PDA

View Full Version : Trimming leaves

DonnaSL1
09-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Hello AC and good morning . I know the answer is already here somewhere but I cant find it so here goes ..:hmm3grin2orange:....Should I ever have to trim off the floating leaves and stems from my Lily plant. Right now there are @18 stems with leaves floating on the surface with @4 more on the way ,, All leaves are still healthy with good colors and nothing wilting around edges YET. I love the look but dont want the plant to drain itself to quick . ANY thoughts All opinions welcome.:22:have a good day and will reply after work .. THANK YOUthumbs2:

BBJ
09-14-2018, 02:37 PM
I don't have much experience with this specific water plant, but I think the only reason you would want to take off healthy leaves would be either to reduce overcrowding, prepare for winter dormancy, or to possibly induce flowering. Always trim off dead/dying leaves. I hope this helps!

angelcraze2
09-14-2018, 04:34 PM
That sounds like a pretty impressive single lily plant! I don't let my lilies reach the surface (not intentionally anyway) but none of them have 18 stems. Wow. I think if the plant is still sending up new stems, it's doing fine. I just find that the leaves block out a lot of light for plants beneath, so if that's not bothering you and you love the look, you're doing fine :)

DonnaSL1
09-15-2018, 02:31 PM
That sounds like a pretty impressive single lily plant! I don't let my lilies reach the surface (not intentionally anyway) but none of them have 18 stems. Wow. I think if the plant is still sending up new stems, it's doing fine. I just find that the leaves block out a lot of light for plants beneath, so if that's not bothering you and you love the look, you're doing fine :)

Nah its not botherimg anything with so much cover because the current has made them grow towards the side with very few plants underneath it , so the shade is perfect right now . . The tank is a 60gallon tall with the lily almost centered up near back . I added swords yesterday on the bright side also a bunch more smaller river rocks to the left side ... CANT wait to post a pic but i always have the hardest time with the process that i usually give up so i will be asking for help with that ...And thank you too BBJ .

Slaphppy7
09-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Are you on a desktop/laptop PC, or a mobile device?

DonnaSL1
09-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Im answering now ae a test from my phone.

Slaphppy7
09-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Ah, I only know how to post pics from a PC...I still use a flip-phone, lol

DonnaSL1
09-15-2018, 09:06 PM
I'm also on my pc but i dont have a way to download pics to pc from phone.

DonnaSL1
09-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Is the AC's FB page still running . Ifso i could post all my fish pics on there.

Slaphppy7
09-15-2018, 09:19 PM
I'm also on my pc but i dont have a way to download pics to pc from phone.

No USB cord from phone to PC?

Or send them to your email on PC?

Is the AC's FB page still running . Ifso i could post all my fish pics on there.

Yes it is newly revamped too, but some of us (me included) don't have a FB account...I personally never will

DonnaSL1
09-17-2018, 11:34 AM
I have the pic i want to post on the phone now what. It is a pic of the lily stalks.

Slaphppy7
09-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Email it to yourself on the PC

DonnaSL1
09-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Okay ill do that now.

Slaphppy7
09-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Save the pic to your desktop, so it's easy to find

Boundava
09-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Hello AC and good morning . I know the answer is already here somewhere but I cant find it so here goes ..:hmm3grin2orange:....Should I ever have to trim off the floating leaves and stems from my Lily plant. Right now there are @18 stems with leaves floating on the surface with @4 more on the way ,, All leaves are still healthy with good colors and nothing wilting around edges YET. I love the look but dont want the plant to drain itself to quick . ANY thoughts All opinions welcome.:22:have a good day and will reply after work .. THANK YOUthumbs2:

To answer your original question. If you don't mind the shade and the plant is looking good then leave her be. Now if the plant is lean an lanky and all of the leaves are on the surface, BUT you want a more compact and bushy liliy ( or tiger lotus) then cut off the long leaves and let the light in to encourage the leaves to stay short. If that doesn't work it means your plant is "looking" for light so you may want to bump the light up.

Long and lanky (courtesy of google image search)

Leaves change when on surface (courtesy of google image search)

Compact and bushy (courtesy of google image search)

I currently have a lotus (lily) outside and it looks like pic 2, when I had it in my 75 I would trim it so it looked like pic 3.
(courtesy of my prior 75, lol)