PDA

View Full Version : Cory eggs!!!

sfsamm
07-22-2018, 01:23 AM
I'd ask is it so... But there is NOTHING else in here, they are still in QT and I got them so tiny. [emoji54]
So I've gotten the best photos I could in my unlit QT of the eggs and some questions for you all.

How long till hatching?
Can anyone tell if any are viable eggs or if they are all just bunk?
What do I do for babies? Feed, temp, do I need to separate? If separation is necessary do I pull eggs or wait for fry?
I'd LOVE to have some more of these little lovelies so any and all advice is tremendously welcome!

I've been a terrible fish keeper for these guys as I've STILL not done appropriate research on them having bought them spur of the moment like a noob and several weeks later I still haven't done it but they are an absolute hoot and I'd love to add to their little school.

FYI they did this between 3:00 & 5:00 in the afternoon! I assumed this behavior would be a nighttime thing. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/3c369e4374605c4a02bd14488deedf36.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/9deb053553be8d4aa93e1fa14e19daed.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/76dfd3a77d6d7e221cd68bd2cfe2dd0b.jpg

mbkemp
07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
Did it rain? Mine like thunderstorms and a water change.

You will see them hatch in 3-4 days Generally if they make it.
if you have a way to keep them a razor blade off the glass into a hatching vessel with some methylene blue and a small sponge

Most Cory’s can do brine shrimp babies. Golden pearls are also an option

sfsamm
07-22-2018, 02:20 AM
Yikes four days.... Uhm I have no decapaulated baby brine on hand and I've never done golden pearls.... I have meth blue and could artificially hatch and out in a 10g that's well established that I use to raise out CPD fry maybe? Or I have rotifers!?

Why babies in a qt tank lol they u sure didn't make it easy for me to grow them up lol

And no it hasn't rained in weeks lol high desert no rain this time of year! And I didn't dip temps and WC was Tuesday, they would get one tomorrow but eggs are too high on the glass so I may just start doing a gall or two daily to keep them solid and not expose eggs....

mbkemp
07-22-2018, 03:03 AM
I bet if cpd fry make it some Cory’s will!

sfsamm
07-22-2018, 03:07 AM
I bet if cpd fry make it some Cory’s will!So I run that tank low 70's... Not a problem to raise it a bit I can get it up before 3-4 days. Aeneus fry should probably be kept at what temp?

Slaphppy7
07-22-2018, 03:44 AM
https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8726

sfsamm
07-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Did it rain? Mine like thunderstorms and a water change.

I just gotta give props to this lol.... We had an rain this evening... Very short but it totally happened. [emoji23]. Maybe I have weathermen in my tank!

SueD
07-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Congrats on the cory eggs. If they're the only fish in this tank, I don't think it's necessary to move them, but if you do, maybe move half and leave half where they are, just to see if there's a difference in raising them. Many cories like temps a little cooler so low 70's should also be fine - if the adults are OK, the fry should be too. Aeneus are one of the larger cories, too, so they may even be able to take some Bug Bites, if you can get them. The tropical fish variety are a little smaller than the bottom feeder ones so try those to start. But try also frozen baby brine shrimp, decap brine shrimp and even just crushed flakes. You've got a few days even after they hatch to get some appropriate foods in so no worry. This is exciting!

angelcraze2
07-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Congrats on the eggs!!!!
My cory fry did really well with microworms. I had small ramshorn snails and a few neos in the tank and they kept the eggs free of fungus. Meth blue would ensure there is no fungus. Good luck!

Btw, I think some are viable. I think I see something in the middle.

steeler58
07-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Congratulations, I hope you get a good hatch ;-)

discusluv
07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
How exciting! Ill keep my fingers crossed its a viable spawn!

DoubleDutch
07-22-2018, 06:24 PM
congrats !!!!!

sfsamm
07-22-2018, 11:51 PM
So after work this am they'd eaten a few eggs and this afternoon when I woke up there's only a few left... I'm going to leave them at this point and feed well over the next couple days and see what happens... If they are all eaten I'll remove them next time. I imagine if they spawned once already it won't be a one time event so I'll put a bit of effort in on getting them to go again and be ready to pull eggs next time.
I have all the supplies necessary to do everything it's just put away as I've not been actively trying to spawn anything since I'm so busy during summer months. And I need some baby foods lol but I can make due until some arrive as I ordered some BBS and am hoping that I found someone that can ship a culture of microworms or vinegar eels and knows how to keep them viable in the 100+ temps here during shipping.

