PDA

View Full Version : Betta on the rocks.

MagickFish
08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
One thing I was wondering, in pet shops they often have betta fish in tiny little mini tanks, or even in drink glasses whit little room for anything but the fish. I aked once and the person in the store said they liked so smal terretories becouse bigger tanks made them stressed. Is this true. I know it is true for spiders, my chile rose Blair dont want a bigger terrarium than the one she got, becouse she get stressed if her territory is to big. But it seamned strange the betta fish would like to live in a dinks glass or a 15 cm cube of wather. If it is true, I would not mind to have one of those mine aquariums, they were cute, but I dot want to get it before I know the fish actualy like to live like that.

jnmrcs
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I have to say, it's not true. I used to have one in my 30 gallon tank with other fishes. I would recommend (that's just because I like them to be freely) at least 1 gallon for one male betta.

If you need more info, just ask. (Just in case, I read your post about oscars)

William
08-11-2006, 03:05 AM
They do well in larger tanks. They are just keept in such small tanks because they can be and it saves space in the store.

Anonymous
08-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Oh ok thank you for the information, they did look a bit unhappy in the store in those tiny aquariums. I like betta fish, but I have already desided on the fish for my 19 liter aquarium, and I dont think I have room for one more fish. 5 guppys, 2 red platy and somthing that eats alage. I also have a 12 liter aquarium that I plan to have two or three baby goldfish in, but they I m told dont go well whit bettas becuse the goldfish start to eat their fins. But I have been looking to buy a larger aquarium. Do betta fish go whit other fish like cardinal neon, platy and such?

MagickFish
08-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Oopsie, that was my post.

William
08-11-2006, 05:20 PM
You could add a Betta to your 19l.

MagickFish
08-12-2006, 09:34 AM
But I am already a bit over the cm fish per liter quota. I could perhaps get a betta instead of the pair of red platy, since I realy dont want fry in my tank. But will it go whit gyppies? I mean the betta seam rather placid clam fish and I would become rather stressed if I was to live in a smal space whit five guppies, they go up and down and up and down, all the while wriggeling those colorfull tails of their, never standing still a second. Those fish seam rather nervrotic. How will the betta live whit those?

The plaeed set up for my 19 liter is 5 guppies, 2 red platy and somthing ugly whit fins that eat alge.

gwenkat
08-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a ten gallon tank with guppies in it and I read that a betta would do well with them and my mollies so I added one. He is beautiful, bluish purple. I came home from work the next day and he had bit up the tail fins of my fancy blue guppy. Poor thing. I promptly removed Horatio, the guppy nipping betta and went to the pet store to get him his own tank. It could have been just his nature, or the tank was too small for him to play nice in, but I wouldn't put him back in with other fish. I would be careful adding a betta with guppies. It might do fine, but watch him closely. Just my opinion.

jnmrcs
08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I read (somewhere) that the betta could think that the guppy is like another betta (because of the tail) and could attack it. But I have read also that some bettas are with guppy without big problems.

It will depend on the betta. I have considered that option but I decided to have the guppies without the betta.

MagickFish
08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
I think I will be careful whit addig a betta then, to protect the guppy. I would not want any fish killed or maimed.

MelVel
08-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I actually read up on Betta's when I won one on the board walk. It said that Bettas come from small spaces in the wild, and that is why they are often kept in such small containers. Still, as soon as I got home, I bought him a 1.5 gallon tank to live in, and he seems a world happier than he ever did in that cup I brought him home in!

MagickFish
08-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I dont think they have that smal tanks in Norway, they ahve the tiny cup tanks and bigger tanks, 1,5 gallon that is aboute 5 liter right?

William
08-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Bettas can be found in small bodies of water in the wild but almost always larger than those they are kept in captivity.

Slow Cheetah
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
i know this is a bit late but i had my betta with 3 guppys for about 3 months and no problems. Only recently my fighting fish ate a guppy that was unwell (not sure if it was dead before it ate it) but again with bettas it depends on PERSONALITY :D

missyfishy
09-23-2006, 02:13 PM
i was wondering if it is a good or bad thing for betta fishes tail to turn like a clear or almost white tail?i looked at it last night and all of a sudden it popped up.

Slow Cheetah
09-24-2006, 05:00 AM
did you just do a water change? with my betta it used to get stressed from water changes so i now put him in a 8cm cubed bowl when i water change his tank. If not the betta could of been stressed by something if it wasnt water change e.g. other fish, lots of people walking past the tank, light too bright etc. It also could of been growing so its fins would be a lighter colour.

i hope this helps.