2018, 04:56 AM
Wow, that is neat to see them in the wild. Check out that tannin stained water.

angelcraze2
12-08-2018, 06:18 PM
So, how many are you getting? :ssmile:

That's neat to see them in the wild...I'm not a big angel fan (sorry angelcraze and others), and this may be the first vid I've seen them in their natural habitat, but it was very cool, thanks for sharing

Oh no worries Matt, to each their own, I just don't get it though!

They are so incredible. Are you getting some? :jumpeveryone:

Nautilus291
12-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Very neat! I think I saw a festivum or two in there too! You can see why they are build the way they are, they disappear in the sticks and debree.

discusluv
12-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Possibly, now that I am not getting the discus.

Nautilus291
12-08-2018, 06:34 PM

A group of these would look really cool! Last I heard (it's been years since I've looked it up). They hadn't been bred in captivity. I'll have to see if that has changed.

Nautilus291
12-08-2018, 06:37 PM
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pterophyllum-altum/

Looks like they have been bred, but it's pretty rare. May be a fun project!

discusluv
12-08-2018, 06:50 PM
The Wetspot only has 3. I would put them in the discus tank.
The only concern is that I dont want to mess with my water.
My TDS is around 115- so it is already pretty good.
My KH is 3; DH 5. - this being low as well.
Hopefully, with the addition of tannins, this would be adequate. If not are prone to bacterial infections.

The first couple weeks I would put them in my 30 gallon until they start eating. That is half the battle.
I have heard, when young, that it is good to treat them like juvenile discus. Frequent water changes, high protein foods, high temperature ( how high I will need to look up).

Nautilus291
12-08-2018, 07:10 PM
The Wetspot only has 3. I would put them in the discus tank.
The only concern is that I dont want to mess with my water.
My TDS is around 115- so it is already pretty good.
My KH is 3; DH 5. - this being low as well.
Hopefully, with the addition of tannins, this would be adequate. If not are prone to bacterial infections.

The first couple weeks I would put them in my 30 gallon until they start eating. That is half the battle.
I have heard, when young, that it is good to treat them like juvenile discus. Frequent water changes, high protein foods, high temperature ( how high I will need to look up).

I was pretty surprised reading thr seriously fish profile. Idk what their ideal temperature is, but they state 82 to 90*! What did you keep your discuss at?

discusluv
12-08-2018, 07:20 PM
My discus are at 84-85 degrees right now.

RiversGirl
12-09-2018, 01:29 AM

Wait. What?

I'm behind in my reading in here, clearly. Will do a search.

bpete
12-10-2018, 02:00 PM
very cool video. very nice to see the natural habitat.

discusluv
12-10-2018, 07:08 PM
I called a few times on the Altum Angels- finally on 3rd try answered. Wetspot very busy today.
Couple people ahead of me inquired about the Altums already. Maybe still can get them? I dont know. Been on a losing streak lately.

angelcraze2
12-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Awwwww :( I really hope it works out for you. You deserve it!

discusluv
12-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks- I was too slow on the trigger. Others called before me :(
Maybe they will get more with the interest in them...

Nautilus291
12-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Darn, that's some bad luck! Hopefully you'll find some soon.

Rocksor
12-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Wesley Wong has grown captive bred ones in harder water than the ones found from the wild. They're pellet and flake trained. The prices are higher, but I would imagine next day shipping within California is cheaper than from Wet Spot. Reliable vendor from MFK. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/christmas-sale-2018-rare-fish-stock-list.711452/#post-8025805

discusluv
12-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Perfect- thank you Rocksor. I will go that route.

discusluv
12-14-2018, 01:03 AM
Wetspot called me back and said they had some for me. I have four coming on Tuesday :)

Nautilus291
12-14-2018, 03:17 AM
Can't wait to see some pictures!

steeler58
12-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Wetspot called me back and said they had some for me. I have four coming on Tuesday :)

Good on you 57023

angelcraze2
12-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Congrats!!!! I'm so happy you found some! So excited for you!!!!

RiversGirl
12-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Awesome development! I'm delighted for you!

discusluv
12-15-2018, 06:40 PM
:rock::tux:

discusluv
12-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Nervous about the acclimation of the Altums.
I never have done drip acclimation with any of my wild fish and I dont see myself starting now.
I typically like to get the fish in to the tank as soon as possible to alleviate stress and ammonia toxicity issues.
But, I am thinking of doing this:
15 minutes temp acclimation, open bag, add a few drops of Prime, and slowly add water from tank for 15 minutes.
What do you think?

RiversGirl
12-16-2018, 04:59 PM
I'm not commenting to give any advice, but more to ask you a question to (hopefully) help you sort through your own mind.

Why are you considering changing up a tried-and-true method that you personally use?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'd bet the first time you used this acclimation procedure, you thought it through long and hard. You have found only success with this method, correct?