sfsamm
08-04-2018, 12:35 AM
OK... Today they spawned again (actually their FOURTH spawn) and I rescued eggs since they have been eating them... What to expect? Yes an RCS came along when I grabbed a chunk of moss and a couple floaters from the cull tank... No time to deal with him as they only seem to lay eggs right before I leave for work lol RCS will probably end up in the Cory tank as the lil box isn't very secure to keep him in. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/5805c0e2d62ccb15d2c02aac3a71f78a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/7f12c1d4c076e418f366609051d98eae.jpg

SueD
08-04-2018, 04:01 AM
That was fast. It's gotta work this time. Excited to see what happens.

sfsamm
08-04-2018, 04:42 AM
That was fast. It's gotta work this time. Excited to see what happens.I am too! Sue they spawn like every 5-6 days! Since the first time and every single time has been riiiight before I go to work, except last week was as I was walking out the door for a 9 hour drive for vacation they were actively laying them... I sighed and left lol today I couldn't take it lol I just hooked the box up did a probably not as careful as I should have been removal and dropped them in the box... Their eggs are waaaay sticky, I probably mushed a couple trying to wipe them onto the plants and moss honestly... They don't give me enough time to be extra careful! Stinkers! I hope I can get a few to hatch and grow up for me!

Slaphppy7
08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Good luck with this batch...what's the temp of the tank they keep spawning in?

Remind me of which corys?

angelcraze2
08-04-2018, 06:19 PM
My friend had 6 orange laser cories that were spawning like that. You must have 3 or more females. How many do you have all together?

angelcraze2
08-04-2018, 06:20 PM
I think I can see the little yolk part. Baby cories!!!!!

steeler58
08-04-2018, 08:11 PM
They certainly must like your water ;-)

sfsamm
08-04-2018, 10:37 PM
I think I can see the little yolk part. Baby cories!!!!!I don't know what I'm looking for but they all looked the same this time where as before they always had two different looks... Not sure if they're all viable or all not viable but I'm hopeful! :)
Good luck with this batch...what's the temp of the tank they keep spawning in?

Remind me of which corys?They are at 78°f, which I have seen a few places say it might be a bit warm for them but I keep anything growing out on the warm side of their tolerances... Apparently it's a perfect breeding temp for them too lol.
They are Albinos some are longfin and I assume Corydoras Aeneus (Bronze Cory) as that seems to be the most readily available Albino Cory's commercially.
My friend had 6 orange laser cories that were spawning like that. You must have 3 or more females. How many do you have all together?I have 5 total, I was planning to pick up more eventually but figure if I can make them for free why not. Plus I have gotten such a kick out of them both my sisters are interested in picking up extras lol.
I haven't a clue how to sex them, this summer has been crazy busy and wasn't exactly the best timing for me to pick them up so I've still not done the kind of research I like to do before getting something new.

So today I can count 38 eggs, but I'm also fairly certain that some now look very different... Looks like a few might have went fungal and some don't have spots in them they look empty. I went ahead and added meth blue at half dose to the tank to hopefully save any others from getting fungal. It's my last night working before days off so I'm hoping anything that's going to hatch does so while I'm off. I have decided to leave them in the box until they are free swimming and hopefully find a breeder net I can place in my cull tank to keep them safe from the two remaining amanos in my RCS cull tank that I've been using to spawn and raise CPDs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/afdaa6212a66b8b7af97b1573b443354.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/a8091dbd74275903b97819310f42f5b4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/7eac255b9a3fe217fdab18e509fddcca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/1a4bc588b989c71f2162a4d79c37e36e.jpg

angelcraze2
08-05-2018, 04:22 PM
38 eggs? Congrats!!!!

If you see a fungused egg, remove or separate it from the rest, because I've had unfertilized eggs fungus up and move over to the viable eggs. If the viable eggs have progressed enough, they hatch anyway, but I've seen it destroy viable eggs.

Also, you probably already know, just making sure, MB will kill your cycle. If it's a separate tank, no worries.

Good luck, I hope you get a huge batch of cory babies. They don't take long to hatch, should be soon!

sfsamm
08-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Yes I know MB nukes my cycle, I wasn't thinking of that at the time but remembered later at work last night. It's been a long time since I used it and I was thinking about the fungus lol. I have a couple hobs on my 55 I'm just going to pull one of those tonight add it to this tank and get a 5g ready to hatch the next round. Almost all the eggs fungused overnight, so a half dose wasn't enough. This morning I added the other half of the MB to hopefully save those that haven't.
I probably should have used MB right off but the breeder box has some flow and I thought it would be enough to prevent fungus. Trial and error lol. At least I can fairly count on another spawn in a few days or a week. Now that I put the effort in on this batch I'm a bit more motivated to get it right. [emoji23]

angelcraze2
08-06-2018, 05:03 AM
For some reason, my cory eggs didn't fungus. I had the eggs at the bottom of a 5g tank with a sponge filter. I had a bunch of neocaridina shrimp and baby ramshorn snails. They must have kept the eggs clean!

