PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Robert here...

RetroBob
07-04-2018, 04:51 AM
Hello, I maintained a 45 gallon flat back hex aquarium for years before I married my wife. However, prior to getting married I sold all of my fish, and I never got around to setting my aquarium up again. Now, ten years later we have purchased land to build a house. She gets an in ground swimming pool, and I get a man cave that will provide space for an aquarium. I decided to start up an aquarium again ASAP once we get moved in. Therefore, I feel that I need to get a head start on my research now. I would like to have a semi-clear idea of what I want, and a good understanding of how to get there by the time we move into our new house.
This is why I am here, and what I hope to achieve.

-Robert

William
07-04-2018, 04:54 AM
Hi and welcome. Hope to see you around a lot.

gadget228
07-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Riyadh
07-04-2018, 11:05 AM
:wavegreen: Welcome
What species you thinking of keeping, small, large or odballs? How big a tank?

SueD
07-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Welcome.

But an inground pool (lucky wife) not to mention the maintenance, chemicals, party preparations now for all of your friends visiting, certainly deserves space for more than one aquarium. Just think ahead, in case the bug hits stronger once you get back into this hobby.

bpete
07-04-2018, 12:38 PM
welcome to the AC and welcome back to the hobby. I really think you would be better off using the in ground pool for some real tank buster fish.

Slaphppy7
07-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

RetroBob
07-04-2018, 04:00 PM
@ Riyadh - I would like to keep small tropical community fish again. I prefer most of my fish to be in the 1.5"-2.5" range with no more than three species in the 3"-6" range. I always enjoyed the different colors, and that their size, and peacefulness allowed for several different species. I would really like to set up an aquarium around a large school of Tiger Barbs, or a large school of Serpae Tetra with a balance of top, mid, and bottom dwellers. I love so many different types of fish, but unfortunately they can not all survive in the same environment. If I could work miracles I would have Cherry Barbs, Gold Barbs, Tiger Barbs, Ghost Catfish, Albino Corydoras, Peppered Corydoras, Zebra Danios, Silver Hatchetfish, Coolie Loaches, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Diamond Tetras, Serpae Tetras, a Pleco (definitely not a common), some Cherry Shrimp, and an Apple Snail (I will NEVER have hermaphroditic snails again) for character. Speaking of aquarium inhabitants that I will never have again... I had problems with Bala, Rainbow, and Redtail sharks terrorizing their tank mates, I had a crayfish for one day before fish started coming up missing, I had a Siamese Fighting Fish that was always a victim, and I had some crabs that spent more time running across the carpet than they did in the aquarium. However, this setup would end up with 90% of the fish dead from something, and none of the living fish healthy. I can not have that. As far as size... it depends. If I decide on the Tiger Barbs, or the Serpae Tetra I will be in the 120-140 gallon range. However, there is still a chance that I will go with larger fish if I decide to go with another one of my favorite fish the Clown Loach. If I decide to go with the Clown Loach I will be in the 180-200 gallon range.

@ SueD - I have explained to my wife that I need a minimum of two aquariums. I told her no fish comes home, and immediately enters the community. I will definitely have a second 20-30 gallon aquarium for quarantine. However, if I do get hit harder by the bug then I am expecting I am going to set up my old 45 gallon flat back hex, if the seals still hold water, for a Siamese Fighting Fish. The most beautiful fish that I have ever kept was a deep red wine colored Fighter with long flowing fins. In my opinion there is no fish that can compete, and I find myself speechless when others disagree. I would love to have an aquarium dedicated to one of these with an array of excellent tank mates.

@ bpete - If it were warm enough here I would definitely love to see some Red Tail Catfish, and Peacock Bass in some crystal clear water. Maybe even some Black Pacu.

-Robert

Riyadh
07-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Nice, I like large Tanks. However if you want to keep so many different species, what about a wall of 60cm or 90cm tanks instead.

steeler58
07-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the AC ;-)

RetroBob
07-04-2018, 09:08 PM
@ Riyadh - Honestly, if I decide to go with the Tiger Barbs, or the Serpae Tetra I am looking at needing 60-65 gallons alone for the size school that I want, and if I decide to go with the Clown Loaches that can surpass 12" I will want an even larger aquarium. More aquariums would allow for more different species, but not the school sizes that I really enjoy watching. When observing aquariums I enjoy watching large schools of the same species such as thirty Tiger Barbs, or thirty Serpae Tetra moving together as a single unit, a school of three dozen Corydoras comprised of multiple species glideing across the bottom of the aquarium, or a dozen Coolie Loaches forming a ball that seemingly rolls across the bottom of the aquarium. With multiple smaller aquariums I have to forfeit what excites me the most. Also, I am a HO Scale model railroader, and I would love to have a single large aquarium form a reference point that I can center my layout across from with a sitting area in between the two. However, do not misunderstand me, I am in no way opposed to multiple aquariums. I just like multiple aquariums to be big, and in separate rooms because, for me, an aquarium will always be the focal point of any room that it is in, and competition from another aquarium diminishes that for me.

-Robert

Slaphppy7
07-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Lots of info here, consider starting a journal in the Aquarium Journals section, where you will get more views than in the Intro section

RetroBob
07-04-2018, 11:11 PM
@ Slaphppy7 - Thank you very much for your recommendation. I was just enjoying myself as I responded away to whoever was curious enough to ask me about what I had in mind. I will enjoy starting, as well as, updating an aquarium journal. I just assumed that the aquarium journal was for those individuals who were actively in the process of setting up, or showing off their aquarium. I will be consolidating my posts in this thread, and starting a new thread in the aquarium journal forum ASAP.

-Robert

RiversGirl
07-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the AC! I'm very much looking forward to following your journey when you start your journal. Glad you have joined us here!

angelcraze2
07-05-2018, 09:16 PM
:welcomeconfetti: Robert. Looking forward to following your project :)

waylon101
07-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Welcome to AC!

cajunqn81
07-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the AC :fish: