PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca's Simple Garden Reef

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

showmebutterfly
06-24-2018, 04:22 PM
The time is nearing to upsize my SW setup from it's current 20g tank to the 40B. I am in the research and planning stage right now. As you can see, I have 2 very cute (but lazy) research assistants helping me today.
I plan to use the equipment I already have and whatever must be purchased will have to be either on a good sale or from Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc. When I say frugal, I ain't playing. [emoji6]
I'm making lists of what I already have and what I may need to purchase. I'll share those on another post. For now, I'll get back to scheming / planning. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/60e891a8d6596bfa02143e4cb433a624.jpg

Slaphppy7
06-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Woah, tell those two to calm down, patience is key in the hobby, LOL

Good luck with the upgrade, Rebecca :22:

angelcraze2
06-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Cool, I like frugal :thumbup: I try to DIY and recycle as much as possible too. I'll be looking forward to the upgrade build.

Oh so cute, they are already buddies!

RiversGirl
06-24-2018, 08:16 PM
You've worked your research assistants to the bone! hahahaha Such cuties!

Good luck with your upgrade. I hope you find great deals (free!) on just what you need for your project!

SueD
06-25-2018, 03:15 AM
I love orange kitties. Her canine friend is pretty darn cute, too.

One benefit of being in the hobby for some time is that you usually accumulate stuff when you decide to upgrade/add and delete tanks. Hmmm...I should clean out my cabinets soon.

BluewaterBoof
06-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Woohoo! Another salty! Looking forward to what you end up with.

Just curious as to why you're going FOWLR. A 40b would give lots of room for a bunch of pretty corals :hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
06-26-2018, 07:42 PM
After taking inventory of what I have, making lists of what I think I need to get this build going and items I'd like to have down the road, this is what I've come up with:

Have:
2 Oscellaris clownfish
2 or more brittle starfish (hitchhikers)
Nassarius and cerith snails
40B tank, with stand, glass lid and heater
36” Current USA Satellite LED Plus light fixture
Live sand in 20g SW tank
Approximately 20 lbs. live rock
Approximately 10 lbs. dry rock
AC70 HOB Filter – modified
Hydor Koralia Nano Criculation Pump 240 GPH
Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump 425 GPH
Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 (230 to 1000 GPH)
Eshopps Nano Skimmer, rated for 10-35 gallon aquariums
Refractometer
Saltwater Test Kit
20g QT, with glass lid, light and heater

Need:
Additional substrate to mix with live sand from 20g
Additional 10 lbs. (at least) of either dry or live rock
Additional / more powerful circulation pumps
Winning lottery ticket

Want:
36” T5 HO Quad Light fixture
AC110 HOB filter
Bigger and better protein skimmer
Additional livestock
Winning lottery ticket

The current light fixture is not ideal in the least for a SW setup. My plan is to not have it on enough to encourage algae growth.
The modified AC70 is not used for filtration, but adds some extra water volume and flow. I could possibly put the heater and / or the skimmer in there and use it as a very small sump, but I haven't experimented with that yet.
It's almost a given that I've left some stuff off or haven't thought of them yet, but I've got notes galore.
Now, back to more research.
I'd love some suggestions for substrate. I don't think I want more sand, but something that I can mix with the sand I already have and it look natural, more or less.

angelcraze2
06-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Just curious as to why you're going FOWLR. A 40b would give lots of room for a bunch of pretty corals :hmm3grin2orange:

I think OP already has the tank from keeping fish previously and is upgrading the salty tank.

BluewaterBoof
06-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Need:
Winning lottery ticket

Ain't that the truth!?

Maybe for budget pump options, take a look at the Jebao PP-4 wavemakers. They have different modes to generate waves and surges to give a bit more natural flow to the tank and prevent detritus from settling in cracks, and can ramp up pretty high. They were a bit too powerful, even on weakest setting, for my nano but I think they would work very nicely in a 40g setup.

I think OP already has the tank from keeping fish previously and is upgrading the salty tank.

FOWLR means Fish-only (Fish Only With Live Rock) :) I was just curious as to why she didn't want to go with corals in the tank. Wasn't sure if she wanted fish that weren't reef-friendly or if maybe budget didn't allow for adequate lighting or something.

showmebutterfly
06-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Maybe for budget pump options, take a look at the Jebao PP-4 wavemakers. They have different modes to generate waves and surges to give a bit more natural flow to the tank and prevent detritus from settling in cracks, and can ramp up pretty high. They were a bit too powerful, even on weakest setting, for my nano but I think they would work very nicely in a 40g setup.

FOWLR means Fish-only (Fish Only With Live Rock) :) I was just curious as to why she didn't want to go with corals in the tank. Wasn't sure if she wanted fish that weren't reef-friendly or if maybe budget didn't allow for adequate lighting or something.

I'll take a look at that wavemaker and do some research on it. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and their equipment can be all over the place, so it's good to have recommendations.
The budget for adequate lighting is non-existent right now, hence no corals for the foreseeable future. Plus, I kind of like the minimalist look. Or that's what my pocketbook is telling me, anyway. lol Also, I tried a couple of mushrooms in my 20g and managed to kill them. I still feel bad about that.

mch1984
06-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Looking forward to following along. Since the HOB filter isn't really being used for filtration you could also turn it into a mini refuguim to help with algae in the display. It wouldn't take a very expensive light to operate a small fuge like that. Just a thought.

showmebutterfly
06-26-2018, 09:15 PM
I had some chaeto algae in it at one time. I think that's how I ended up with my hitchhiking brittle starfish. The light I had kept falling off and it just became a PITA to mess with. If I can rig up something better, I may get some more of the chaeto and try again. I had originally intended to keep macro algae in the 20g, but I could never find any locally and never bothered to order any online.

Looking forward to following along. Since the HOB filter isn't really being used for filtration you could also turn it into a mini refuguim to help with algae in the display. It wouldn't take a very expensive light to operate a small fuge like that. Just a thought.

mch1984
06-26-2018, 09:20 PM
I had some chaeto algae in it at one time. I think that's how I ended up with my hitchhiking brittle starfish. The light I had kept falling off and it just became a PITA to mess with. If I can rig up something better, I may get some more of the chaeto and try again. I had originally intended to keep macro algae in the 20g, but I could never find any locally and never bothered to order any online.

I'm not familiar with that filter, is it a black plastic housing or a clear housing?

angelcraze2
06-26-2018, 09:26 PM
FOWLR means Fish-only (Fish Only With Live Rock) :)
Lol, thanks! I told you I'm a SW newbie!

showmebutterfly
06-26-2018, 11:15 PM
It has a semi-clear smokey gray plastic housing.

I'm not familiar with that filter, is it a black plastic housing or a clear housing?

bpete
06-27-2018, 01:35 AM
It's a dogs life. I like DIY and enjoyed. Reading this post. Gives a person encouragement to pursue projects that sometimes seam out of reach.

showmebutterfly
06-28-2018, 01:54 PM
The hubs and I will have a rare day off together on Wednesday (Independence day) and I've asked for his help with the new SW set up. I want to give the tank a good cleaning and have him check the bottom of the stand, to see if it needs any reinforcement. Even though I won't have a sump, I will be putting the 20g in the bottom of the stand for a QT tank and / or keeping saltwater prepped and heated for water changes, so we need to make sure the floor of the stand is able to hold the weight. Also, the tank and stand are going to have to be moved out a few more inches from the wall. I only have the AC70 HOB filter for now, but figure we might as well make sure there's plenty of room for an AC110 while we're at it.
This weekend I have plans to go to a small SW LFS in a nearby town to see what livestock and equipment they carry. I'm hoping I can find substrate and a bit of dry rock at a decent price while I'm out and about. I will want to cure the new rock, so the sooner I can get that going, the happier I'll be.
I'm not in a huge rush with this build and can sort of take my time, but at some point this year we're going to be doing a pretty big home remodeling project and I have to have the 20g SW tank out of the dining room before then. Having to move that setup is pretty much what helped me decide that it was time to upgrade. If I'm going to have to tear it down, I might as well build it back up bigger and better.

Boundava
06-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Lots of plans, I love it! thumbs2: Hope you both get everything done and get some time to enjoy yourselves.

showmebutterfly
06-28-2018, 02:04 PM
If we don't have to reinforce the stand, we should have lots of time to chill. If it has to be reinforced.. meh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's good to go and just needs to be scooted out and re-leveled. Old house = uneven floors.

Lots of plans, I love it! thumbs2: Hope you both get everything done and get some time to enjoy yourselves.

mch1984
06-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Sorry for the slow response, I asked because my friend designed a genius fuge light on his nano tank. He used some diy led and legos, but I'm not sure if it would be enough if the housing isn't clear.

showmebutterfly
06-29-2018, 01:56 AM
Anything made with Legos has got to be pretty nifty. [emoji1]
Sorry for the slow response, I asked because my friend designed a genius fuge light on his nano tank. He used some diy led and legos, but I'm not sure if it would be enough if the housing isn't clear.

showmebutterfly
07-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Score! I was able to get over 18 lbs. of really nice dry reef rock for just $20, thanks to a young lady in one of my FB aquarium groups. There's nothing quite like buying rocks out of the trunk of a car in a movie theater parking lot. [emoji12] I am excited that I now have all the rock I need for the larger set-up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180630/5f3508e2cb431ae99e4b826c9f8d2bcb.jpg

showmebutterfly
07-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Fun with rocks. And stinky epoxy. Just what the hubs wanted to do after a long day at work. He built the cool arch structure on the left. The funky stack on the right is my masterpiece. [emoji23] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/beb4528844de6bd7acdf1ad7fd7bc06a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/572361f9bd153d57d95f51b1fb81000d.jpg

Boundava
07-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Fun with rocks. And stinky epoxy. Just what the hubs wanted to do after a long day at work. He built the cool arch structure on the left. The funky stack on the right is my masterpiece. [emoji23] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/beb4528844de6bd7acdf1ad7fd7bc06a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/572361f9bd153d57d95f51b1fb81000d.jpg

Looks great. Nice job both of you. I love both pieces.

showmebutterfly
07-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Thank you, Nat! I'm really happy with how they turned out.

mch1984
07-02-2018, 01:02 PM
rock work looks good.

showmebutterfly
07-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Thank you, mch!

bpete
07-02-2018, 04:17 PM
I wonder if you had any suspicious looks while you where buying rocks out of a car trunk. the structure building adventure looks great. any particular brand of epoxy works best?

showmebutterfly
07-02-2018, 05:37 PM
If I did get suspicious looks, I was too excited to notice. lol Our LFS charges $3.50 per lb. for those kinds of rock.
This was my first experience with using epoxy, so I can't really offer a good recommendation. I bought Fluval Sea epoxy at Petco. I'm hoping it's good stuff.
I wonder if you had any suspicious looks while you where buying rocks out of a car trunk. the structure building adventure looks great. any particular brand of epoxy works best?

showmebutterfly
07-03-2018, 12:23 AM
I'll be following Cliff's sticky on how to cure dead rock. His notes say the curing process will take about 3 weeks. I've got the new rocks soaking, so let the curing begin!
The old maxi jet that I had planned on using for circulation wouldn't start, so I stuck an old AC30 on the back for now. Also, it looks like I missed a spot when I was scrubbing the glass. Oopsie. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180703/092b9f66d284649cfe6f2d8ed6701688.jpg

showmebutterfly
07-03-2018, 04:08 PM
I get so confused about this, so I'm throwing this out here to see if it makes sense.
The maxi jet 900 that I had planned on using has been trashed, since it wouldn't power up at all. I have ordered a new Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 gph circulation pump from Amazon, to add to the Nano 240 gph and 425 gph that I already have. Not including flow from the AC70 HOB filter, those 3 pumps will give me a total of 1265 gph, divided by 40 gallons = almost 32x flow. My best guess is that is considered moderate flow? Like I said, I get confused. I am guessing that there will be areas of higher and lower flow rates based on how the circulation pumps are positioned.
Even though I plan on having a fish only with live rock setup, I'd like for any new equipment I have to purchase to be able to grow with the tank, in the event that I ever decide to keep an anemone or corals. From what I've been reading, an anemone needs low to moderate flow, softies and LPS coral prefer low flow and SPS coral prefer moderate flow.
So.. with the circulation pumps producing, in theory, moderate flow throughout the tank and having some areas of low flow due to rock placement, does the gph sound ok for a 40B?

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 07:01 PM
You won't really know until you mess with their placement and how they're aimed.

You could get a big gyre going with moderately current by placing and aiming the pumps to where they are all pushing the water along the same direction, or you could create some good turbulence/random flow by putting them in different configurations and aiming them so that they are pointed towards rocks, each other, away from each other, etc.

I had a 320gph return in addition to two 660gph wavemakers in my little 13.5g Fluval Evo tank and it was actually fairly tame because I had them pointed in different directions so that all the currents were fighting against each other. It just took a bit of playing around with them to get the kind of flow I wanted. My LPS, nems, and SPS all did fairly well in the tank, although I will say that none of my corals were particularly difficult species to begin with. It's important to note that you don't really have to worry about nem placement because they will move to wherever they are happy.

I would suggest an actual wavemaker instead of the new Koralia, or get the controller with your Koralia. If you do decide to turn the tank into a reef, the corals are going to respond better to a tank that surges and mimics the ebb/flow motion of the ocean. If a coral is sitting in a spot that gets a steady flow in a particular direction, the side that isn't facing against the current will be more likely be deprived of food and oxygen. Getting a controller or buying a wavemaker that already comes with one will allow you to create pulses and surges in the tank that will not only ensure proper delivery of nutrients to all the animals but also prevent detritus buildup as the water movement is always changing.

showmebutterfly
07-03-2018, 08:02 PM
You won't really know until you mess with their placement and how they're aimed.

You could get a big gyre going with moderately current by placing and aiming the pumps to where they are all pushing the water along the same direction, or you could create some good turbulence/random flow by putting them in different configurations and aiming them so that they are pointed towards rocks, each other, away from each other, etc.

I had a 320gph return in addition to two 660gph wavemakers in my little 13.5g Fluval Evo tank and it was actually fairly tame because I had them pointed in different directions so that all the currents were fighting against each other. It just took a bit of playing around with them to get the kind of flow I wanted. My LPS, nems, and SPS all did fairly well in the tank, although I will say that none of my corals were particularly difficult species to begin with. It's important to note that you don't really have to worry about nem placement because they will move to wherever they are happy.

I would suggest an actual wavemaker instead of the new Koralia, or get the controller with your Koralia. If you do decide to turn the tank into a reef, the corals are going to respond better to a tank that surges and mimics the ebb/flow motion of the ocean. If a coral is sitting in a spot that gets a steady flow in a particular direction, the side that isn't facing against the current will be more likely be deprived of food and oxygen. Getting a controller or buying a wavemaker that already comes with one will allow you to create pulses and surges in the tank that will not only ensure proper delivery of nutrients to all the animals but also prevent detritus buildup as the water movement is always changing.Thank you for the suggestions! I will probably end up getting a controller for the Koralias. If I end up needing more powerheads, I'll look at the wavemakers.
My mom thinks my clownfish need an anemone. I think I don't need stuff that could sting me. lol But they are pretty cool. I have seen that clownfish also like the torch corals.
Which do you think would be easier for a beginner to care for (and not kill), anemone or torch?

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 08:41 PM
My clown set up shop in one of my frogspawn corals, which was cute. I've also seen them go for zoas...and powerheads...and corners...and rockwork lol They're pretty whacky fish and a lot of folks say that is why they're called clowns :)

Nems can't really sting you if you're careful. Most species don't have nematocysts that are long enough to penetrate the thick outer layers on the palm of your hand and pads of your fingers. They feel sticky to the touch, not painful. If they happen to get you on the back of your hand or your arms, that can be uncomfortable, especially with carpet nems. They can also get you through open cuts/wounds on your hands, but if you have open wounds you need to keep your hands out of a tank anyway, regardless of FW/SW and inhabitants. A lot of reefers use gloves for their tanks. Too easy to cut yourself on the sharp rocks and then leave yourself exposed to toxins and bacteria in the water. I use a pair of 26" long nitrile gloves for all my tank work and they are amazing. I can grab my corals and nems without worrying about flesh-to-flesh contact and they are much easier to use than the old scaping tongs I used to work with haha

Torches (or any euphyllia such as frogspawn and hammers) will generally be easier to keep than a nem. For one, they are corals and therefore stay where you put them in your tank. Nems are mobile creatures, and will move where they please. This can lead to problems such as moving to a spot where you can't see/enjoy them, like behind a rock, stinging and killing off corals as they move around, and in some cases they will float around and get sucked into overflows or shredded up in circulation pumps/wavemakers.

It is also important to note that torches are the more aggressive of the euphyllia corals. Grapes, frogspawn, and hammers are the more peaceful ones. If you get a torch, be sure to leave several inches of space between it and other corals as they can wreck some **** with their sweepers haha

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Although it won't host a clown, a rock flower anemone is also an amazing creature that is easy to keep. It is one of the easier types of nems as it doesn't move much and is more tolerant in terms of water chemistry. In my experience, they stay where you put them, although I have one that moved about 2 inches.

mch1984 turned me onto them a while back as I was not too keen on dealing with the usual anemones. They are one of the most beautiful creatures we can keep in our tanks, in my opinion.

A rock flower "garden" ripped from google.

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Here is a nifty little video I made while feeding mine. My phone doesn't handle the blue reef lighting very well so I had recorded in black and white, but it is still a fun video to watch despite not getting to see the intense red, blues, and yellows on the nems.

https://youtu.be/gtvi38ZWCtk

showmebutterfly
07-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Thank you for all the good information, Boof! That video is super cool. Your sexy shrimp got out of the way quick when he knew it was feeding time. lol

BluewaterBoof
07-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Haha yeah he did! He and his missus spend most of their time playing in the flower nems so they know what's coming haha

mch1984
07-04-2018, 02:26 AM
I agree with all of that lol. if you get technical with my 90 gallon I only have around 19x turn over rate, 900-1000 on return and 600-700 on gyra. Boof is right, placement and random flow is a lot more important. I will have to disagree with the anemone thing, but only out of opinion and not that anything he said is wrong. I love anemones and I wish I was brave enough to add one with my coral. Since you plan on making this a fish only for a while, that would give the tank time to mature and get ready for an anemone. More than anything they need steady consistent parameters. I think a 40b would make an excellent anemone and clown tank. One day I will build a system dedicated to anemones. I also second the rock flower anemones, they are some of my favorite inhabitants and that's why their rock is front and center.

showmebutterfly
07-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Pump placement is another confusing topic for me. I'm thinking about buying a few of those silicon anemone decorations to place around the tank while I'm messing with the pumps to help me visualize the flow patterns.
:help:
It's going to take me a while to work up courage to try the live anemones. I've had my 20g for over 2 years and I'm just now thinking about maybe, possibly, sometime down the road, getting one. Maybe. lol

I agree with all of that lol. if you get technical with my 90 gallon I only have around 19x turn over rate, 900-1000 on return and 600-700 on gyra. Boof is right, placement and random flow is a lot more important. I will have to disagree with the anemone thing, but only out of opinion and not that anything he said is wrong. I love anemones and I wish I was brave enough to add one with my coral. Since you plan on making this a fish only for a while, that would give the tank time to mature and get ready for an anemone. More than anything they need steady consistent parameters. I think a 40b would make an excellent anemone and clown tank. One day I will build a system dedicated to anemones. I also second the rock flower anemones, they are some of my favorite inhabitants and that's why their rock is front and center.

BluewaterBoof
07-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Depending on how many of those fake nems you were going to get, this might be a cheaper option:

They produce micro bubbles when attached to an air pump, and the bubbles are small enough to be carried by the currents (even slow ones). I use them to bubble scrub my tanks and they helped me dial in my pumps as it let me see all the swirls and how the water flowed around my rockwork.

showmebutterfly
07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
That's a great tip. Thank you! I have some diffusers and several air pumps, so that will definitely save money. thumbs2:

Depending on how many of those fake nems you were going to get, this might be a cheaper option:

They produce micro bubbles when attached to an air pump, and the bubbles are small enough to be carried by the currents (even slow ones). I use them to bubble scrub my tanks and they helped me dial in my pumps as it let me see all the swirls and how the water flowed around my rockwork.

showmebutterfly
07-06-2018, 01:18 AM
The Hydor Koralia 600 came today. It's a little bigger than I was expecting, but I don't hate it.
I needed to test for nitrates and phosphates tonight, but the phosphate test kit I ordered hasn't made it here yet. Nitrates were between 5-10ppm, so I did a 50% water change. I don't think the hubs appreciated my having to walk back and forth in front of the TV so much while he was trying to watch it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180706/0c47aba0bd52c9db2163c640bd414539.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Looks good!

What PO4 kit did you order?

I have been using Salifert and have liked it's accuracy and simplicity. I'm jealous of those who get Hannah checkers but I don't have the budget for those haha

showmebutterfly
07-06-2018, 06:33 PM
I ordered the API brand. I've heard good things about Salifert.

Looks good!

What PO4 kit did you order?

I have been using Salifert and have liked it's accuracy and simplicity. I'm jealous of those who get Hannah checkers but I don't have the budget for those haha

BluewaterBoof
07-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I use Salifert for my PO4, Mag, Alk, and Cal. I'm colorblind and the API color charts mess with me big time. I'm curious as to how the API works out for you.

mch1984
07-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Now I want to buy some air stones and check out my flow, I would have never thought about that.

showmebutterfly
07-06-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm not colorblind, but I do often have problems reading their color chart. I make my husband look at it and we both make our best guess as to which color the sample matches on the chart. Fun times. lol

Yeah, I use Salifert for my PO4, Mag, Alk, and Cal. I'm colorblind and the API color charts mess with me big time. I'm curious as to how the API works out for you.

BluewaterBoof
07-06-2018, 09:04 PM
I irritated the hell out of my wife with those API kits years ago haha Especially when I was cycling my first tank and was having her look for me on a daily basis.

showmebutterfly
07-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Yup. That's what my husband has to look forward to with me. But we've been down this road before, so he's resigned to having to help out his crazy wife. I'm lucky he's so laid back and good natured. lol

I irritated the hell out of my wife with those API kits years ago haha Especially when I was cycling my first tank and was having her look for me on a daily basis.

showmebutterfly
07-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Nothing exciting going on, but I wanted to document some changes.
Phosphate was around 0.5ppm and nitrate around 5.0ppm this morning. I did a bit over 50% water change and moved the AC70 from the 20g to the 40B and put the AC30 on the 20g. There's no media in them, but they provide extra water volume and flow.
I was hoping to put the Eshopps nano skimmer in the AC70, but it wasn't a good fit. It's also not a good fit inside the tank due to the glass lid. The rim on the tank limits the adjustability, which is why it never worked well on the 20g. I could wait and see if it would work inside the AC110, if I decide to get one of those, but I think I'd rather put the money toward a better skimmer. It looks like I'll probably keep the AC70 and sell the Eshopps.
Meanwhile, here's another pic of my lazy assistants.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/7a8ce03072ce412662fb9674b79f7222.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the skimmer difficulties. I ran into the same kind of fitment issues, myself, when I set up my 20long reef. Once I included a sump to the setup it made things a lot easier, but getting everything for the sump and putting it all together ended up costing more time and money than I really wanted to invest in. I'm glad I did it but I'm definitely glad it's over haha

showmebutterfly
07-09-2018, 05:24 PM
I think most skimmers are made for rimless tanks or sumps. I've been looking at some HOB models, but am not sold on any particular one yet. I read somewhere that skimmers are more beneficial for larger tanks and not always necessary for a nano tank. I've also read that some aquarist classify anything 40 gallons and under as a nano setup, which seems like crazy talk to me. I would probably consider 20 and under as nano, but any bigger than that and I feel like they're getting pretty substantial. But what do I know. lol

Sorry to hear about the skimmer difficulties. I ran into the same kind of fitment issues, myself, when I set up my 20long reef. Once I included a sump to the setup it made things a lot easier, but getting everything for the sump and putting it all together ended up costing more time and money than I really wanted to invest in. I'm glad I did it but I'm definitely glad it's over haha

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 05:41 PM
I had heard/read the same thing about smaller tanks not needed skimmers. I had my tank running for a few months before I broke down and bought one due to never being able to get my phosphates down to where I wanted them. Even with weekly 40% water changes and pouches of Phosguard and Chemipure Elite, I could never get my phosphates below 0.3ppm. Within days of getting my cheap little Coralife biocube skimmer, my phosphates dropped to under 0.03ppm. I saw a huge difference in the growth and polyp health in my corals once I added the skimmer, and I started being able to save more time and money by stretching out and reducing the frequency of my water changes. My skimmer is one thing I held off on and debated for months and after getting it I wish I had gotten it sooner.

I think it's also important to note that my tank is coral-dominated. Our feeding/waste levels are probably quite different as are the water parameters. I'm sure my broadcast feeding of powdered coral foods dirties up my water much more quickly than your fish do.

RiversGirl
07-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Meanwhile, here's another pic of my lazy assistants.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/7a8ce03072ce412662fb9674b79f7222.jpg

You are clearly working them way too hard. Or perhaps it is that you are paying them too much. Ha!
They cuddle up so well together. They just invite you to come and cuddle, don't they?

I hope you find the right skimmer for you, if you determine that one is necessary.

showmebutterfly
07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Thank you, RG. I guess it takes a lot of beauty rest to look as cute as they do. The kitten is either sleeping or bouncing off the walls, there is no in between right now. lol

You are clearly working them way too hard. Or perhaps it is that you are paying them too much. Ha!
They cuddle up so well together. They just invite you to come and cuddle, don't they?

I hope you find the right skimmer for you, if you determine that one is necessary.

RiversGirl
07-09-2018, 06:18 PM
hahaha! The way you tell it cracks me up -- just like a little bouncy ball, hmm? SO much fun.

showmebutterfly
07-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Phosphate at 0.25ppm
Nitrate at 5.0ppm
50% water change
Added heater to the tank - it's not needed right now, but there's less chance of it getting misplaced or broken if it's in the tank.

RiversGirl
07-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Added heater to the tank - it's not needed right now, but there's less chance of it getting misplaced or broken if it's in the tank.

Wise of you. You wouldn't want your assistants to suddenly decide to help with the heater.

showmebutterfly
07-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Buster kitty tried to help with the water change by 'chasing' the water as it went thru the hose. Later he was helping me cut fabric. By dragging it off the table. He's very helpful. [emoji23]
Wise of you. You wouldn't want your assistants to suddenly decide to help with the heater.

RiversGirl
07-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Hahaha! What a busy little helper!
Do you have to wait for his catnap to get anything done?

I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing. Other people's kittens are adorable.

showmebutterfly
07-11-2018, 03:09 PM
It doesn't do any good to wait. He's a very light sleeper and doesn't want to miss out on anything. lol He's a mess, but at least he's a really cute mess.

Hahaha! What a busy little helper!
Do you have to wait for his catnap to get anything done?

I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing. Other people's kittens are adorable.

showmebutterfly
07-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Last night's tests on the 40B showed zero nitrate and around 0.25 phosphate.
The big news (actually tiny news) is that while I was feeding the clowns in the 20g, I figured out that what I thought was a small aiptasia is actually a tiny fan worm. I was planning on killing the aiptasia with hydrogen peroxide, but now I will be researching fan worms and being very careful with that rock when it gets moved to the 40B.

BluewaterBoof
07-12-2018, 03:51 PM
A feather duster worm?

I like the small ones that come in on live rock. The big salami ones at the store...not so much haha

Congrats on not having aptasia! I actually just had a "nightmare" last night that I had an outbreak of dozens of them. I haven't had an aquarium dream in quite some time so that was odd...

showmebutterfly
07-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Yes, it's one of the small ones. I'm pretty sure it came in with one of the mushrooms I bought way back when. The mushrooms didn't survive, probably due to my crappy lighting situation. :scry:

A feather duster worm?

I like the small ones that come in on live rock. The big salami ones at the store...not so much haha

Congrats on not having aptasia! I actually just had a "nightmare" last night that I had an outbreak of dozens of them. I haven't had an aquarium dream in quite some time so that was odd...

angelcraze2
07-12-2018, 08:55 PM
A feather duster worm?

You remember your dreams often? I do too, but only since a stressful ordeal that left me with PTSD. It's crazy the silly but realistic things you dream of. I was having the hardest time discerning dreams from real life for a while at first, that doesn't work very well when you're trying to explain. I dreamt an animal got into the garbage and when I remembered I rushed to go clean up the mess on the street. No mess and one confused girl lol.

