PDA

View Full Version : It's duckweed, not frogbit!

angelcraze2
09-23-2018, 06:35 PM
I thought all this time I had a red leaf variety of frogbit, I just found out it is indeed giant duckweed hahaha.

The underside of the leaves turn this reddish purple color in higher light, and the top of the leaves as well in even higher light.

Anyway, I have tried to make fish food out of it because I always had so much of it and figured it was high in nutrition. It didn't work yet, but I know I can make it work eventually.

I thought this was interesting to read. Turns out it is high in protein and calcium.
https://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/nutritional-composition.htm

Nautilus291
09-23-2018, 07:48 PM
How did you find out it was duck weed? Do you use it to block some light for lower light plants near the bottom?

angelcraze2
09-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Somebody told me lol. So I looked it up. I doubt it was some special frogbit all these years lol! Apparently frogbit is larger. I don't use it to block light, but to soak up excess nutrients, plus, I like the look of them. It's GIANT duckweed, not that regular PITA stuff. It's very prolific, but easier to eradicate if needed.

Boundava
09-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Its alot nicer than the PITA stuff. Heck of a lot nicer.

RiversGirl
09-24-2018, 08:46 PM
I like the looks of it, too! It's very pretty with the roots dangling.

bpete
09-25-2018, 10:12 PM
I do like the looks of the dangling roots,

angelcraze2
09-26-2018, 04:41 PM
And here I replaced it with water lettuce in my 120g because the roots are longer on the lettuce. I keep the GIANT dukweed in smaller tanks though. Idk, I might go back to giant duckweed....

Which one do you think would remove more nitrate?