PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry leaves

BBJ
08-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone. I have heard of using mulberry leaves in your shrimp aquarium- does this purify the water? I have some mulberry trees in my yard and was wondering how I might prepare them for a snail/fish tank.

Thank you.

sfsamm
08-27-2018, 05:53 PM
They don't purify anything. But if you dry them or blanch them green and add them to your tank RCS LOVE to eat them!

datfish
08-29-2018, 06:43 AM
They have antibacterial properties some people claim. The real benefit to adding them is the tannic and humic acids they release, staining the water and lowering the pH. The biofilms that grow are also a favourite for all manner of inverts to graze on.

RiversGirl
08-29-2018, 03:27 PM
I so wish I had easier access to a Mulberry tree. You are fortunate that you do!

If you don't spray any chemicals on your yard/landscape/trees, then you could simply collect the fallen Mulberry leaves, rinse them off with regular tap water and spread them out to dry. Then store your harvest of dry leaves in bags (freezer is ideal if you've the room for it, cabinet is fine if you don't) and you can add some to your tank whenever you wish.