BluewaterBoof
07-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Not too often. They're pretty chaotic, but sometimes I'll be able to recall small snippets here and there. I have a bottle of an antihistamine called hydroxyzine which I never use because it makes me terribly drowsy the next day (like almost falling asleep at work), and that stuff gives me insanely vivid and coherent dreams that stay with me for years. One time I took some before bed and I had a dream that I was at a house party and sitting in the living room chatting with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt while sipping on some beer. Had a full conversation with them, and even went to go work out with Tom at one of his acquaintance's places after Brad left. I can still recall the house, conversation, and what Tom's friends looked like (a very sweet elderly couple who ran a small biker bar). It took me a while to link the dreams with the medication, and I found out that it is actually quite common to have crazy dreams while taking the stuff. You can google hydroxyzine dreams and you'll get all sorts of forum discussions, drug interaction info sheets, and even youtube vids that talk about the abnormal dreams the stuff causes.

I had a period of about 10 years in which I suffered from hypnopompic hallucinations. That wasn't fun. I used to live in a house that had a big closet in my bedroom with french doors. Sometimes I would wake up and look towards the closet and see things like tarantulas the size of house cats crawling on my clothes or hissing ethereal ghosts coming towards me with their arms over their heads and tattered clothes slowly waving around as if they were in water.

It really started to be an issue once I met my wife and we moved in with each other. I would wake up in the middle of the night and see large lobster-type monstrosities hanging over her, and I would go into a panic and try pulling her out of the way, or sometimes not even have any recollection at all and she would tell me that I woke her up and would be shouting at her, asking her why she would bring something so awful into our house as I stared in horror at an open doorway. A lot of times I would wake up and see the hallucinations, which would freak me out because they were always disturbing in nature, but I would quickly recognize them for what they were and be able to snap myself out of it before waking my wife. It made it very difficult for either of us to get a good night's sleep, and I felt awful about it because I had no idea what was causing it or how I could stop it. I stopped having them about two years ago. I can't think of any particular trigger or recall when they stopped occurring, we just realized one day that it had been a while since I had them and yeah...haven't had any since.

I've had several dreams about aquariums that stick with me for some reason, despite not being able to remember most of my dreams. One of the first ones involved having an aquarium for a head. I looked in a mirror, and the top of my head was like a clear glass bowl, with an amazing little flooded forest in it, and as I drew closer to my reflection to check it out, I essentially entered into the flooded forest. I also had a dream in which thousands and thousands of red cherry shrimp started crawling out of one of our tanks in the living room and were all over the carpet and furniture.

showmebutterfly
07-12-2018, 11:42 PM
I hardly ever remember my dreams. But my memory capacity has always been lacking, awake or asleep. I do good to remember my name some days.

showmebutterfly
07-13-2018, 12:00 AM
While testing for nitrate and phosphate this evening it finally dawned on me that I should have been comparing the test samples to the freshwater chart and not the saltwater chart, since I hadn't added any salt yet. Once I figured that out, I realized that my levels are better than I thought and I'm calling the curing process complete. I did about an 80% water change and added what salt I had on hand. I'll need to get more Instant Ocean to raise the salinity to where it needs to be. I plan on moving one or two of the live rock over from the 20g to start the cycling process once I get the salinity stable.

showmebutterfly
07-16-2018, 05:59 PM
I plan on moving 1/3 to 1/2 of my live rock from the 20g to the 40B to start cycling. I know when I move the rocks that it will stir up a lot of trapped yuck and I'll want to do a water change. I have concerns about doing too much of a water change, especially with removing some of the biological filtration. Should I be concerned? Also, since I'll be removing rocks, I imagine that I'll need to add new water to top off the tank. Should I do the water change before or after adding the new water? I'm thinking after, but there might be a reason for adding the new water first and then doing the water change. I have 2 clownfish and I want to keep them happy and healthy during this transition period.

BluewaterBoof
07-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Do you have an extra set of hands to help you? If you do, I would suggest having someone hold the siphon near the base of the rocks as you're lifting them out of the substrate and tank. This will capture a lot of that crud and remove it from the tank before it has a chance to spread and pollute the tank. Once you have transferred your rock, continue to pull out water from the original tank for the water change. If you wait to perform the water change until after you have added more water to compensate for what the rock had displaced, you're going to be changing already-diluted water and it won't be as effective as it would be if you did a WC on the tank immediately after removing the rock.

Are you keeping the clowns in the old tank, or were you planning on eventually transferring them to this new tank?

showmebutterfly
07-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Thank you for your response, Boof. I might be able to sweet talk the hubs into helping me with the siphon. I don't have a deep sand bed, but still worry about unleashing a toxic cloud of gunk that would wipe out all living things in the tank. That's not being overly dramatic at all, right? BTW, I'm a worrier. lol
I also had concerns about the mini brittle stars that live in the rocks, but I've been doing some research and read that they're pretty hardy. At any rate, I'm going to try to keep the rocks under water to limit die off. Most of the rocks in the 20g are smallish, so I might be able to move those without any air exposure.
Yes, the clowns will be moving to the new tank. I plan on moving them last, since I know I'll likely rearrange the rocks more than once and don't want to stress them out or send them carpet surfing. I'd like to move the rocks in stages, half now and the rest later. I'll have the clowns hang out in a tote or a bucket for an hour or so while I move the sand over. The 20g will get to be the QT for any new additions, before they go into the 40B.
I'm trying to move slow and not get in a rush.

Do you have an extra set of hands to help you? If you do, I would suggest having someone hold the siphon near the base of the rocks as you're lifting them out of the substrate and tank. This will capture a lot of that crud and remove it from the tank before it has a chance to spread and pollute the tank. Once you have transferred your rock, continue to pull out water from the original tank for the water change. If you wait to perform the water change until after you have added more water to compensate for what the rock had displaced, you're going to be changing already-diluted water and it won't be as effective as it would be if you did a WC on the tank immediately after removing the rock.

Are you keeping the clowns in the old tank, or were you planning on eventually transferring them to this new tank?

BluewaterBoof
07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Gotcha.

Not being overly dramatic, at all. I've seen plenty of folks crash tanks when not being careful. Just be sure to continue to ghost feed the new tank after you put the live rocks in there so that the bacteria has something to eat :)

showmebutterfly
07-16-2018, 08:57 PM
I'll likely be overly cautious, but better safe than sorry. Ghost feeding the new tank will be great. Whenever I'm feeding the fish in my other tanks I always head toward the 40B and have to stop myself from sprinkling food in there too.

Gotcha.

Not being overly dramatic, at all. I've seen plenty of folks crash tanks when not being careful. Just be sure to continue to ghost feed the new tank after you put the live rocks in there so that the bacteria has something to eat :)

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 12:31 AM
I transferred the rock with the feather duster and the barnacle piece tonight. You can see what the 20g looked like before and after, how the 40B looks with the new pieces (not a lot of difference apparently - I had to point them out to the hubs) and a pic of the feather duster.
I didn't disturb any of the base rock in the 20g, but still did a small water change. The clowns didn't act too upset with me.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/ceecdb908502f9bbddb6497e00edca23.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/eae7f90029bfeeda7aa6f8fe6fba4b84.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/d8b69995f58e284ee76864f52956a8f5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/3820781a1c5b5f800a693f01e34fcc31.jpg

mch1984
07-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Tank is looking good, nothing wrong with being cautions. Guys like me that have the lets just do this attitude run into problems sometimes lol. Saltwater has taught me some patience but not that much. I wouldn't worry about the rocks getting exposed to air too much though, they can take some exposure without a lot of die off. When I transferred stuff to my dads tank, I treated some algae with peroxide, did a quick dip in freshwater to rinse of deal algae, and then sat the rock on a table to scape. With all that my dads tank didn't cycle, tiny little diatom bloom but that's all. Everything is doing great in there.

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Thank you. Rock placement and aquascaping are a PITA to me. I have approximately zero ability to visualize how things will fit together, without actually fitting them together. lol There's always lots of trail and error and moving things around involved. It's so much easier to work with the rocks out of the water, but I don't think all my brittle starfish would take kindly to their homes being dried out. Not to mention how much I'd freak out if they crawled out onto the table while I was messing around with the rocks. :eek: I'll just have to make a mess moving rocks around in the water. lol With this being a FOWLR tank I definitely want the rockwork to look as decent as I can possibly make it look.

Tank is looking good, nothing wrong with being cautions. Guys like me that have the lets just do this attitude run into problems sometimes lol. Saltwater has taught me some patience but not that much. I wouldn't worry about the rocks getting exposed to air too much though, they can take some exposure without a lot of die off. When I transferred stuff to my dads tank, I treated some algae with peroxide, did a quick dip in freshwater to rinse of deal algae, and then sat the rock on a table to scape. With all that my dads tank didn't cycle, tiny little diatom bloom but that's all. Everything is doing great in there.

BluewaterBoof
07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
I agree with Matt; don't stress too much over the rocks being out of water. When I set up my first marine tank, the reef store did not send me home with water in my bucket for the live rock I purchased. I asked them to provide some water to keep them wet and they refused, but instead wrapped each piece in wet newspaper. Not the most ideal method, but they were fine being transported like that for 30mins in my car. I still had plenty of live critters and didn't experience any die-off. Your rocks should be fine out of water as long as you don't let them sit for like 10+ minutes.

I feel ya on the whole scaping thing. I'm awful at it and always approach my new tanks with no foresight/vision of how the finished product will turn out. My caridina tank in my signature pic is testament to that. Had I known that my moss-covered driftwood was going to end up looking like a giant phallus once everything grew in, I would not have set it up that way :rolling: *once seen, it cannot be unseen*

BluewaterBoof
07-17-2018, 05:14 PM
...nothing wrong with being cautions. Guys like me that have the lets just do this attitude run into problems sometimes lol

Like how we both made "oopsies" with our sumps? Me with my wrong type of silicone and you forgetting to remove your wood block spacers? :hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Geez. Now that's all I'm going to see when I look at that pic. Thanks for that. :banghead: :rolling:

Had I known that my moss-covered driftwood was going to end up looking like a giant phallus once everything grew in, I would not have set it up that way :rolling: *once seen, it cannot be unseen*

BluewaterBoof
07-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Eeeeyup. I was so proud of my tank. Then I posted it up on a planted tank FB group and one lady pointed it out. I was crushed. Told my wife and her response was "yeah, I could have told you that a long time ago but didn't want to hurt your feelings."

It looked so cool in the beginning haha

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Your wife is awesome. lol

Told my wife and her response was "yeah, I could have told you that a long time ago but didn't want to hurt your feelings."

mch1984
07-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Like how we both made "oopsies" with our sumps? Me with my wrong type of silicone and you forgetting to remove your wood block spacers? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes thank you for reminding me lol. One of the stupidest moves I've made in this hobby. Such a pain in the butt to remove all the silicon and redo it. Worst part is, I still haven't put that sump into use. I got side tracked redoing the 180. I have the driftwood soaking now, but It's been a week and half and they haven't let up leaching tannis yet. Oh well, once they are done I will redo it and put that nice 55 gallon sump into use.

I hate scaping tanks as well, especially salt water tanks. I hope to do a 400+ in the next couple of years after we add on to our home. I look forward to all of it, except the scaping of the tank. I cringe when I think of what the 90 was like and what it will be like to do that big of a tank. The smaller tanks are no easier, It took me a while to get my dads in a way I liked.

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 06:00 PM
I will be envious of the huge saltwater tank, but definitely will not be jealous of your having to scape that. It makes my brain hurt just thinking of all the possibilities and logistics and the massive amount of rock you'll have to work with. What are your stocking hopes and dreams for the 400+?

I hate scaping tanks as well, especially salt water tanks. I hope to do a 400+ in the next couple of years after we add on to our home. I look forward to all of it, except the scaping of the tank. I cringe when I think of what the 90 was like and what it will be like to do that big of a tank. The smaller tanks are no easier, It took me a while to get my dads in a way I liked.

mch1984
07-17-2018, 06:07 PM
I will be envious of the huge saltwater tank, but definitely will not be jealous of your having to scape that. It makes my brain hurt just thinking of all the possibilities and logistics and the massive amount of rock you'll have to work with. What are your stocking hopes and dreams for the 400+?

Honestly not much at the moment, its still a big dream. We are planning on adding on to our home in 2020, and that will be a big part of it. I have already started adding up cost and it's pretty bad. The tank may have to wait anther year after that, but we will see. I'm exploring DIY tank options, I do like to build things. That big of a tank is scary though. I know I will have lots of open sand bed and be fairly minimalist on rock scape. I like my LPS coral and a lot of them are good in the sand bed. If I get my true dream tank, it will be 96" x 48" x 24" so I picture 4 or 5 island of rock with tons of swimming room. If I get to go that route, then I will probably do one of the small shark species. There are only a couple I feel ok with putting in a home aquarium and although they supposedly can be in a 180 gallon I wouldn't do it to them. Outside that, I have no idea lol.

BluewaterBoof
07-17-2018, 06:20 PM
My dream lies somewhere along the lines of Spardas’ latest and greatest. He set this bad boy up toward the end of last year. I believe he said the tank was 17ft long. Had to stand across the room to fit it all in one photo. A tang’s paradise.

Boundava
07-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Me too! :rollingred:

mch1984
07-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Tanks like that are beautiful no doubt, but something about the super deep tanks that I just love. I was originally planning on going 36" deep until I saw a 48" deep tank and decided that's what I want. (deep being front to back just to clarify).

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 08:41 PM
I am glad you clarified that. lol I was picturing you having to just about stand on your head to do anything near the bottom of the tank. Front to back depth is great. It's one of the things I like about the 40B over a 55.

Tanks like that are beautiful no doubt, but something about the super deep tanks that I just love. I was originally planning on going 36" deep until I saw a 48" deep tank and decided that's what I want. (deep being front to back just to clarify).

mch1984
07-17-2018, 08:43 PM
I am glad you clarified that. lol I was picturing you having to just about stand on your head to do anything near the bottom of the tank. Front to back depth is great. It's one of the things I like about the 40B over a 55.

Haha, yeah my wife likes the tall tanks like that. If she had her way I would do a FOWLR tank and not coral, it wouldn't be as big a deal then. But I like coral so I don't want anything taller than my 90 gallon. It's a lot easier to get the proper lighting that way.

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Our jungle tank is fairly tall and it's such a pain to do plantings or anything near the bottom. It looks nice and fits well in the corner, but I do not like having to stick my entire arm in the tank to work on stuff.

Haha, yeah my wife likes the tall tanks like that. If she had her way I would do a FOWLR tank and not coral, it wouldn't be as big a deal then. But I like coral so I don't want anything taller than my 90 gallon. It's a lot easier to get the proper lighting that way.

BluewaterBoof
07-17-2018, 09:21 PM
https://youtu.be/vhs6D0MExzI

Super cool, but when I gotta put on scuba to do maintenance, I draw the line

:hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
07-17-2018, 09:29 PM
That is just too much!

