PDA

View Full Version : Does anubias grow from both ends?

Nautilus291
09-28-2018, 05:50 PM
I have an anubias that has a rhizome that is roughly 3 inches (75mm) long. It seems to only produce new growth from one side of the rhizome. It got me wondering if this is how it grows? The "old" side of the plant only has two leaves on it, and the severum must have been mad that they were covering his cave and took some bites out of them. If this side is never going to grow new growth I thought about cutting the rhizome in half and seeing if I could get it to grow from the fresh cut. Any thoughts?

BluewaterBoof
09-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Mine tend to just grow in one direction, but I have heard from many others that if you make small cuts (about halfway through the rhizome) new growth will start coming out of the cuts. I'm not sure if this applies to completely cutting through the rhizome, though.

Nautilus291
09-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Mine tend to just grow in one direction, but I have heard from many others that if you make small cuts (about halfway through the rhizome) new growth will start coming out of the cuts. I'm not sure if this applies to completely cutting through the rhizome, though.

I could try that instead. I would just like to have growth on both sides since the rhizome is so long.

BluewaterBoof
09-28-2018, 06:26 PM
Oh it’ll keep growing as long as you have it haha

A dark photo, but you can see how one of my anubias is over a foot long and no signs of stopping. Just keeps stretching out even with nothing underneath to support it lol Maybe seven or so inches are circled, but it actually goes all the way to the right edge of the photo, where it was originally attached to a piece of driftwood that has been swallowed up by all the plants.

Nautilus291
09-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Oh it’ll keep growing as long as you have it haha

A dark photo, but you can see how one of my anubias is over a foot long and no signs of stopping. Just keeps stretching out even with nothing underneath to support it lol Maybe seven or so inches are circled, but it actually goes all the way to the right edge of the photo, where it was originally attached to a piece of driftwood that has been swallowed up by all the plants.

That's pretty cool looking! I like how compact the leaves are growing on that. Thanks for the picture.

Slaphppy7
09-28-2018, 08:15 PM
Java fern is the same way, seems to grow from one end for me as well

I just threw away another big piece, maybe a foot long, from my 40B...cleared up some room in the back of the tank

Nautilus291
09-28-2018, 10:10 PM
Java fern is the same way, seems to grow from one end for me as well

I just threw away another big piece, maybe a foot long, from my 40B...cleared up some room in the back of the tank

Wow that's a lot of Java Fern! I can't get mine to grow at all.

Slaphppy7
09-28-2018, 10:19 PM
The tank they came from was my 40B, it has pretty much an out-of-control jungle, the JF had to compete with crypts and vals, so the big pieces I've removed only had leaves spread out along the rhizome where they could pop up amongst the other stuff

I'll see if I can find a recent pic

Slaphppy7
09-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Here's a piece I pulled and tossed 3 weeks ago...can you tell from which end the original piece of rhizome is, and which end the new growth was happening?.....hint: the original end became engulfed in other plants, limiting the light that reached it, while the new growth end found lighting unobscured

Nautilus291
09-28-2018, 11:55 PM
How long did it take to grow that big? And I'm going to say the right side is the old growth lol

Slaphppy7
09-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Yep, right side is old growth

Hard to say how long it took, it's been some years, maybe 3 or 4...the other plants slowed it somewhat, though

angelcraze2
09-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Just cleared out my 5.5g bedroom tank, but left the anubias alone.
I've left the anubias do its thing for probably 3 years.

I've tried the trick Boof talked about with nicking the rhizome and it DOES work thumbs2: I disinfect my knife prior with h2o2. And after the cut if I'm worried about bacteria causing rot.

angelcraze2
09-29-2018, 07:51 PM
And a pic of the java fern in my 20g spare bedroom blackwater tank
The tank was re-set up last winter. I love how the fern grows around the DW and spreads toward the front of the rocks. And there really ARE fish in there, honest!

Nautilus291
09-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Those plants are going nuts! Thanks for reaffirming what boof said. I'll definitely try that and see if I can get some more growth.