PDA

View Full Version : Back from a bit of a hiatus...

sheamurai
11-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Hey all

Not sure why this morning I brought up the AC site after being gone for so long...I think it's been a year or three. Been a busy time - moving, new job, reorgs at work (one after another it seems). And my current property has more upkeep required than my previous pad, tho of course it can't compare to what William's got going on. Tho I will have to catch up on what he's been doing recently, I guess.

On the tank side, I had a crash happen oh maybe a year ago now? I made the mistake of buying fish from a vendor I knew right well wasn't great, but the fish looked healthy...ha, I don't even remember what I bought there now, I'd have to look at my tank diary...and they seem to acclimitise fine...but then I went away a couple days after they were introduced...when I came back I was in the middle of losing almost every fish in that tank. A week later, I had a handful of survivors - the bn pleco (now my oldest fish at 8 years) and oddly enough the khuli's, and a few stragglers from the rest of the community and the wood shrimp and snails). Being busy with aforesaid life goings on, I didn't do a mass take down - I just did a recovery clean up and left the tank as it was, and slowly restocked it. On the heels of that, and caused by it, no doubt, I then I had a black algae break out, which - months later - is only now finally noticeably reduced and I can say its well on it's way out. That was my 20gal long planted community. It's now fully restocked with a small school of harlies, a mixed bag of card/diamond/neon tetras, some new plants (I really like the crinium), a male sword, and some kuhlis and wood shrimp and snails.
I also started a 5 gal - one of the all included Fluvals. It was supposed to be a neo shrimp tank, but dadgum I can't keep any in there. I suspect the pH is too high, so I've pretty much given up on them. It's now a betta tank with a dragonscale betta, a few snails, and a few danios. And plants.

So now I'm just going to wander the boards a bit, and see what names I recognise.

Peace out :wink:

William
11-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Hi and welcome to AC. We are happy to have you here!

AmazonJoe
11-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Welcome back!!!!

Slaphppy7
11-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Hi stranger, good to see you back here again! thumbs2:

RiversGirl
11-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Hey there! Welcome back to the AC! It is good to see you about!

I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles in your tank, but happy that you've got things going in a positive direction again. I'll look within the forum for your updates.

steeler58
11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Welcome back, it's been a good while ;-)

sheamurai
11-17-2018, 06:17 PM
here is a pic of my 5gal. With no backing, and the reflections from all around, its hard to get a good pic.

RiversGirl
11-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Lovely!

sheamurai
11-17-2018, 06:28 PM
well, thanks!

angelcraze2
11-18-2018, 12:38 AM
Welcome back :) Nice nano, I like the transparent see-though view!

Nautilus291
11-18-2018, 03:02 AM
Welcome back! With a take that size it's not too much of a pain to use RO water from Walmart if you still wanted to keep shrimp. I used to do it in a 10g, and I'd just drop a heater in the bucket of RO water the day before I did a water change. Neat looking setup!

gadget228
11-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Welcome back to the AC... :22:

sheamurai
11-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Welcome back! With a take that size it's not too much of a pain to use RO water from Walmart if you still wanted to keep shrimp. I used to do it in a 10g, and I'd just drop a heater in the bucket of RO water the day before I did a water change. Neat looking setup!

haha Funny you say that - I'm just on my second jug of RO water...I hadn't really decided to try shrimp again tho, now that the tank is stocked...but maybe down the road...

Taurus
11-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Good golly yeah...welcome back...we missed you around here :shappy:

sheamurai
11-18-2018, 06:42 PM
good to see you are still here!