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Testing in the 40B showed zero ammonia. I transferred over 2 more pieces of live rock from the 20g. That sent the feather duster into hiding, but I noticed little starfish arms waving from one of the dry rock pieces. I tried to get a video, but they're hard to see. Meanwhile, in the 20g, the clowns aren't too sure about all the empty swimming space.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/8af8f5f9e5fa778a8d87e07ee44a6169.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/d79fd83eed3b5b4fe2ee8e7ab38f6038.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2018, 02:38 AM
Almost there!

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Almost there!I thought I'd see at least trace ammonia when I tested tonight, but I'm ok with all the parameters being good. I may end up barely having to cycle, which seems weird. lol

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 03:33 AM
The view from my chair earlier this evening. Our house panther was stalking her prey. Or the kitten. Or possibly me. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/7548c01946d23cf1ad12c6d569f85cc9.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2018, 05:18 AM
I thought I'd see at least trace ammonia when I tested tonight, but I'm ok with all the parameters being good. I may end up barely having to cycle, which seems weird. lol

The benefit of live rock :) It has all your nitrifying bacteria already on it.

mch1984
07-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Tank is coming along nice, looking good.

Boundava
07-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Love the house panther-what a cutie and s/he looks more concerned about the photo being taken without permission, lol

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 01:30 PM
It's still weird. lol After all the ups and downs with cycling my other tanks, this just seems like a saltwater miracle.

The benefit of live rock :) It has all your nitrifying bacteria already on it.

She's a mess. I'll have to get a picture of her lounging on the back of a chair sometime. She straddles it just like a panther does a tree branch.

Love the house panther-what a cutie and s/he looks more concerned about the photo being taken without permission, lol

Boundava
07-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Wednesday has a similar face, only because the darkness make their eyes pop.

This one loves nooks and bags and baskets-anything she can shove herself into.

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Wednesday is a beautiful kitty! Tortoiseshell?

Wednesday has a similar face, only because the darkness make their eyes pop.

This one loves nooks and bags and baskets-anything she can shove herself into.

Boundava
07-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Thank you and yes she is a tortie (with all those tortie ways:help:), and super fluffy, we think she has some ragdoll in her too.

Shoving her way into anything-so long as it hold her fluff.
She is not afraid to do some mean lounging either...lover her bald spot from being fixed.

Tortie ways...rasberry tongue-she was talking to us in the bag-this was her beginning of thank you for this wonderful bag for my butt, conversation. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a giff, but its too big to post. https://photos.app.goo.gl/PSZqBhohvuP2azZWA

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Ha! And she likes to bake too. Or at least help. lol

Thank you and yes she is a tortie (with all those tortie ways:help:), and super fluffy, we think she has some ragdoll in her too.

Shoving her way into anything-so long as it hold her fluff.

She is not afraid to do some mean lounging either...lover her bald spot from being fixed.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Parameters were good again tonight. I put back one of the smaller pieces that I'd moved over last night and brought over the largest rock. I plan on leaving a few of the smaller rocks in the 20g to use as filtration in the QT. I definitely want to move over all the rocks that were given to me by my dad. He didn't have a lot of luck with his reef tanks back in the late 80s and was just getting back into FW before he passed. The last time I spoke with him he was telling me about an all-in-one SW nano tank that he had his eye on at his LFS. I definitely get my love of aquariums, my tendency to jump into a hobby with both feet and my impatience from him. lol Good memories. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180719/ef265a78ac0a5c8bf7f2b1a49989e368.jpg

Boundava
07-19-2018, 02:49 AM
Looks great. ��

bpete
07-19-2018, 12:44 PM
looks good. it is very nice to see these projects, being able to not have to spend 6 months worth of salary on a SW tank.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Thank you, Nat!

Looks great. ��

Boundava
07-19-2018, 02:32 PM
the ? ? is supposed to be :thumbsup:

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Thank you, Pete. I could never save up that much money anyway. I'm too spendy. lol I was lucky enough to have some of the costly stuff already. Also, going FOWLR instead of reef helps keep the cost down. I'm seeing more YouTube videos and hobbyists in the forums running SW setups without sumps and being successful. The sump part was what always intimidated me and the plumping and setup for those can be pricey. Once I found out I didn't absolutely have to have a sump, it was game on. thumbs2:

looks good. it is very nice to see these projects, being able to not have to spend 6 months worth of salary on a SW tank.

BluewaterBoof
07-19-2018, 05:25 PM
I've never been good at saving up money, either. All of my tanks, both saltwater and freshwater, get pieced together over time as funds become available for each part.

I ran an all-in-one for the first six months and can vouch that a lot of the extra equipment like sumps, skimmers, and reactors aren't necessary. I would also like to add that I have gradually obtained a lot of that extra equipment and it has made a world of difference, so I can't really say someone doesn't need them. It really boils down, as most things in the hobby, to the individual person and the specific goals of each setup.

An example - perhaps the best example - is the Ma Rit Za vase. A "simple" little 1 gallon vase with no filter or any type of equipment except for a single air pump for water circulation and a bit of oxygenation.

https://youtu.be/wFd-1nr66RA

On the flip side of that, you will have a portion of folks who will try or have tried to recreate similar setups with disastrous results.

As I saw mentioned in the other journal (I think Mac's), there is kind of this unspoken contest among a lot of the marine hobbyists to show off the size of their wallets. An individual shows off a indecently massive protein skimmer they just bought and everyone Oooohs and Aaaaahs instead of questioning the need for it in the first place, such as asking what is being done to the tank that would generate so much waste to begin with, such as overstocking, overfeeding, and/or lack of proper cleaning/maintenance.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 06:21 PM
We should start asking them what they're compensating for and suggest they could save their money and just take better care of their tanks. I'm sure that would go over great. lol But some people just like having the latest and greatest thing. I guess if they can afford it, good for them. I'm not about having to eat Ramen noodles for a month to make up for spending too much money on any of my hobbies. lol I'm more impressed by hobbyist who find innovative ways to save money!

As I saw mentioned in the other journal (I think Mac's), there is kind of this unspoken contest among a lot of the marine hobbyists to show off the size of their wallets. An individual shows off a indecently massive protein skimmer they just bought and everyone Oooohs and Aaaaahs instead of questioning the need for it in the first place, such as asking what is being done to the tank that would generate so much waste to begin with, such as overstocking, overfeeding, and/or lack of proper cleaning/maintenance.

BluewaterBoof
07-19-2018, 07:34 PM
You should see the fits I cause when I tell some people they don't need to stuff their filters with bio media haha Every surface in a person's (cycled) tank is covered with nitrifying bacteria, and - more importantly - the colonies of bacteria are limited by the available food. Simply adding more "houses" to the tank will not increase the amount of bacteria in the tank if there is not an increase in bio load/waste, as well. Furthermore, if there is an increase in said bio load/waste, the bacteria colonies will automatically increase in size to handle the new supply without any intervention by the tank's owner. To the topic at hand; if someone has such an ammonia issue in their tank that the bacteria can't keep up with it, that is a clear indication that they are grossly overstocked, lack proper water movement, or something else is awfully wrong with the setup, such as dead animals rotting in the tank. All of those issues should be addressed as opposed to trying to cover them up with a band-aid.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 10:24 PM
You should see the fits I cause when I tell some people they don't need to stuff their filters with bio media haha Every surface in a person's (cycled) tank is covered with nitrifying bacteria, and - more importantly - the colonies of bacteria are limited by the available food. Simply adding more "houses" to the tank will not increase the amount of bacteria in the tank if there is not an increase in bio load/waste, as well. Furthermore, if there is an increase in said bio load/waste, the bacteria colonies will automatically increase in size to handle the new supply without any intervention by the tank's owner. To the topic at hand; if someone has such an ammonia issue in their tank that the bacteria can't keep up with it, that is a clear indication that they are grossly overstocked, lack proper water movement, or something else is awfully wrong with the setup, such as dead animals rotting in the tank. All of those issues should be addressed as opposed to trying to cover them up with a band-aid.I'm glad you are able to tell them all that and try to educate them. Hopefully some of them actually listen. Eventually that bandaid falls off or has to be ripped off.

Meanwhile, I think I got a little ahead of myself with the new tank. I got the bright idea that I should start my CUC and went looking for nassarius snails. I didn't find any of those (I was told they may get a shipment tomorrow), but ended up coming home with 4 astrea snails. I read after I got home that they should only go in an established tank. I should have used Google at the store to double check them. It didn't occur to me to put them in the old tank until after I'd acclimated and put them in the new tank. My brain power failed. I did resist buying a blue-legged hermit crab. Mostly because they all seemed to be wearing nassarius snail shells.

BluewaterBoof
07-19-2018, 10:37 PM
I did resist buying a blue-legged hermit crab. Mostly because they all seemed to be wearing nassarius snail shells.

I had some electric blue hermits and they constantly harassed my snails...and the corals...and each other. I regretted getting hermits within a couple weeks and rehomed them before they could do more damage.

The snails might be ok. I'm sure there is a lot of yums for them on all the rocks you have already transferred over. You can also leave the lights on for longer periods to promote algae for them, if it comes down to that.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Yikes. I'm glad I resisted getting one! I broke up a couple of algae wafers and threw them in the tank for the snails. I think that will count as my ghost feeding for tonight. Although, I guess since there are mini brittle stars and snails in there, it's no longer ghost feeding. If all goes well I may move the clowns over this weekend. Then I'll be ghost feeding the 20g until I get some fish to quarantine.
I had some electric blue hermits and they constantly harassed my snails...and the corals...and each other. I regretted getting hermits within a couple weeks and rehomed them before they could do more damage.

The snails might be ok. I'm sure there is a lot of yums for them on all the rocks you have already transferred over. You can also leave the lights on for longer periods to promote algae for them, if it comes down to that.

BluewaterBoof
07-19-2018, 11:31 PM
The clowns should be fine with their new home this weekend and will more than likely be thrilled to have so much more room and new things to explore :)

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 03:01 AM
[emoji445] I'm at the top of the world, looking down on creation.... [emoji445]
This must be the daredevil of the bunch.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180720/2dc976835cb9b973d0d78c31a6b5da02.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 03:43 AM
King/Queen of the tank!

mch1984
07-20-2018, 03:31 PM

I'm not saying your wrong or down playing what happen with your hermits. I have about half a dozen hermits in my tank and have never had a problem with them. They may agitate the snails, but I've never witnessed it. I am fixing to make an invert order and plan on adding a couple of more, I want a Halloween hermit. Just strange how some do and some don't.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 03:38 PM
I find it amazing how everyone's tank is different. Even if they're set up in the exact same way and have the exact same stock, they would still be different in various ways. Nature is going to do its own thing however it wants.

I'm not saying your wrong or down playing what happen with your hermits. I have about half a dozen hermits in my tank and have never had a problem with them. They may agitate the snails, but I've never witnessed it. I am fixing to make an invert order and plan on adding a couple of more, I want a Halloween hermit. Just strange how some do and some don't.

mch1984
07-20-2018, 03:54 PM
I find it amazing how everyone's tank is different. Even if they're set up in the exact same way and have the exact same stock, they would still be different in various ways. Nature is going to do its own thing however it wants.

For sure and some of it may be that i'm pretty detached from the clean up crew. I'm not saying I want things to die, but I guess if a hermit kills a snail then it doesn't bother me. I'm not even sure if they have, I just tend to not pay as much attention to the clean up crew. If they started bothering my coral then I would have big problem and they would probably end up in my sump.There are a few exceptions to that, I want a sea cucumber and I would always be looking for that creature. They are so cool! Some of it is the circle of life for me though. I just put a feather duster in my tank, honestly as an experiment. I have a couple of fish that may end up eating it, so I bought a cheaper one to test it out. Maybe that's wrong, but I figure if it happens then something got fed out it.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Yeah, mine were vicious. I would walk by the tank and one of the little buggers would be holding a trochus snail upside down and be pulling at the trap door. I'd have to reach in and separate the two. The hermits would also crawl over to the corals and dig into their mouths and rip out the foods that the corals were just fed. I would try feeding them them own foods before the corals to keep them preoccupied, but as soon as they finished they would be at the corals. They were also ALWAYS pulling the corals loose from the rockwork. It seemed like almost every other morning I would find frags face-down in the substrate and I would have to re-glue them. It was incredibly annoying.

The final straw was when I bought several pretty blue gorgonians. Within an hour or two of getting them in the tank, the hermits were going after the polyps. I was able to chase them away that evening, but there wasn't anything I could do once I had to go to bed. I woke up and every single gorgonian was stripped down to the bone and the hermits were hanging out in their branches. I was livid.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 04:00 PM
For sure and some of it may be that i'm pretty detached from the clean up crew. I'm not saying I want things to die, but I guess if a hermit kills a snail then it doesn't bother me. I'm not even sure if they have, I just tend to not pay as much attention to the clean up crew. If they started bothering my coral then I would have big problem and they would probably end up in my sump.

We love our snails haha We always have one or two of the larger species in our tanks and name them and find them fascinating, so there is a bit of emotional involvement with those larger ones. I have dozens of dwarf cerith in there and don't really mind if anything happens to those, but the bigger ones are part of the family :)

I also didn't have a sump at the time that all this went down with the hermits. My only option were to find someone local to take them off my hands or take them out and smash the little sh*&s with a hammer.

mch1984
07-20-2018, 04:07 PM
We love our snails haha We always have one or two of the larger species in our tanks and name them and find them fascinating, so there is a bit of emotional involvement with those larger ones. I have dozens of dwarf cerith in there and don't really mind if anything happens to those, but the bigger ones are part of the family :)

I also didn't have a sump at the time that all this went down with the hermits. My only option were to find someone local to take them off my hands or take them out and smash the little sh*&s with a hammer.

Ha, I can understand that. I have a buddy who has probably the biggest snail I've ever seen, it has to be at least 4" across if not more. I could see being sad if something happen to that guy. I will say the only time I have ever taken something out of my tank and "disposed" of it was peppermint shrimp. I bought 4 of them and they nearly killed two coral. One day I put a plate coral in the tank and all 4 of them were on top of it instantly. I built a trap right then and took them out. I wasn't even going to take the time to find a home for the killer shrimp and didn't have a sump at the time either.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 04:15 PM
The store where I bought the astrea snails had some huge turbo snails. I was tempted to get one, but felt that they probably needed something bigger than a 40B to roam. A snail that big would totally have to have name. I wish I'd taken some pics of them.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Yeah turbos are pretty cool. Way too big for my little setup.

mch1984
07-20-2018, 05:14 PM
The store where I bought the astrea snails had some huge turbo snails. I was tempted to get one, but felt that they probably needed something bigger than a 40B to roam. A snail that big would totally have to have name. I wish I'd taken some pics of them.