There were solid reasons why you've done things the way you've done them, in all aspects of fishkeeping. Not just whims, but solid reasons.

To add to your decision-making list: What method does the seller recommend?

I have full confidence in your abilities.

discusluv
12-16-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm not commenting to give any advice, but more to ask you a question to (hopefully) help you sort through your own mind.

Why are you considering changing up a tried-and-true method that you personally use?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'd bet the first time you used this acclimation procedure, you thought it through long and hard. You have found only success with this method, correct?

There were solid reasons why you've done things the way you've done them, in all aspects of fishkeeping. Not just whims, but solid reasons.

To add to your decision-making list: What method does the seller recommend?

I have full confidence in your abilities.

Of course, as always, you are able to give me some perspective. Thanks, my friend.

The seller said to drip acclimate, but I dont see how that is going to be beneficial when my pH is higher then their own. Isn't the purpose of drip acclimation to help the fish adjust from a higher to lower pH? What benefit does drip acclimation have in this case?

Slaphppy7
12-16-2018, 06:21 PM
I believe drip acclimation helps adjust both up AND down, with ph

That being said, me personally, I float the bag, then net the fish and place in the tank..."plop and drop"...so far, I've been lucky doing it this way

Nautilus291
12-17-2018, 12:49 AM
After reading about how ammonia instantly becomes toxic when you let oxygen back into the bag I think I'd prefer to get the fish out as soon as you open it. Even though you are somewhat close to Portland that fish will still be in the bag awhile. I would stick with your tried and true method.

discusluv
12-17-2018, 11:29 PM
After reading about how ammonia instantly becomes toxic when you let oxygen back into the bag I think I'd prefer to get the fish out as soon as you open it. Even though you are somewhat close to Portland that fish will still be in the bag awhile. I would stick with your tried and true method.

I agree Nautilus291 . I am going to temp acclimate them for 15 minutes and then they are going in!

Taurus
12-18-2018, 12:43 AM
I agree @Nautilus291 (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/member.php?u=56636) . I am going to temp acclimate them for 15 minutes and then they are going in!

Does the Wetspot ship with Prime in the bag? It's just a thought but I would hope they would.

Nautilus291
12-18-2018, 12:51 AM
Does the Wetspot ship with Prime in the bag? It's just a thought but I would hope they would.

I'm not sure about that, but they at least put a little square of the ammonia buffering filter pad in the bag.

Taurus
12-18-2018, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure about that, but they at least put a little square of the ammonia buffering filter pad in the bag.

Yeah, I deal with a LFS 60 miles from my home once in a while that does that as well. But I always ask to put a few drops of Prime in there as well, it can't hurt.

Slaphppy7
12-18-2018, 02:44 AM

My practice with fish from TWS (I've had many) includes a drop or two of Prime as soon as the inner bag is opened, and exposed to air

The fish are shipped double-bagged, I usually remove the outer bag, discard the outer bag, rinse the inner bag in mild temp tap water and pat dry with a towel, then float for 10-15 minutes

The inner bag then gets lifted out of the tank, opened (carefully), treated with a drop or two of Prime, bag contents poured through a large net (over a bucket), then lower the net w/fish into the tank, allowing them to swim out of the net, at will

With small fish, or ones that get stuck for one reason or another, I'll close the tank lid on the end handle of the net, and leave it submerged until all have swam out of it

Of course, by that time, the original fish/shrimp/snails have congregated on or around the net, so they have to be shaken off the net before removing from the tank

angelcraze2
12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
I don't order fish, but when I bring them home, I get the fish into a bucket of water with methelyne blue 1ml per gallon. I match temp and TDS exactly and plop and drop into the bucket of mblue. I feel the same way with opening the shipping bag (I've ordered fish once. I want those fish out of the bag asap after first opening. I feel nervous about adding any fish straight into the QT tank from the shipping bag. I have always even 'rinsed' my inverts once or twice before adding to QT. If the tank TDS is different than the bucket and bag TDS, I'll acclimate from there, but usually I keep the QT tank at the same TDS as the LFS because it's where I keep it anyway.

I also have never brought home wild caught fish. So discusluv, I agree with using your tried and true method of acclimation.

discusluv
12-18-2018, 07:39 PM
The truck is running an hour late... grr...

Slaphppy7
12-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Yeah, they may be a "little" bit busy this time of year, lol

angelcraze2
12-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Postal has been forced back to work after a strike. Everything is so backlogged and they are still pretty much work to rule. It's a crap show over here! Hope they get there nice and safe soon!

discusluv
12-18-2018, 09:34 PM
They are good! I put shipping bags in water to temp acclimate. Immediately opened the bags and put in 2 drops of Prime.
They all look active and alert.
I think I will spread it out over about an hour, adding a bit of water from tank at a time.
I typically wouldnt do it this way, but I will keep a good eye on them for signs of stress.
Fortunately, Wetspot being the company that they are- there was plenty of heat packs in there to keep the water warm as well.

discusluv
12-18-2018, 09:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mvuJJrc.jpg

Nautilus291
12-18-2018, 09:57 PM
They already look good and they are still in their bags.

angelcraze2
12-19-2018, 06:33 PM
It's true :hmm3grin2orange:

Rocksor
12-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I deal with a LFS 60 miles from my home once in a while that does that as well. But I always ask to put a few drops of Prime in there as well, it can't hurt.