But I had to use MB for ram eggs. I put the rock they were laid on in a container with a heater, soft airstone bubbling over the rock. I left them in the container until all were free-swimming, then caught all the babies in a net while pouring the MB/tank acclimated water into a bucket. I quickly transfered the net with babies to the nursery tank.

sfsamm
08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
So every egg fungused by day three. I waited 24 hours for the last just in case but then pitched everything. Today doing a WC there were a few on the back glass so I pulled them and simply dropped them into the cull tank. I have little PVC mesh tube things from a different project that I've discovered amanos don't seem to like (I stood them upright in the sand, RCS go down in amanos don't) so I did my best to get the 10 eggs into one of those, 8 made it. I think I still have an assassin snail or two in there I remembered tonight... We will see what happens. I had filled the backup 5g and it was seeping at the bottom so it was a no go. I think if they disappear I'll try sticking them to the floaters in the cull tank next time. Assassin snails don't go into the floaters at all they're too heavy :) but my cannibal amanos do... We shall see. The clutch was only 10 eggs... Maybe I'll get my act together by the time the big lady drops eggs again and I get another 40ish.

Slaphppy7
08-09-2018, 12:11 PM
The assassin snails can't get into the mesh tube, correct?...they love fish eggs

sfsamm
08-09-2018, 12:23 PM
The assassin snails can't get into the mesh tube, correct?...they love fish eggsI'm sure they probably can if there are any assassins left in there there, which is likely. We shall see if they made it through the night and if I can come up with something... Or maybe I'll see assassins in the act and can remove them lol...

Parents did lay another handful I spied behind their sponge filter in their tank also maybe 8ish I saw... Left those maybe they won't get eaten as they are fairly tucked away. And the big lady was looking large... Maybe she will lay them before 4pm today and I'll have more time to get things set up better lol

Slaphppy7
08-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Wow, they're getting after it, lol

It would be really neat to have some hatch out

RiversGirl
08-09-2018, 02:38 PM
So agree! ^ It would be awesome to get some of your Cory eggs to hatch, yes!

Those assassins are incredible hiders, aren't they? You've got a handful of different ideas to save some eggs from the diners. I'm looking forward to watching as I'm sure you will come up with a plan that works.

angelcraze2
08-09-2018, 04:39 PM
You'll get this, I know you will! Did you try a full dose of MB in a catching container with an airstone? None of my ram eggs fungused with the MB. Keeping the tiny things alive was another story! But I think you'd have a 100% hatching rate. I waited until all of them hatched before I moved them to the nursery tank. For the first few hours, there hatchlings are not eating and still feeding off the egg.

sfsamm
08-10-2018, 11:21 PM
So yeah there are Assassins in the RCS tank the eggs were gone when I came home. But I've spent the last couple days reading. I'm certain I'm not providing enough circulation. I'm working out ideas how to keep them at a stable temp out of reach of predators and I'm going to bubble the snot out OD the next batch.

I had a small batch laid behind the sponge filter, like literally behind the sponge and they were showing fungus today. There's a larger batch laid yesterday near the top of the tube of the sponge filter, they still look good right now but I'm not hopeful... I have some rearranging to do that's going to take me a while to accommodate as I just paid for some work on my house and it's basically top ramen budget for me at the moment but I have some thoughts and on days off am going to see what I can pull off with what I have on hand.... But I'm trying to figure a way to dose full MB, bubble the snot out of them AND keep them at temp since my house fluctuates so much right now while also preventing predation from tank mates.

Stinking fungus is making this quite the adventure!

angelcraze2
08-11-2018, 01:17 AM
You need a separate container. I just used a small jug thing large enough to fit the rock the eggs were attached to. You don't want to get that MB in the main tank.

You don't have to change water or worry about the cycle with MB. It oxygenates water and prevents fungus and bacteria.

Btw, I know I already mentioned this, but I don't think the RCS ate the eggs. I kept neos with cory eggs 3 times. The higher pH encourages fungus :( That's why I think you need the MB, and why rams do best with a very low pH. Unless it's lower in this tank, then I got nothing :(

Slaphppy7
08-11-2018, 03:16 PM
If anything ate the eggs, it was the assassins

sfsamm
08-17-2018, 11:56 PM
OK I found a little 10g airpump and sacrificed an unused food container to the MB stains and fish use, dug out some bubble bars I had stashed away and waited. Of course this afternoon (again while I'm working lol) they spawned. Drained some water from the adults tank, stretched an extention cord across the kitchen counter for another plug sacrificing my coffee maker for a few days to power the air pump and placed the container, bubble bar, MB and eggs... I also added a bit of moss I've got around waiting for another use (I have like 2 gallons of Christmas moss in a bucket lol)... If this doesn't work hahaha I don't know what else to try.

Feel like there's too much MB though it was only 10 cups of water and I accidentally got two drops instead of one... I was always under the assumption that it's about 1 drop per gallon on dosing, thoughts?

But no predation, same temp and params as parent tank and since there's no light just ambient room lighting in the tank I don't have to worry about that for fry. I considered adding a few cull RCS also but with MB I don't know how they handle that so decided to wait and get some opinions? Wouldn't want to get an Ammonia spike from dead shrimp. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/45289ea8dbfc83fd2a5c532f67147e7d.jpg

angelcraze2
08-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Looks awesome, good luck! I don't think it's too much MB. It's 1tsp per 10 gallons. Reduced, (no time to calculate) 1 or 2 drops per gallon seems right.

The water was very blue in my hatching container. I remember it darker actually. It's not a huge deal to overdose MB a bit. It's considered relatively safe for aquarium animals.

sfsamm
08-18-2018, 11:49 PM
24 hours and no fungus yet that's a good start! A couple attempts had fungus within that time. Hopefully they keep going well, I feel better about this attempt for the eggs sake but having it set up this way seems to stress the parents... Everyone is hiding and they didn't eat much breakfast I had to syphon it out this afternoon. I'm going to leave it as is and hope that it's not too much stress. None of the adults are panting or anything so I am hoping they are just leary of the thing at the surface. Hopefully they are viable eggs and hopefully they hatch sooner rather than later.

sfsamm
08-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Adults have gotten over the floating monstrosity in the tank for the most part, and still no fungus. But I keep reading that viable eggs should turn a tanish color and none have that I can tell so I don't know if any will actually be viable. Just a waiting game now. Hopefully I get some babies from the attempt now that I can keep the eggs from getting toasted by fungus so quickly.

BBJ
08-25-2018, 12:37 PM
That's pretty neat. I hope they all hatch and do okay.

sfsamm
08-25-2018, 01:40 PM
That's pretty neat. I hope they all hatch and do okay.They never did hatch, day 6 they started fungusing and everything I read said 3-5 days. I waited till the next day and tossed them. Nine were tannish though so I don't think they were e viable.

Slaphppy7
08-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Oh well, at least you gave them a chance...they fungused in the meth blue?....I didn't think that was possible, but I've never had eggs that made it, either

sfsamm
08-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Oh well, at least you gave them a chance...they fungused in the meth blue?....I didn't think that was possible, but I've never had eggs that made it, eitherWell I've never used MB more than 3 days... I was wondering if I should WC the tub and re-add MB to it on day 3-4... I didn't. But maybe I should have. Regardless I was a bit miffed as it was the first batch they all looked the same amd none ever changed so I kinda thought I might have had no good eggs anyway but if I did then I knew a WC on hatch day could be detrimental so I didn't push it.

It's alright, they haven't spawned since, I'm fairly sure I upset them the tub in their tank so hopefully they'll get back to it in another week or two. I accepted a new job this past week also though so maybe it was for the best I wasn't trying to sort how to raise out fry while this is happening anyway.

Slaphppy7
08-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Understood...congrats on the new job :22:

sfsamm
09-24-2018, 01:48 AM
I have a baby! I was doing nothing.... During wc today I was sucking up what I thought were moldy eggs.... Then saw one swimming.... I feel like a turd... But there is one swimmer left for sure.

https://youtu.be/Rh-Y1dE7E20

DoubleDutch
09-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Aahhhh great

sfsamm
09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
So if ordered golden pearls a bit back, completely forgot about them after I got notice they'd be a while on backorder or whatever... Randomly this morning I remembered that USPS put something in my box while I was painting so omw out the door to catch my ride to work I grabbed the package so it didn't sit out all day.... It was my golden pearls! So question is this, to get food to the baby Cory(ies) in a 20g tank with 5 adults how much would you guys think I should add daily? Twice daily?
I got the CPD fry down pat but they're a totally different setup.... Or should I try an find and pull the fry and add it(them) to the grow up tank where there's no adults and it(they) will have ample feeding opportunity without competition? Grow up I use for CPD is only 10g but I imagine it would be fine the first few weeks so long as I don't end up discovering like 40 fry

([emoji24] still can't believe I was syphoning them away like moldy eggs yesterday evening)

SueD
09-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Is this 20g with the adults just a bare bottom tank? Any decor in there?