I added some turbos to my tank and thought they were all gone because I hadn't seen them in a while. Then this morning there were 5 of them on my overflow chowing down. My buddy has a 265 so the snail has tons of room, I don't think my tank would be big enough for one that size either. I think my favorite snail to watch is the Nassarius. Not sure why, something about them emerging from the sand like the living dead is pretty cool.

mch1984
07-20-2018, 05:15 PM

I added some turbos to my tank and thought they were all gone because I hadn't seen them in a while. Then this morning there were 5 of them on my overflow chowing down. My buddy has a 265 so the snail has tons of room, I don't think my tank would be big enough for one that size either. I think my favorite snail to watch is the Nassarius. Not sure why, something about them emerging from the sand like the living dead is pretty cool.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 05:25 PM
The nassarius are my favorite too. I have some in the 20g that will get transferred when I move the sand. I want to get some more this weekend, if the LFS has them back in stock.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Meh. So many decisions. I hope to work with what's available locally. I'd like to have a community tank. If I ever have corals, they will likely just be softies like mushrooms. I like those a lot. So I guess I need reef safe, just in case.
To start with I have the clownfish pair. I don't really know what to add from there, other than I think I'd like to have a Rainford (court jester) goby or a Hector's goby. I also like the clown goby and neon blue goby. I might like to have a barnacle blenny (mostly because I have a barnacle and my parents had one in their reef tank). I also like the lawnmower blenny and the bicolor blenny. I'm on the fence about getting a cleaner shrimp, because they seem ginormous, but maybe it won't look so big in a 40B as compared to the 20g. More narssarius snails are on the CUC list. I might add some nerite snails if I can find them. Possibly an emerald crab. No hermit crabs.
Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, input... :help:

mch1984
07-20-2018, 06:31 PM
My lawnmower is one of my favorite fish and has a great personality. You might look into doing a goby/pistol shrimp combo. Something like an orange spot goby or a yellow watchmen.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 06:40 PM
I saw a lawnmower blenny and a scooter blenny at the LFS yesterday. I liked them both. I haven't researched the scooter blenny, but it was fun watching him scoot around. I'm trying to decide how many fish to have, I'm thinking 5 would be not too much and not too little. I'd like to have ones that will be out and about and not hiding a lot.

My lawnmower is one of my favorite fish and has a great personality. You might look into doing a goby/pistol shrimp combo. Something like an orange spot goby or a yellow watchmen.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 06:46 PM
The hector's gobies are pretty cool, I wanted one a while back when I first started getting into the salt game. Catalina goby is one of the most beautiful out there, in my opinion. One of my local stores, Southwest Reefs, had one in stock but they wanted $80 for it and that was more than I wanted to spend at the time. Once my current tank has been up and running a few more months and I'm certain all the chemicals from the old silicone are gone, I'm going to ask them to order one for me.

I looked into barnacle blennies in the past but I had run into some old threads/discussions in which people were stating they had a difficult time keeping them alive for long. Lawnmowers are a pretty popular choice. You might always want to take a look at tailspot blennies. They have beautiful coloring and patterns. I had one for a couple days but the tank wasn't covered properly so it went carpet surfing :(

I feel ya on the cleaner shrimp, Rebecca. I see them all the time at my local reef shops and they're just huge. I never ended up getting one because of their size, but I see a lot of folks putting them in the tiny little 13.5 gallon Evos a lot without any issues. I think you'd be fine with one in the 40b.

I love my emeralds. They are so adorable. I was really nervous about getting them because I see posts on FB often of people claiming they eat their corals, but to my understanding there are actually multiple species that look similar and those folks who have issues don't actually have true emeralds. The consensus seems to be that you need to look at the pincers. If they are sharp/pointy, you need to stay away if you think you may get corals. If the pincers have blunt/flat tips, they are reef safe. Mine have the flat tips and they have never harmed my corals. My female used to perch up in my birdsnest coral during the night which made me uneasy as I wasn't sure if she would start trying to eat the polyps, but she never went for anything other than algae and the Crab Cuisine pellets I add for them.

Communities are difficult to do in SW unless the tank is large, because a lot of the fish available need lots of room for both movement and territories. You also have to keep in mind that your clowns may feel the entire tank is theirs and might become hostile to new fish, so your choices may be made for you by them haha

Adding inverts is the way I increased my biodiversity without having to worry about compatible fish. Some options for you, in addition to the ones you've already listed, are:

Sexy/Anemone shrimp - small, non-aggressive shrimp that have interesting patterns and body movement, reef-safe, do well in groups

Rock flower anemones - Matt can vouch for how amazing these are. He's the one who sparked my interest in them months ago. In addition to being beautiful, forgiving, and relatively stationary (for a nem), they provide great homes for sexy shrimp

Cerith snails - You can get dozens of the dwarfs for just a couple of bucks from certain vendors. They tend to stay under half an inch and are great workers in the substrate and in the small nooks and crannies in the rockwork

Porcelain crabs - peaceful filter-feeders with really cool colors/patterns, stay fairly small, you can get multiple ones and they will establish their own territories with one another. I have three of them and each one has claimed their own particular rocks haha

Pom Pom/Boxer/Cheerleader crabs - insanely unique small peaceful crabs that hold onto little micro nems in each claw like little pom poms

Pederson shrimp - can be tricky to find for sale, but are small and beautiful shrimp

Pistol shrimp - if you have a goby, they will pair up and live together in a hole/den. While interesting, this can lead to some potential problems if your other small inverts are curious. If a crab goes to check out the hole, they may get a sonic bullet to the face.

Pretty much all of the animals I list are reef-safe, should you wish to keep that avenue open for the future :)

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 07:02 PM
My goal is to keep my fish purchases at $25 or less per fish. Anything more pricey than that gets marked off the list. Which is why my list is pretty small. lol That catalina goby is gorgeous though. I'll be excited for you when you get to add one to your tank!
I forgot to add cardinal fish. I will probably get one of those. I had a black and white striped one, but it disappeared while we were on vacation in October. I'm guessing it died and the CUC took care of the body. We never found any trace of him.
I'd like to keep hardy fish, so I guess I'll mark the barnacle blenny off the list and add the bicolor blenny. I'm paranoid about carpet surfers, which is why firefish didn't make the list, even though I like them. I do have the top pretty well covered, except for the opening for the AC70.
Thank you for the information on the emerald crab. I'll know what to look for now! And thank you for the additional list of inverts.
I gave a way my 10 gallon tank and now I wish I'd kept it. I could have used it for the QT and left the clowns in the 20g while I quarantined the more timid fish and added them to the 40B before I added the clowns. Now I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that everyone plays nice with each other.

The hector's gobies are pretty cool, I wanted one a while back when I first started getting into the salt game. Catalina goby is one of the most beautiful out there, in my opinion. One of my local stores, Southwest Reefs, had one in stock but they wanted $80 for it and that was more than I wanted to spend at the time. Once my current tank has been up and running a few more months and I'm certain all the chemicals from the old silicone are gone, I'm going to ask them to order one for me.

I looked into barnacle blennies in the past but I had run into some old threads/discussions in which people were stating they had a difficult time keeping them alive for long. Lawnmowers are a pretty popular choice. You might always want to take a look at tailspot blennies. They have beautiful coloring and patterns. I had one for a couple days but the tank wasn't covered properly so it went carpet surfing :(

I feel ya on the cleaner shrimp, Rebecca. I see them all the time at my local reef shops and they're just huge. I never ended up getting one because of their size, but I see a lot of folks putting them in the tiny little 13.5 gallon Evos a lot without any issues. I think you'd be fine with one in the 40b.

I love my emeralds. They are so adorable. I was really nervous about getting them because I see posts on FB often of people claiming they eat their corals, but to my understanding there are actually multiple species that look similar and those folks who have issues don't actually have true emeralds. The consensus seems to be that you need to look at the pincers. If they are sharp/pointy, you need to stay away if you think you may get corals. If the pincers have blunt/flat tips, they are reef safe. Mine have the flat tips and they have never harmed my corals. My female used to perch up in my birdsnest coral during the night which made me uneasy as I wasn't sure if she would start trying to eat the polyps, but she never went for anything other than algae and the Crab Cuisine pellets I add for them.

Communities are difficult to do in SW unless the tank is large, because a lot of the fish available need lots of room for both movement and territories. You also have to keep in mind that your clowns may feel the entire tank is theirs and might become hostile to new fish, so your choices may be made for you by them haha

Adding inverts is the way I increased my biodiversity without having to worry about compatible fish. Some options for you, in addition to the ones you've already listed, are:

Sexy/Anemone shrimp - small, non-aggressive shrimp that have interesting patterns and body movement, reef-safe, do well in groups

Rock flower anemones - Matt can vouch for how amazing these are. He's the one who sparked my interest in them months ago. In addition to being beautiful, forgiving, and relatively stationary (for a nem), they provide great homes for sexy shrimp

Cerith snails - You can get dozens of the dwarfs for just a couple of bucks from certain vendors. They tend to stay under half an inch and are great workers in the substrate and in the small nooks and crannies in the rockwork

Porcelain crabs - peaceful filter-feeders with really cool colors/patterns, stay fairly small, you can get multiple ones and they will establish their own territories with one another. I have three of them and each one has claimed their own particular rocks haha

Pom Pom/Boxer/Cheerleader crabs - insanely unique small peaceful crabs that hold onto little micro nems in each claw like little pom poms

Pederson shrimp - can be tricky to find for sale, but are small and beautiful shrimp

Pistol shrimp - if you have a goby, they will pair up and live together in a hole/den. While interesting, this can lead to some potential problems if your other small inverts are curious. If a crab goes to check out the hole, they may get a sonic bullet to the face.

Pretty much all of the animals I list are reef-safe, should you wish to keep that avenue open for the future :)

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Is this the reef safe emerald crab?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180720/cfdd53fd149d2d7a3edd4a97b26178de.jpg

mch1984
07-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Looks like the emerald to me. Like boof I have had no problems with my emeralds, I have three in my 90 and the each have their area. I say no problems, them or my lawnmower have toppled a couple of frags but that's all. I also second boof on the rock flower anemones, they are pretty cool and the easiest of the anemones to keep. I have a rock that will be dedicated to them and it's front and center in the tank. They can be pricey though, maybe over the $25 mark. I have seen some cheaper than that but it's tough to find. Cleaner shrimp are awesome, I just have a hard time paying that much for a shrimp, maybe that's why I don't have any shrimp in my salt water tank. I think you could find some gobys in that range and they are good guys to have around. You could also look at chromis.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Thank you. There's a mom and pop fish store about an hour and a half away that has those and that's one of their pics. If I decide to get an emerald crab or two, that's probably where I'll go to get them.
I didn't realize the cleaner shrimp were so expensive. I was always so distracted by their size that I never looked at the price. lol I probably won't be getting one of those.
I'll have to look for those rock flower anemones to see if they're available around here and how pricey they are. I know I'll have to upgrade my lighting if I go that route. So that will be a ways down the road.
The chromis come and go off my list. lol I like them, but I kind of feel like they're not different enough to add. If I can only have 4 or 5 fish I want them to be pretty obviously SW fish and not look so much like FW fish. Which is what I think of when I look at the chromis.

Looks like the emerald to me. Like boof I have had no problems with my emeralds, I have three in my 90 and the each have their area. I say no problems, them or my lawnmower have toppled a couple of frags but that's all. I also second boof on the rock flower anemones, they are pretty cool and the easiest of the anemones to keep. I have a rock that will be dedicated to them and it's front and center in the tank. They can be pricey though, maybe over the $25 mark. I have seen some cheaper than that but it's tough to find. Cleaner shrimp are awesome, I just have a hard time paying that much for a shrimp, maybe that's why I don't have any shrimp in my salt water tank. I think you could find some gobys in that range and they are good guys to have around. You could also look at chromis.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Yup, emerald crab. Male.

This is my go-to for flower nems. I've gotten 8 from Jason so far and would like to double those numbers in a month or two. He sells the super striking "ultra" nems that a lot of other vendors/shops have on hand, but he also sells regular ones for only $9.99 each. I've only bought one "ultra" from him and all the rest were obtained by ordering the regular cheap ones and all of them have been beautiful. He also has incredibly fair overnight shipping; flat $29.99 for anything under $150.

He's difficult to get a hold of, though. Order fulfillment is very fast, usually within one business day, but he is out on dives collecting animals most days so if you email or call with questions it is hard to get him.

https://www.mysaltwaterfishstore.com/welcome-to-foxy-saltwater-tropical-fish/ (https://www.mysaltwaterfishstore.com/welcome-to-foxy-saltwater-tropical-fish/)

mch1984
07-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Thanks for posting that link, he has some nice ones. Wish I had the money to get one of the 10 packs.

BluewaterBoof
07-20-2018, 09:25 PM
He's a good guy; Spardas connected me with him after that spat I had with Kush back in Jan/Feb. His prices are really good, since you're essentially buying the items at wholesale/distributor price since there is no middle man. Jason collects all his animals, himself, so they go from the ocean to his QTs to your tank. Cheaper prices and also less stress on the animals since they only go through shipping once as opposed to being shipped to multiple distributors and retailers.

showmebutterfly
07-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Jane and Junior moved into their larger home last night and seem to be settling in well. I've got some of my dad's rock from the reef tanks he had back in the day, that were previously in the 20g, along with some other rock that were also in the 20, and the new rock that the hubs and I worked on together with the stinky epoxy. I think I did pretty good with the aquascape, although I'm not sure about the right side. I may add more rock there, down the road.
Now that the clownfish are moved and the 20 is good to go for a quarantine tank, it must be about time to start thinking about what other fish I want to add. Right?
I'm heading to the not so local FS that's over an hour away to see what they have. I'm mostly looking for CUC, but it's possible that I may come home with new fish. I've brought along a very small cooler, so I won't get too carried away. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/c142adce9e276dc958aef47e4ddd50e4.jpg

BluewaterBoof
07-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Looks great!

Happy hunting!

mch1984
07-21-2018, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks great! Plus it looks like if you do decide to add coral down the road it would lend it's self well to it.

mch1984
07-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Got a great shot of my lawnmower this afternoon, and thought about your tank.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/1cc126c115037f5236c9bb78eace3a4b.jpg

showmebutterfly
07-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Thank you! The hunting was happy, but the driving back with livestock that far was a little stressful for me. Everyone's still alive, so far, and being acclimated.

Looks great!

Happy hunting!

