PDA

View Full Version : I think my betta is dying

NoelFae
07-06-2018, 09:51 PM
So my tank paras are good and I change the water weekly so I know my betta likely isn’t sick.

He lays at the bottom of his tank all day and as of about a week ago he’s not eating anymore.

I don’t want him to suffer but I don’t really know what else to do? My grandma says to flush him but I cant do that to him knowing he’s still alive :(

RiversGirl
07-07-2018, 03:05 AM
Please do not flush him - your gut is correct on that. Please do not ever flush a still living fish. (or any other critter, for that matter). There are humane methods to euthanize, if it becomes necessary.

Sorry to hear that you think he is dying. Can you perhaps post a photo? Are you able to post his water test results?

NoelFae
07-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Here’s the best picture I can get; he’s been laying around like this for about 2 weeks, but for a while he would still come up for food. Then about a week ago he stopped coming up for food. I’ll post the paras when I get home

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/2d4a3caa2fe71ba64fd99e3611061504.jpg

angelcraze2
07-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Awww :(
Is he alone in the tank? Which tank again? Is he in your grandmother's tank with the ummmm...platies? maybe? Or was it a 5g? Can't remember....

How old is he?

NoelFae
07-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Here’s my water paras

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/5553b07a74e4c073ed14f8d2d256e173.jpg

I know PH is high, but my city in general has high PH, so it’s always been over 8 in my tanks.

And no, he’s by himself in a 10g

I have two bettas, Ares in a 10 and Hermes in a 5. My grandmas tank is at her house and it’s a 20g but her apartment is down the hall from mine so I do the harder upkeep on hers as well.

I’ve had Ares about a year and a half. I don’t know how old he was when I got him at the store though.

I was gonna change the water, and treat with paraguard for a week. Like I said I don’t think he’s sick but I’d rather try than not do anything at all.

He’s still moving around a little bit, as he moved from that spot on the plant to behind his heater.

angelcraze2
07-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Tx for the param pic. In the pic, it looks like there is 0.5ppm ammonia. Do you have any Prime?

A water change is a great idea. If you change out 50%, add a tad bit more Prime to new water to detoxify the rest of the ammonia in the tank (0.25ppm), so 0.25ml for 10 gallons.

There is no problem with your tap water?

NoelFae
07-07-2018, 08:54 PM
No no problems with the tap water. It’s my water change day anyways so I always change between 25-50% and treat with prime

angelcraze2
07-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Ok great :) See if he perks up at all after the WC

Slaphppy7
07-07-2018, 09:07 PM
No need to treat with meds if you have no idea if he needs them.

1 1/2 years is about the longest I've ever been able to keep bettas from the box stores; it may just be his time, soon

Do the WC, condition with Prime, and wait and see, is what I would do

angelcraze2
07-09-2018, 04:08 PM
How's Ares after the WC?

I'll just tell you some ways to humanely euthanize.
Clove Oil- A few drops mixed in a bowl of water will act like an anesthetic and Ares will fall asleep. Add more clove Oil until gills no longer move four one minute.

Ice Slurry- I think he is too large for the ice slurry method, he is more then 1.5 inches? The ice slurry method involves adding the fish to a container of ice water. The fish will pass in seconds. Not recommended for fish larger than 4cm though! The ice will not do the job.

I can't even write the other method. But ì sure you know what it is. Placing the fish in a bag helps.

Make sure he is euthanized humanely before sending him off to the ocean (flushing) please!

BBJ
10-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Aw, poor little betta!
:yellowcry: