PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to Hector!

"the"Trinity
12-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Just wanted to show everyone our new Dwarf Gourami, Hector. He's really a beautiful fish, and he compliments the aquarium so well. The neons and corys were a bit skittish of him at first, but they seem to have warmed to him nicely. thumbs2:

Dave66
12-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Cute little tank, and I'm glad you got a normal, natural colored male gorami.

Dave

OscarFan
12-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Cool fish I might get one

~Erik3.8.07~
12-10-2007, 01:13 AM
pretty gourami and good coloration, hope he does well

Fishalicious
12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
He looks lovely... and from his colors he has settled in well :19: :19: Congrats x

kurly
12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Very handsome guy you have there thumbs2:

lasm
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Are you in love with your gourami?

Because I'm for sure with my dwarf. It's an amazing fish.

Squidman
12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice Dwarf Gourami. Hopefully he will thrive in your setup.

NickFish
12-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Very nice looking gourami. I will probably getting one like that very soon.
I like your selection of plants too!

"the"Trinity
12-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Thanks everyone! Hector continues to do well, and yes, we both prefer the natural colored Dwarf Gouramis as well, Dave. From what we've seen of Hector so far, the Dwarf Gourami really is an amazing fish to keep.

I've read a bit about Dwarf Gourami Disease lately, and it seems to be pretty prevalent in the fish trade now because of poor breeding conditions in Asia. Not that I have any concerns right now about Hector, but has anyone had any problems with Dwarf Gourami Disease? It sounds like a horrible affliction.

Dave66
12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Thanks everyone! Hector continues to do well, and yes, we both prefer the natural colored Dwarf Gouramis as well, Dave. From what we've seen of Hector so far, the Dwarf Gourami really is an amazing fish to keep.

I've read a bit about Dwarf Gourami Disease lately, and it seems to be pretty prevalent in the fish trade now because of poor breeding conditions in Asia. Not that I have any concerns right now about Hector, but has anyone had any problems with Dwarf Gourami Disease? It sounds like a horrible affliction.

Rams are also susceptable to the disease you mentioned, and are also injected with hormones to make them color up early, to their detriment. Countless AC members have Asian-bred Rams drop dead after a couple months.
Like Dwarf Goramis, anyone who asks I suggest they get their specimens from a private breeder or from Florida fish farms. That pathogen is jumping from species to species in Asian farms.

Dave

lasm
12-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I had two drwaf gouramis before,

the other died of an infection. First, he had something like a pimp in his mouth, and then, on side of his belly grew really badly, like a tumor. Nothing that I did could help him. None of my other fish showed something similar.