Thank you! I was trying to get lots of levels for just in case. lol

I wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks great! Plus it looks like if you do decide to add coral down the road it would lend it's self well to it.

That is a great shot! He's quite the handsome fellow.

Got a great shot of my lawnmower this afternoon, and thought about your tank.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/1cc126c115037f5236c9bb78eace3a4b.jpg

showmebutterfly
07-21-2018, 08:29 PM
I got a lot of things today while out shopping, plus the Hydor Koralia 565gph circulation pump and mag-float that I ordered from Amazon arrived. It's almost like Christmas here. Except hotter than hell outside. I picked up salt mix and a few other necessaries at Petco, and got a few buckets, a turkey baster and some other items at the Dollar Store.
Then there was the trip to the LFS in Joplin, MO. The place is called Becky's Aquarium Works. The lady who owns it is a straight shooter and seems to know her stuff. I was impressed. She does not like the typical fish store plastic bags and is a fan of recycling. One critter I bought came home with me in a clean Hiland French Onion dip container. The rest came home in one of my Dollar Store buckets that she washed out in her shop sink for me. She seemed to know most of her customers by name. A few came in with their own containers for transporting whatever they purchased. I will definitely do that next time so I have containers that will fit inside whatever cooler I bring for the ride home.
So... what did I get? I got 6 snails- 3 cerith and 3 nassarius. I would have liked more, but her stock on those was low today. I also got an emerald crab and a bicolor blenny. The blenny is in the QT and I'm a little worried that he got too stressed on the trip. The snails and crab are in the 40B and all appear to be fine.
In other news, I've gotten to see some of my old cerith and nassarius snails out and about in the 40B, along with the new astrea snails.

mch1984
07-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Congrats on all the new creatures, keep us updated on how the blenny is doing.

showmebutterfly
07-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Congrats on all the new creatures, keep us updated on how the blenny is doing.Thank you. He's still alive, but just laying on the bottom leaned against the glass. I sent the store owner a message on FB, she said might be from low oxygen and that they're usually pretty easy. I redirected one of the circulation pumps toward the surface to help increase oxygen. I tested the water and everything's good. He was zipping all over the tank at the store. I'm trying to keep the light off and not bother him so he can recouperate, if he can.

showmebutterfly
07-22-2018, 12:23 PM
My little guy is feeling better today. The LFS owner messaged me last night to ask if he was doing any better. He still wasn't doing too great then. I'm very happy that he's perked up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/0c48cc164f564a95ad5b0dda616b3363.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/6db4609004fa8b2305dcabfa026b8365.jpg

mch1984
07-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Always good to see!

showmebutterfly
07-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Always good to see!Yes! I was afraid I would find a dead Blenny this morning. He was laying in the corner, but when I turned on the lights he started moving around. The next time I checked on him he was playing in the rocks. Happy Blenny = happy me.

Boundava
07-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Happy Blenny = happy me.

Lol, I am very happy both of you are happy. That was very nice of the LFS owner to ask about the fish's health.

bpete
07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
great to see your Blenny is doing better. that family is one of my favorite SW fish. sounds like your LFS is a keeper. interesting to hear how she recycles containers.

showmebutterfly
07-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Thank you, Nat. I was a little surprised that she messaged me for a follow up, but I'm glad she did. I let her know Sunday morning that he was doing better and she thanked me for the update.

Lol, I am very happy both of you are happy. That was very nice of the LFS owner to ask about the fish's health.

Thank you, Brian. He's a cute little guy. She had a grown one in her DT at the store, so I got to see how much bigger he'll get. Good customer service goes a long way with me, so I probably will be going back. She asked about my tank setup and maintenance and said she wouldn't sell me anything that she didn't think would work in my tank. She also said the she could order fish for me if she didn't have what I wanted in stock. She seemed very down to earth and took pride in her tanks.

great to see your Blenny is doing better. that family is one of my favorite SW fish. sounds like your LFS is a keeper. interesting to hear how she recycles containers.

showmebutterfly
07-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Ocellaris clownfish pair
Bicolor blenny
Yellow clown goby
Yellow striped cardinalfish and / or Chalk bass
Orange spotted blenny - undecided

I really like the Ranford goby and the Hector goby, but I have read that they often do not do well in captivity and / or need to be in a mature tank. That marks them off the list.
I do not want to overstock, but I would like to have a variety. I'll be stocking slowly. Each fish will be in quarantine at least 4-6 weeks.
I'm still doing research, so this list is always subject to change. I'm mostly looking at nano fish, thinking that will help keep the bioload in check. That may not be right, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

BluewaterBoof
07-23-2018, 09:57 PM
She does not like the typical fish store plastic bags and is a fan of recycling. One critter I bought came home with me in a clean Hiland French Onion dip container.

Interesting.

I'm always getting frustrated when I'm given my animals in the double-bagged, quintupled-rubberbanded crap they send me home with. It's a waste of resources and also makes things a bit more difficult when I'm trying to get all the animals out and in their tupperware for their acclimations and dips.
mch1984 did you see that vendor at the Coral Con that was putting all the frags in urine sample jars? lol Wife and I thought it was both hilarious and brilliant.

BluewaterBoof
07-23-2018, 10:04 PM
I do not want to overstock, but I would like to have a variety. I'll be stocking slowly. Each fish will be in quarantine at least 4-6 weeks.
I'm still doing research, so this list is always subject to change. I'm mostly looking at nano fish, thinking that will help keep the bioload in check. That may not be right, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you'll be ok for bio load with those fish and the size of the tank. Just keep an eye out for aggression as the clowns make consider the whole tank as theirs.

RiversGirl
07-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Great news that your fish is doing better. Sounds like you fixed the situation by redirecting one of your circulation pumps. Nice! Isn't it wonderful when the fix is a simple adjustment? Good on you for taking the seller's comment and implementing a solution.

Congrats too on having a very nice LFS.

mch1984
07-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Interesting.

I'm always getting frustrated when I'm given my animals in the double-bagged, quintupled-rubberbanded crap they send me home with. It's a waste of resources and also makes things a bit more difficult when I'm trying to get all the animals out and in their tupperware for their acclimations and dips.
mch1984 did you see that vendor at the Coral Con that was putting all the frags in urine sample jars? lol Wife and I thought it was both hilarious and brilliant.

I buy those sample cups 25 at a time from amazon. Everybody around here uses them.

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 01:43 AM
Those rubberbands are the worst! I hate trying to get those dang things undone.
I can see where those urine sample jars would be the right size for frags and the screw top lid would be convenient to open and close. Plus they're made to not spill. lol
Interesting.

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 01:46 AM
I am hoping they will play nice with the new fish. Do you use the isolation box or whatever they're called when you introduce new fish?
I think you'll be ok for bio load with those fish and the size of the tank. Just keep an eye out for aggression as the clowns make consider the whole tank as theirs.

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 01:48 AM
Thank you. I'm glad the owner had a good idea of what was wrong and that it was an easy fix. That was indeed wonderful.
Great news that your fish is doing better. Sounds like you fixed the situation by redirecting one of your circulation pumps. Nice! Isn't it wonderful when the fix is a simple adjustment? Good on you for taking the seller's comment and implementing a solution.

Congrats too on having a very nice LFS.

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 01:59 PM
I was able to get a pic of the emerald crab last night. He comes out of hiding at feeding time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/9c4ab714dea7b0ff9dc10612c20f9c75.jpg

RiversGirl
07-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Cool crab! Thanks for sharing a photo of him.

Slaphppy7
07-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Neat little crab, about how big is he?

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 03:16 PM
He's a cute little guy. lol

Cool crab! Thanks for sharing a photo of him.

His body is about the size of a nickel, overall he's about quarter sized or so. These stay small so he won't be getting much bigger.

Neat little crab, about how big is he?

mch1984
07-24-2018, 03:24 PM
The emerald's are a lot of fun, i have one that is a pain. I have a chalice that want to avoid gluing to the rock work. The crab like to pop out of the hole i have the plug in and knock the chalice out. Other than that they are great critters to have.

RiversGirl
07-24-2018, 03:28 PM
I hope you often find yourself smiling and watching this tank. Your cutie must be a treat to watch, just going about his business.

BluewaterBoof
07-24-2018, 03:43 PM
They're great little critters, for sure. Mine love these:

I'll give them a few each week. Sometimes I'll hold one of the pellets with my long aquascaping tweezers and have a little tug of war with the crabs. They're surprisingly strong. I like how they will hunker down and just nibble on the pellets. Takes them like 5-10 minutes to finish one haha

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 05:07 PM
That's kind of funny about him knocking out the plug. I'm sure it's annoying for you, but he's probably just as annoyed. After all, he does have to keep knocking it out every time you put it back. lol

The emerald's are a lot of fun, i have one that is a pain. I have a chalice that want to avoid gluing to the rock work. The crab like to pop out of the hole i have the plug in and knock the chalice out. Other than that they are great critters to have.

I do smile a lot watching the tank. I need to get a video of the crab shoving food in his face with his pincers. lol

I hope you often find yourself smiling and watching this tank. Your cutie must be a treat to watch, just going about his business.

The LFS owner sold me the Omega One kelp pellets for the crab, and he sure comes scurrying out from wherever he's been when I drop a few in the tank. lol Since variety is always good and I'm sure different companies have slightly different formulas and ingredients, I'll have to look for the those to add to his diet. Thank you for the recommendation.

They're great little critters, for sure. Mine love these:

I'll give them a few each week. Sometimes I'll hold one of the pellets with my long aquascaping tweezers and have a little tug of war with the crabs. They're surprisingly strong. I like how they will hunker down and just nibble on the pellets. Takes them like 5-10 minutes to finish one haha

BluewaterBoof
07-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Variety is always good :) I don't feed the crabs pellets often; I like to keep them a little hungry so that they are constantly cleaning the tank. I had a small issue with hair algae and bubble algae earlier this year when I still had everything in my little Evo tank and got the two crabs to help clean it up. Every once in a while I'll see a random bubble or hair in the tank, but it's gone within a day or so.

I had them in the tank for less than a few hours and they were already ripping out the little spots of hair on some of my rocks haha

https://youtu.be/lBN7YyEo7ZI

showmebutterfly
07-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Love the video! The way they feed themselves reminds me of how my grandson eats mac & cheese. Gotta use both hands! lol

Variety is always good :) I don't feed the crabs pellets often; I like to keep them a little hungry so that they are constantly cleaning the tank. I had a small issue with hair algae and bubble algae earlier this year when I still had everything in my little Evo tank and got the two crabs to help clean it up. Every once in a while I'll see a random bubble or hair in the tank, but it's gone within a day or so.

I had them in the tank for less than a few hours and they were already ripping out the little spots of hair on some of my rocks haha

BluewaterBoof
07-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Can't wait to see some vids of your little fella!

Yes, my little boy cracks up when he watches the emeralds. They're cute little critters. When I first looked at them in the bags when I got home from the local reef shop, I felt a tinge of revulsion, but once they were in the tank and scurrying around I quickly developed a fondness for them.

showmebutterfly
07-25-2018, 01:46 PM
My little bicolor blenny seemed to be settling in and doing well. He looks healthy, but last night I decided to dose the QT with Prazipro to get rid of any hidden parasites he might have. This morning I found him sitting on the heater and looking very pale. BTW, they have white stripes when the go pale. It's a bit disconcerting. He had been sleeping in the rocks, so I was concerned when I saw him lounging on the heater. He did perk up a bit once the lights were on. I put in a little food and he colored up, began swimming around and went back to his hidey holes in the rock. I don't think I'll be doing the 2nd dose of prazipro. Maybe I read too many quarantine articles and should just watch and observe without any dosing or other interference, unless I actually see a problem. I'm trying to do right by the little guy and make sure he's healthy before he's added to the DT. He's so little and cute and we had a rough start when he first got here. They're supposed to be hardy, but I'm worried I'll somehow hurt him with trying to follow all the dang QT recommendations. Also, I don't think he likes being in the dark, but I don't have moonlights on the QT (that may change - Good excuse to break down and get a better light for the hub's jungle tank so I can steal that old light for the QT?) and I can't leave the 50/50 lights on 24/7. Ugh. Somebody tell me he's ok and to stop being a worry wart!

BluewaterBoof
07-25-2018, 05:09 PM
You can grab yourself one of these to use as a moonlight at night. I had one for a long time on a 55g that had a Stingray fixture (no moonlight mode). Worked well and is super cheap at only $6 + free shipping. It's pretty small - only 4" long - so it's perfect for adding a little glow to a tank at night.

Moonlight LED Strip (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-BLUE-MOON-Light-6-LEDs-Strip-30-Lumens-Power-Nano-cube-fish-Lunar-/281368921154)

As for your little fella's behavior and QT situation, I think he's fine, just adjusting to a new environment. As for the issue with the Prazipro, it is known to cause moderate O2 depletion in the water and it is a good idea to increase surface agitation for gas exchange when dosing. Given that there was the question of adequate oxygenation a few days ago when you first got him, I am wondering if the Prazi caused a similar issue.

Prazi is only effective for the first couple of days, so I would perform a water change tomorrow if he continues to look under the weather. I would also add an air stone to add some additional surface agitation to help keep the oxygen levels up. What temp is the water at? Higher temps = less dissolved oxygen. If your house temps are high and preventing the tank from cooling off, that may also be contributing to the issue.

You said he perked up a bit after you added some food to the tank. Did he actually eat what you put in there? As long as he's eating I wouldn't worry too much, but if he isn't showing interest in food then you have a reason for more concern.

showmebutterfly
07-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Thank you for helping me troubleshoot and for the light recommendation. I ordered a Current USA Satellite LED for the hub's jungle tank. On his dime. :19: He's been commenting, repeatedly, about how the moonlights on my 40B are so much brighter than the ones on his jungle tank. So he'll get a better light and I'll put the cheaper light on the QT. I'll keep the light with the 50/50 bulbs on it for daytime use and just use the other fixture for its moonlight feature.
I'll do a water change tomorrow, unless he still looks stressed tonight, in which case I'll be doing it today. Do you think I should also add some carbon in the filter to help get the rest of the prazi out?
We keep our house temp around 75 in the summer. The water temp is 78. I've got one of the powerheads aimed at the surface, as well as the overflow from the AC70 helping to get oxygen into the water. I can add an air stone too. Is there any danger in having too much oxygen in the water?
He is all about the food and he is actually eating it. I've been watching to make sure he doesn't just spit it out. I'm having to be careful to not overfeed since he does seem to really enjoy eating. lol I was wondering about buying some seaweed to hang on the side of the tank for him to nibble on? I've never used any of the seaweed type products.

You can grab yourself one of these to use as a moonlight at night. I had one for a long time on a 55g that had a Stingray fixture (no moonlight mode). Worked well and is super cheap at only $6 + free shipping. It's pretty small - only 4" long - so it's perfect for adding a little glow to a tank at night.

Moonlight LED Strip (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-BLUE-MOON-Light-6-LEDs-Strip-30-Lumens-Power-Nano-cube-fish-Lunar-/281368921154)

As for your little fella's behavior and QT situation, I think he's fine, just adjusting to a new environment. As for the issue with the Prazipro, it is known to cause moderate O2 depletion in the water and it is a good idea to increase surface agitation for gas exchange when dosing. Given that there was the question of adequate oxygenation a few days ago when you first got him, I am wondering if the Prazi caused a similar issue.

Prazi is only effective for the first couple of days, so I would perform a water change tomorrow if he continues to look under the weather. I would also add an air stone to add some additional surface agitation to help keep the oxygen levels up. What temp is the water at? Higher temps = less dissolved oxygen. If your house temps are high and preventing the tank from cooling off, that may also be contributing to the issue.

You said he perked up a bit after you added some food to the tank. Did he actually eat what you put in there? As long as he's eating I wouldn't worry too much, but if he isn't showing interest in food then you have a reason for more concern.

BluewaterBoof
07-25-2018, 07:43 PM
The nori sheets are hugely popular in the saltwater groups. Some folks like to alternate between the red and greens and put them in the tanks using the suction cup clips.

It sounds like he's got a good appetite, so I wouldn't worry. The first week or so of having a new fish are always a bit nerve-racking, but I think you'll be ok. You can certainly add the carbon to the tank, there won't be any harm done by it.

As for having too much oxygen, that shouldn't be an issue. At standard temps and pressure, the water will only reach a certain level of O2 and then it will hit equilibrium. Once equilibrium with the atmosphere is attained, no more oxygen can be absorbed.

angelcraze2
07-25-2018, 07:53 PM
I feed my fish red and green seaweed too. Probably not their thing, but I bought it a while ago not knowing it was for saltwater fish :doh:

showmebutterfly
07-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Thank you once again for your help!
I may get him some nori sheets so he'll have something to nibble on if he gets hungry. I know I like to stress eat, maybe he does too. (blush)
I'll add the air stone tonight too to see if that helps.

The nori sheets are hugely popular in the saltwater groups. Some folks like to alternate between the red and greens and put them in the tanks using the suction cup clips.

It sounds like he's got a good appetite, so I wouldn't worry. The first week or so of having a new fish are always a bit nerve-racking, but I think you'll be ok. You can certainly add the carbon to the tank, there won't be any harm done by it.

As for having too much oxygen, that shouldn't be an issue. At standard temps and pressure, the water will only reach a certain level of O2 and then it will hit equilibrium. Once equilibrium with the atmosphere is attained, no more oxygen can be absorbed.

BluewaterBoof
07-25-2018, 07:58 PM
The "sea" in seaweed didn't tip you off? :hmm3grin2orange: :14:

Just had to tease you a little bit, especially since you thought my crab was a rock :)

angelcraze2
07-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Yeah lol, that's fine hahaha. I was brand new when I bought it, I didn't think it was *strictly* saltwater I should say. Anyway, I think my inverts eat it at least. I always told you I know next to nothing about SW :hmm3grin2orange:

BluewaterBoof
07-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Don't get me started on things bought when new to the hobby. I had a whole box full of foods, plastic decor, and other useless crap that I never used again but couldn't bring myself to throwing away because of all the money I spent on the stuff. Held onto it for years until this last weekend when we decided to clean out the house and take a bunch of stuff to Goodwill and the dump.

angelcraze2
07-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Lol, oh yeah! I did that too, buying the useless crap that is, I have yet to get rid of it all!

showmebutterfly
07-26-2018, 01:41 PM
I've been attempting to get rid of stuff. Some I'm trying to sell, some I've given away. With us taking the 4 ft. stand out of the dining room that's a lot of storage space I'm losing for my fishy supplies.

BluewaterBoof My little blenny was colored up and on the rocks this morning. It's the first time he hasn't had stress stripes showing in the morning! I'm guessing that your suggestion for increasing the oxygen circulation is what's done the trick. Thank you so much!

angelcraze2
07-26-2018, 03:59 PM
That's great the increased oxygen helped!

Boundava
07-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Agree, so glad Mr. Blenney is doing well!

BluewaterBoof
07-26-2018, 04:41 PM
I'm glad he's doing better :) I bet that took a bit of weight off your shoulders thumbs2:

showmebutterfly
07-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Thank you all! The advice, information and shared knowledge on this forum is what makes it possible for our aquariums to thrive. I'm so grateful for our wonderful group of fish flakes! :grouphug:

angelcraze2
07-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Hahaha! Agree, I love it! My hubby is continuously teasing me, calling me a fish geek, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I take it as a compliment actually. Good advice Boof!

showmebutterfly
07-27-2018, 01:42 AM
I managed to get a quick video of our emerald crab while he was out looking for vittles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ifFVIY3QE

showmebutterfly
07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
I was talking to the hubs last night and mentioned that I might be wanting a sort of expensive LED reef light for Christmas, since I'd need it if I decide to try keeping some corals. After we both finished doing our best Rick Grimes impression of yelling Carl / Coral, he said, you know you could just get the artificial corals like they use on Tanked. :doh: That show is a menace.

Slaphppy7
07-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Neat vid of the crab

RiversGirl
07-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Yes, it was fun to watch your emerald crab foraging. Thanks for sharing.

bpete
07-27-2018, 04:35 PM
very nice entertaining video. those inverts are fun to watch.

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Lighting was the biggest issue for me to overcome because a lot of the popular options out there are so expensive.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many different species of corals, with many different requirements. If you feel that you will not be able to work a big expensive lighting fixture into you budget, there are plenty of corals that don't require lots of light to flourish. If you let me know what kind of budget you think your hubby will allow, I can help out with some suggestions for the cheaper light options.

Corals that can do well in low-light applications:

Euphyllia, such as frogspawn and hammers, are great additions as they have long flowing tentacles that come is a variety of colors and textures.

Frogspawn

Zoanthids are fairly undemanding and it is easy to get multiple color variants and have a zoa garden.

Mushroom corals are also very popular and come in a wide variety of colors and textures

Leather corals, such as the toadstool. These can grow fairly large and do not need much to survive. They are actually quite hard to kill haha

Pulsing xenia is really interesting and easy to keep. You'll need to watch videos of it in order to appreciate it.

Star polyps are another type that are pretty interesting and easy to care for.

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2018, 06:51 PM
The crab was so cute! I love how they are just constantly picking with both claws and shoving noms into their faces haha

showmebutterfly
07-28-2018, 07:54 PM
I'd like to keep lighting under $200. I can't have anything that would need to hang from the ceiling and I don't think I'd want the kind that clamp onto the back of the tank. I know that will limit my options.

This is what I currently have on the tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTEVS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532806184&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=current+usa+led&psc=1

This is what I would like to add:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTQDQK/?coliid=I2JKHYBJTQ39AG&colid=1H3UEI0FJ6ELL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I am going to try keeping macro algae and have spoken to the LFS about ordering some red bush algae for me. It is unlikely that I will ever want to frag anything, so I'll either be looking at slow growing corals or things that I won't mind taking over my entire tank. lol I think the mushroom corals are my favorite, but I do like all the other ones you listed too. I may eventually have a pico tank for the pulsing xenia, since I've heard that can be almost invasive.

Lighting was the biggest issue for me to overcome because a lot of the popular options out there are so expensive.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many different species of corals, with many different requirements. If you feel that you will not be able to work a big expensive lighting fixture into you budget, there are plenty of corals that don't require lots of light to flourish. If you let me know what kind of budget you think your hubby will allow, I can help out with some suggestions for the cheaper light options.

showmebutterfly
07-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Thank you all! I'm glad I was able to catch him out in the open and showing off.

Neat vid of the crab

Yes, it was fun to watch your emerald crab foraging. Thanks for sharing.

very nice entertaining video. those inverts are fun to watch.

The crab was so cute! I love how they are just constantly picking with both claws and shoving noms into their faces haha

showmebutterfly
07-28-2018, 09:24 PM
While visiting my mom this weekend, I dug out a few more of dad's books. These will go home with me to be added to my growing collection.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180728/8e60b07d395a51682aed2f68167a53ca.jpg

RiversGirl
07-29-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm really glad for you that you've found these, and that they are now at your fingertips. Your dad is surely with you in your heart as you continue enjoying this hobby. Wishing you many good moments of reading.

showmebutterfly
07-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Thank you, RG! It's interesting reading the information that my dad had available to him and to see what has changed and what has stayed the same.

I'm really glad for you that you've found these, and that they are now at your fingertips. Your dad is surely with you in your heart as you continue enjoying this hobby. Wishing you many good moments of reading.

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 01:48 AM
My mom dug out these pictures for me and the hubs helped me scan them onto the computer. These were all the pics she could find from dad's foray into reef keeping. All 3 of these tanks were up and running at the same time. All had undergravel filters. And they were all set up in the living room. It's a wonder my mom didn't kill him. I'm sure there was a lot of heavy sighing and head shaking. lol

Cube tank #1

Cube tank #2

55 gallon tank

One of those cube tanks is now the hub's jungle tank. I don't know what ever happened to the 2nd cube tank. The last time I saw it, it was in my sister's garage, but I know she no longer has it.
And one of the light fixtures from the 55g is currently in use on my 20g brackish tank.

BluewaterBoof
07-31-2018, 03:28 AM
Such amazing finds. So fortunate to be able to have that link to his past, reading the same words and essentially sharing the same thoughts as the two of you each read through the books. I’ve come across, and cherish, some things like that from loved ones and was always moved fairly deeply by them. I can only imagine what it is like finding your father’s books and photos.

It’s also a treat that they’re books. Good old fashioned paperback books with that distinctive aroma of decades-old paper. :)

Boundava
07-31-2018, 04:35 AM
What a neat find, so precious to have the photos of your Dad's tanks. Lots of beautiful fish in all 3. Thank you for sharing them with us.

bpete
07-31-2018, 11:44 AM
great find. the pictures of the tanks are very interesting. I have seen the pinkish Dr Burgess book before. the older books are fascinating to read and compare.

showmebutterfly
08-01-2018, 04:07 PM
I have requested that our esteemed mod, Matt, aka Slaphppy7, change the name of this journal. It's pretty much a given at this point that I'll be adding some macro algae and soft corals to my setup. A few LPS corals may end up in there as well. Since those additions will transform my tank from a FOWLR to a reef, and my end goal is for it to look like a colorful garden, it's time to make the change.

I will be keeping it frugal and won't be adding a new light any time soon. If I can grow the macro algae and corals that I like without having to upgrade, why spend the money? Time will tell if I will need better lighting than what I currently have and / or if I want to try keeping more advanced corals. My goal is to start small with easy to keep corals and see where I want to go from there.

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 05:32 PM
You won't regret it :) Corals are absolutely fascinating!

If I may toss out some ideas for beginning animals?

Duncans (LPS) - These guys are easy to keep and are a blast to feed as they will grab the food with their tentacles and shove it in their mouths

Micromussa lordhowensis (LPS) - Most hobbyists and shops still refer to these as acan lords as they were only recently reclassified as micromussa

Zoanthids (softies) - Tiny, but will spread nicely over rockwork

Euphyllia (LPS) - These are your big tentacle corals; hammers, frogspawn, torches, and grapes

Leather toadstool (softie) - Almost impossible to kill. I removed one a while back and there was just a tiny little piece of the base - about half the size of a pea - that I left attached to the rock and it is already growing a new toadstool.

Mushrooms (softies) - Lots of variety here with many different colors and textures, and they propagate quickly

With the exception of the mushrooms (I don't have any), I have kept all of those listed above under the stock light that came with my Fluval Evo all-in-one tank. That light is probably as basic as they get, so I don't imagine you having too many issues with whatever you have at the moment. Stick with the cheap frags for now so that you're not too invested in them in the event that one of them doesn't do well. As you get more comfortable with corals you can start experimenting with the fancier more expensive varieties.

A word on some softies. Cloves, stars, and xenia are all interesting and require very little TLC to thrive, but a lot of folks consider them aggressive and invasive as they can quickly spread over a tank. Some people like that about them, and I've seen some pretty impressive tanks that look really cool with "carpets" of GSP or xenia, but just be aware that they can become problematic. I have seen tanks in which folks will intentionally keep a rock with clove corals isolated away from the other rockwork to minimize the chances of the cloves spreading to other areas, which appears to be an effective practice.

Mushrooms, I've been told, can also become a bit of a nuisance to a certain degree, which is why I have yet to try them. In a larger tank like yours, it would probably be a very long time before you have to worry about overcrowding, but in my little 20long the real estate is pretty limited so I am careful in what species I stock.

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I also want to add that the frogspawn and toadstool are some corals that clowns will sometimes pair up with, so you might have some interesting interactions between your clowns and those.

In regards to your current lighting, what type/brand of light is it? Does is have a blue channel, or is it more of a full spectrum light like the ones on freshwater tanks?

mch1984
08-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Boof gave some great recommendations on starter corals, and ones that can be a little easier to keep. My toadstool is my only softy in the tank, other than zoas. It was a free frag and just a plain light pink color, but it is one of my favorite corals in the tank. something about them that makes them fun. I've seen some tanks taken over by mushrooms and truth be told it was kind of neat. I have done some research on them and found out that ricordia and yuma don't tend to be as quickly spread. With that being said, some of those are some of the most expensive coral I've seen. The bounce shrooms and some of the ultra yumas can be insanely priced. I'm hoping to pick one up when I go to florida, but I refuse to pay for one of the high end ones if I do.

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 06:44 PM
C'mon Matt! You telling me you're not going to drop $400 on a single bounce (https://www.tidalgardens.com/wysiwyg-biohazard-bounce-mushroom.html)???

showmebutterfly
08-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the coral recommendations. Almost of all of those are on my want list. thumbs2:

My lighting is a 36" Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus. It has several color settings, including blue.
Here's some of their product blurb:
Super bright 6500K White LEDs are paired with full-spectrum RGB LEDs to offer every color under the sun (and a few that aren’t) all controlled from a single 32-key customizable remote. The Satellite LED+ features effects that you’ll have to see to believe, plus each color is individually adjustable for endless custom color blends. Features include: 6, freshwater-optimized, color pre-sets 12, dynamic effects including: cloud cover, fading lunar, storm, lightning, dusk and more 4, memory buttons for saving custom color blends Pause/play each mode on-demand. Low voltage, super safe LEDs Low, 12V DC, IP65 rated LEDs making them super safe for aquarium use. 120 degree dispersion angle for optimal spread and color blending. Drawing on our years of expertise in both fresh and marine aquarium product development we have created another industry first – a full-spectrum, wireless remote controlled, customizable fixture that was engineered from the ground up for freshwater aquarium environments. Making it the perfect choice for a beginner setting up their first tank, or a seasoned veteran looking for a significant upgrade.