I wouldn't. Prime is a reducing agent and will reduce oxygen levels of water if there's isn't any chlorine or chloramine.

It's better to put 1 drop of methylene blue per gallon of water.

discusluv
12-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Here they are this morning. They ate flake quite readily this morning off of the top of the water and are exploring the tank- and picking at each other. They are very curiuos about their surroundings.

Sorry about the low quality video, but I am still keeping the light low.

https://vimeo.com/307340640

angelcraze2
12-19-2018, 07:55 PM
:19: Looking amazing! So exciting!

discusluv
12-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Arent they adorable :)

Slaphppy7
12-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Very nice, congrats again

Taurus
12-19-2018, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't. Prime is a reducing agent and will reduce oxygen levels of water if there's isn't any chlorine or chloramine.

It's better to put 1 drop of methylene blue per gallon of water.

So noted.....thanks for mentioning it.

steeler58
12-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Congratulations on the new fish thumbs2:

RiversGirl
12-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Congratulations!

discusluv
12-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Why in all the 30 years I have had fish have I never had Angelfish!? I am entirely smitten with these little cuties.
I was just never impressed with the ones at the LFS. But, despite this, if I would have known of their curious personalities I would have gotten some.

They are cichlid -like, for sure, but they are also entertaining to watch as they are always looking for something to pick at ( leaves of plants, walls of the aquarium, snails, each other). They also appear to always be hungry. Now I know why these fish often end up with swim-bladder issues due to over-feeding. It would be very easy to just give them food when they come a-begging. They already know me and come to the front of the tank when they see me anticipating food. I tell them "No, such luck- not time to eat!" ~ I am feeding them very lightly 3 times a day because if they are anything like discus, as juveniles they need frequent small feedings for maximum growth. Feeding staple of NLS Flake and rotating freeze-dried blackworms with spirulina, frozen brineshrimp, and a mixture of NLS pellets: Cichlid, Algaemax, and Thera -A ( this is the mix I feed my geophagus).

They have finally settled down with the fighting and chasing. All now know whose boss and who is not and have marked out some territories to go when the boss gets grumpy.

Slaphppy7
12-23-2018, 11:15 PM
I've never been a huge fan of angelfish*, but this sounds like a treat.

Congrats again, glad to hear they are doing so well, so soon.

*Apologies to Angelcraze and all other angel keepers

discusluv
12-23-2018, 11:20 PM
I've never been a huge fan of angelfish*, but this sounds like a treat.

Congrats again, glad to hear they are doing so well, so soon.

*Apologies to Angelcraze and all other angel keepers

I think Its one of those fish you have to raise to appreciate.
You were smart to include your apologies- always thinking of others. Its why you are a fabulous moderator, my friend.

Taurus
12-23-2018, 11:21 PM
I've never been a huge fan of angelfish*,

That's because you've never kept one before so they haven't had a chance to wrap their fins around your heart.

Taurus
12-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Its why you are a fabulous moderator, my friend.

Never ANY question about that!

Slaphppy7
12-23-2018, 11:30 PM
Thanks you two...I don't know, angels are cichlids, and cichlids can be aggressive...and angels need huge tanks...and cichlids can be aggressive...did I mention that already?

I like my fish to stay "mellow", like me, and the one in my avatar :hmm3grin2orange:

Boundava
12-24-2018, 05:08 AM
Well I missed this post and have to say congrats to you on some gorgeous new additions. I have entertained the idea of angels, but like Matt am hesitant on their attitude. They are beauties though and I am glad yours have settled in.

discusluv
12-24-2018, 05:21 AM
Thank you- I am very happy with them.

angelcraze2
12-24-2018, 06:02 AM
If i'm allowed to give my point of view, the 'angel-tude' is one of the things I like about them. I actually don't really notice the aggression, although, I've almost always had cichilds and think of it as more personalilty. Sometimes a challenge, but I've learned pretty well now to deal with them now, which is rewarding. No bad feelings at all haha, to each their own, they just wrapped their fins (as Larry said :hmm3grin2orange:) around my heart a long time ago. And their beauty is stunning and presence majestic, I can't imagine my tank without them. :1luvu:
Slaphppy7 Yeah, they are far from mellow lol.

Altum is a whole different ball game though!

Slaphppy7
12-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Of course, you are "allowed" to...thanks for posting and letting us know the reason you desire them so much