I can only tell you that the one cory duplicareus I had hatch in a 20g tank received no special attention/food from me as I never knew he was there. I never saw eggs and there are pencilfish and green neon tetras in this rather densely planted tank. So any other eggs must have been eaten or fungussed. But this one little guy just appeared one day and obviously found enough food to sustain himself. He's a year old now. What I don't know is if any other eggs did, in fact, hatch and those fry did not make it because they did not find enough food. I don't think they would have been eaten after hatching.

If the tank is bare bottom, it should be easy to keep clean of excess food if needed.

sfsamm
09-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Is this 20g with the adults just a bare bottom tank? Any decor in there?

I can only tell you that the one cory duplicareus I had hatch in a 20g tank received no special attention/food from me as I never knew he was there. I never saw eggs and there are pencilfish and green neon tetras in this rather densely planted tank. So any other eggs must have been eaten or fungussed. But this one little guy just appeared one day and obviously found enough food to sustain himself. He's a year old now. What I don't know is if any other eggs did, in fact, hatch and those fry did not make it because they did not find enough food. I don't think they would have been eaten after hatching.

If the tank is bare bottom, it should be easy to keep clean of excess food if needed.

Yes it was actually their qt (had them since May) but they started laying eggs and since I'd planned to get a few more I left them and have been kinda working on getting some babies up. So the adults are in there. There's also a chunk of driftwood, a long stone and a couple fake plants. Just basically the stuff I don't much like but keep to provide cover in QT :)

It's got a super ultra fine and very light sand about 1-2"-3/4" deep. Usually my QTs have some sort of cheap substrate this one has the sand that syphons just like water.

The tank is unlit and actually right next to my kitchen sink so water changes are crazy easy (hence why no bucket searching for other babies, they'd have went straight down the drain). I can do daily wc if nitrAtes are ticking up until he(they) are grown enough to see better and I'll catch up on syphoning. Right now it's 5 adults in a 20g tank their nitrAtes are under 10 at the end of the week.

But it's only been up since May and there's no light just some dim ambient lighting, it's not pitch dark or anything, but north side of the house and around the corner from the window under a cabinet lol, so natural foods are going to be exceptionally sparce I'd think.

I just don't want to completely go overkill trying to get him food with the adults all swarming around. I've got dbbs, Sera micro and now more golden pearls so I've on hand plenty but it's just a question of how much lol and opinions on moving the guy to be with my other babies being too stressful? CPD fry are in a very well established tank and I left my last spawn for 6 days no feeding at all around 3 weeks old and they did well finding their own food but I've no such faith in a tank originally setup for qt. I feel I needto decide how to supplement or have advice on moving the lil peep(s) to a better tank to grow up. I just don't wanna kill him like I think I did his siblings.

SueD
09-24-2018, 07:38 PM
I have 2 Spec V's right near my kitchen sink, too - so easy. But I still siphon into a bucket I place in the sink because I have RCS in these tanks. I can't count the number of shrimp I've had to net out of the bucket. And the fish in these tanks are pretty small although I haven't sucked one of them up yet.

sfsamm
09-24-2018, 08:40 PM
So true! All my shrimp tanks go into a pitcher and are checked gallon by gallon and then again before emptying my bucket. Countless shrimp lives have been saved this way! Plus it makes it easier to get my plant water poured into gallon jugs when I start with pitchers... I've dumped gallon jugs more than once after spotting a shrimp.

My community tanks or those in which I wish they'd stop breeding (my son's live bearer tank lol) all get they python into a bucket the yard. I've had a zebra danio take a spin on the python roller coaster before. She zipped intentionally straight up the python and down the tube before I had a chance to curse let alone shut off the flow lol.

Cories are much larger than the little syphon I use on their tank to try and keep less sand from leaving, but obviously I'll be trying something new at least while I try to make Cory babies so I don't make the same mistake twice.

RiversGirl
09-24-2018, 08:43 PM
I just don't want to completely go overkill trying to get him food with the adults all swarming around.

Have you considered putting in an IAL? Even without a regular tank light, the leaf should still support some infusoria, which might be just the ticket.

sfsamm
09-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Have you considered putting in an IAL? Even without a regular tank light, the leaf should still support some infusoria, which might be just the ticket.That's an idea that would definitely help. I might have some that aren't completely falling apart already full of the stuff in a tank... Have to poke around in the corners!