I also want to add that the frogspawn and toadstool are some corals that clowns will sometimes pair up with, so you might have some interesting interactions between your clowns and those.

In regards to your current lighting, what type/brand of light is it? Does is have a blue channel, or is it more of a full spectrum light like the ones on freshwater tanks?

showmebutterfly
08-01-2018, 07:01 PM
I saw a pic of an all mushroom tank and also one where pulsing xenia was allowed to run rampant. I liked them both. I may eventually set up one of my 20g as a 'wild' tank and let one of those corals, or perhaps some GSP, just go nuts.
Looking online at corals I've seen some crazy expensive prices. No thanks. I'll buy off the sale racks and bargain bins. lol I hope you are able to find some nice coral when you take your trip.

Boof gave some great recommendations on starter corals, and ones that can be a little easier to keep. My toadstool is my only softy in the tank, other than zoas. It was a free frag and just a plain light pink color, but it is one of my favorite corals in the tank. something about them that makes them fun. I've seen some tanks taken over by mushrooms and truth be told it was kind of neat. I have done some research on them and found out that ricordia and yuma don't tend to be as quickly spread. With that being said, some of those are some of the most expensive coral I've seen. The bounce shrooms and some of the ultra yumas can be insanely priced. I'm hoping to pick one up when I go to florida, but I refuse to pay for one of the high end ones if I do.

mch1984
08-01-2018, 07:03 PM
C'mon Matt! You telling me you're not going to drop $400 on a single bounce (https://www.tidalgardens.com/wysiwyg-biohazard-bounce-mushroom.html)???

Ha, not sir I will not.

showmebutterfly
08-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Pulsing xenia

Mushrooms

mch1984
08-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the coral recommendations. Almost of all of those are on my want list. thumbs2:

My lighting is a 36" Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus. It has several color settings, including blue.
Here's some of their product blurb:
Super bright 6500K White LEDs are paired with full-spectrum RGB LEDs to offer every color under the sun (and a few that aren’t) all controlled from a single 32-key customizable remote. The Satellite LED+ features effects that you’ll have to see to believe, plus each color is individually adjustable for endless custom color blends. Features include: 6, freshwater-optimized, color pre-sets 12, dynamic effects including: cloud cover, fading lunar, storm, lightning, dusk and more 4, memory buttons for saving custom color blends Pause/play each mode on-demand. Low voltage, super safe LEDs Low, 12V DC, IP65 rated LEDs making them super safe for aquarium use. 120 degree dispersion angle for optimal spread and color blending. Drawing on our years of expertise in both fresh and marine aquarium product development we have created another industry first – a full-spectrum, wireless remote controlled, customizable fixture that was engineered from the ground up for freshwater aquarium environments. Making it the perfect choice for a beginner setting up their first tank, or a seasoned veteran looking for a significant upgrade.

I think you'll want to upgrade lights even if you are growing coral. the coral just looks better under the blues. I'm not saying you have to spend stupid amounts of money, but a reef light will help with the color of the coral.

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Yeah, the specific blue wavelengths on the reef lights causes the corals to fluoresce and give off their crazy neon colors. I'll take some comparison photos of my tank when I get home to show you how differently the corals look between normal lights and reef blues.

I know you had mentioned picking up that Current Orbit Marine. You shouldn't have issues with softies and LPS with that light, but just know that there are better options out there for similar (and sometimes less) money. You stated you didn't want a hanging light or one that clips onto the tank, but you're drastically limiting yourself by excluding those from your plans. For ~$140ish, you can pick up one of these babies (https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/1-sbox-basic.html). You'll need to do a little DIY on the mounting legs to get them to reach the rim of your tank, or just have it resting on your lid, but these lights pack a powerful punch and come with a 2 year warranty.

mch1984
08-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I agree with boof on limiting yourself on lights not hanging. A lot of the Chinese black boxes can grow some great coral but most are hanging lights. Look up some diy stuff for hanging them. I have seen some great looking methods of hanging them with out hanging them from the ceiling.

showmebutterfly
08-01-2018, 08:29 PM
For this tank, since it's in our living room, I want to keep the light low profile. I may look into hanging lights if I decide to put a tank in the bedroom when we do our master bedroom addition. I only found out last night that having a tank in there could be an option. The hubs had said at one time that I couldn't have a tank in our bedroom, but apparently he's changed his mind. I have a stand that will fit a 75/90 gallon tank and I was teasing him about how it could fit a 90g, but I was willing to sacrifice and just have the 75g. I doubt I'll get to upgrade to that big of a tank, but I might be able to talk him into letting me get a 40 long or a 55. We'll see.
Would it be wrong to get a 75 and tell him it's a 55? :devil:

BluewaterBoof
08-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Are either you or your hubby experienced with a little bit of carpentry? You could make a simple open-top canopy that goes around the rim of the tank that can block the light spillage from a raised fixture. As Matt pointed out, there are a lot of nifty ways people suspend those black boxes without needing to hang them from ceilings. Here is one of the common methods:

As for bigger tanks, know that with saltwater the costs of the setups grow exponentially :(

BluewaterBoof
08-02-2018, 01:49 AM
Wow, it’s been so long since I’ve ran straight whites in the tank I forgot how hideous it was haha

So here are three different shots. One all blues and UV, one strictly white, and one that is a mix of the two.

You can also choose different amounts of each

I have two $60 Hipargero lights, which are far from fancy. Most of the more expensive lights have better spectrums and ramping + WiFi controls. One of these days I would like to upgrade but for now these have been serving me well. I recently took a shot with some montipora and acropora frags and they are doing just fine.

BluewaterBoof
08-02-2018, 01:57 AM
Closeups under full lights arenít as flattering haha

showmebutterfly
08-02-2018, 02:51 AM
Thank you for sharing the pics! I much prefer the look of the mixed blue and white lighting. I don't mind the look of the straight white and actually prefer that to the straight blue lighting. It may not show the corals to their best advantage, but I enjoy watching the fish and I can't see them as well in the blue light. I'm an odd duck, I know.

showmebutterfly
08-02-2018, 02:55 AM
Closeups under full lights arenít as flattering haha

56029That bottom pic is gorgeous. I love the mix of colors.

BluewaterBoof
08-02-2018, 03:26 AM
Oh wow haha maybe it’s because I’m colorblind but anything with the whites looks hideous to me hahahaha

angelcraze2
08-02-2018, 04:12 PM
It must be because your colour blind, I agree, that bottom pic is gorgeous!

showmebutterfly
08-03-2018, 02:21 PM
So.... my 40B SW tank has been set up for less than a month = not a mature tank.

But... over half of the live rock, water and sand bed were moved from the 20g SW tank that had been up and running almost 3 years = mature tank?

The distinction matters for coral and fish selections. What say you, my fish flake sisters and brethren?

Boundava
08-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Interested to see what the salty side says on this. As a freshie I would think to wait another month or two, but I have zero to base this on, :doh:.

BluewaterBoof
08-03-2018, 04:26 PM
It's still a new tank, you've just seeded it well with live rock and sand :)

Nat is correct; it will be a few months before the tank matures and every nook and cranny is filled with critters.

showmebutterfly
08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Well, that will save me some money then. No additions for the SW tank this weekend. Maybe the hubs' jungle tank will get a few more neons.

BluewaterBoof
08-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Hahaha what were you thinking of getting? Just because a tank isn't necessarily mature doesn't mean you can't put anything new in it. :14:

You're talking to a guy who moved everything over to a newly set up tank back in June without any issues. I even went to a coral convention and bought like 5 new corals the next day. :hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
08-03-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm debating whether or not to get a hammer coral and maybe a few mushrooms. The bicolor blenny has taken to a particular rock in the QT and I'm thinking if I add the blenny, his rock and a fluffy hammer coral to the 40B at the same time, the coral might distract the clowns enough to not bother the blenny. That's probably wishful thinking on my part.
Hahaha what were you thinking of getting? Just because a tank isn't necessarily mature doesn't mean you can't put anything new in it. :14:

You're talking to a guy who moved everything over to a newly set up tank back in June without any issues. I even went to a coral convention and bought like 5 new corals the next day. :hmm3grin2orange:

BluewaterBoof
08-03-2018, 07:34 PM
It might work. My clown completely ignores my hammer and frogspawn, but I've heard people claim that they've had some luck with clowns pairing up with euphyllia. Mine literally prefers to stay in a small pit he dug for himself in the substrate right next to the hammer :tappingfoot:

For location, I suggest putting the hammer in a spot that is fairly close to the light (so upper portion of the tank) and away from direct current. Some folks, including myself, have a difficult time getting our hammers to accept food, so if this turns out to be the same for you it will be important that it is getting a good amount of light. Mine also tolerates a bit of direct current, but they definitely prefer gently water flow.

mch1984
08-04-2018, 02:19 PM
I think with the amount of live rock you put in your fine. Tank may not be mature but that doesnít mean itís not healthy. Quick question, did you treat the QT tank with anything? If you treated with anything copper based you wonít want to put that rock in the 40b.

showmebutterfly
08-04-2018, 08:14 PM
I only treated with a single dose of prazipro, no copper or other meds. There are 3 rocks in the QT and while I don't really want to put all of them in the 40B, there are mini brittle stars living in them, so that's where they'll end up. Unless I give into my idea of buying a 5.5g tank. I'm trying to resist, since I'm supposed to be eliminating tanks, not collecting more. [emoji12]
I think with the amount of live rock you put in your fine. Tank may not be mature but that doesnít mean itís not healthy. Quick question, did you treat the QT tank with anything? If you treated with anything copper based you wonít want to put that rock in the 40b.

showmebutterfly
08-04-2018, 08:20 PM
These little guys were both tempting me to buy them today, but I managed to walk away. The flame cardinal may end up coming home with me in a few weeks, if they still have him. I don't think I would be able to add the striped blenny, since I already have the bicolor blenny, but I'll do some research on that. He certainly was being an active little showoff.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/99a15f8c15452a04fa874739da510a89.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/5927fc5f21cdd07cbabe7ffaa4bb6db1.jpg

showmebutterfly
08-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Apparently that striped blenny is aka striped poison fang blenny. So glad I resisted temptation. lol He wouldn't have been compatible with my bicolor blenny and I sure wouldn't want mine to get fanged.
WC completed on 40B DT and 20g QT. I have seriously got to get a motorized pump to help me get the new water into the tanks. Gravity helps with taking the water out. Not so much with putting it back in. [emoji30] My poor old flabby arms are wore out.
I moved the smallest rock from the QT to the DT while I was doing the WC. My blenny hasn't been playing around it, so I figured he wouldn't mind.

showmebutterfly
08-08-2018, 12:54 AM
First pic - is that spot on his side something to be concerned about? I tried to get a better pic, but that's the best I could get of it. He's out and swimming more and eating well.
Second pic - just because he's so cute.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/719c19912d5fcda2c88e999c7dfc239a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/d16fbf61e50dc34f2987ed314e138df4.jpg

BluewaterBoof
08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm, hard to tell but it looks kind of like an injury/scrape. I'd definitely keep an eye on it.

Using a small pump for the water changes is a definite upgrade. I did my WCs by hand in my saltwater tank for a few months and feel your pain. I tossed a small powerhead with some nylon tubing into my bucket and there was like a heavenly choir singing from above the first time I refilled using it. Haven't gone back. Your arms and back will love you once you make the change.

The first pump I used worked for the job but it was a tiny little Rio180 and even little 5gal refills took ages. I have since switched to this 550gph pump (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V2LX9H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I attach my Python water changer to it using the 3/4" nozzle that the pump comes with and refilling a 50% WC in my 20long takes a minute, at most. thumbs2:

Taurus
08-08-2018, 04:28 PM
While visiting my mom this weekend, I dug out a few more of dad's books. These will go home with me to be added to my growing collection.

Well look at that, somebody actually bought the book before they bought the fish, coral ect. ... thumbs2:

showmebutterfly
08-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Hmmmm, hard to tell but it looks kind of like an injury/scrape. I'd definitely keep an eye on it. I have since switched to this 550gph pump (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V2LX9H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I attach my Python water changer to it using the 3/4" nozzle that the pump comes with and refilling a 50% WC in my 20long takes a minute, at most. thumbs2:

The spot looked a little less noticeable this morning. I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the little guy. I'm pretty certain that he's sick of me staring at him all the time. lol
I ordered this pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMXLFV3/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 on Monday and it's supposed to be arriving today. The 740 GPH is probably overkill, but it says it's adjustable. I'll have to be careful not to spray water all over the house if the tubing tries to get away from me. I do my WC when the hubs isn't home so he won't see how big a mess I make.

showmebutterfly
08-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Hopefully he was at least doing some power reading while the tanks were cycling. I've been reading them and it's amazing how much the hobby has changed since they were written and how much more (and better) information is available to us today, for which I'm very grateful.

Well look at that, somebody actually bought the book before they bought the fish, coral ect. ... thumbs2:

BluewaterBoof
08-08-2018, 06:13 PM
The spot looked a little less noticeable this morning. I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the little guy. I'm pretty certain that he's sick of me staring at him all the time. lol
I ordered this pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMXLFV3/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 on Monday and it's supposed to be arriving today. The 740 GPH is probably overkill, but it says it's adjustable. I'll have to be careful not to spray water all over the house if the tubing tries to get away from me. I do my WC when the hubs isn't home so he won't see how big a mess I make.

It looks like the exact same pump as mine haha I notice that there are a lot of rebrandings going on with things like the powerheads/pumps.

My wife has witnessed some of my less than stellar water changes. My faves were 1) opening the valve on my Python too quickly at the sink and having the water blast out of the nozzle, deflecting off the sink and soaking half the kitchen, and 2) turning a canister back on before the water level was high enough to submerge the spray bar, resulting in the water arcing gracefully up and over the front of the tank.

showmebutterfly
08-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a mess, but funny after the fact. I always try to keep a couple towels within grabbing distance. I know what a klutz I am and that there's going to be some water spilled, it's just a matter of how much. lol

My wife has witnessed some of my less than stellar water changes. My faves were 1) opening the valve on my Python too quickly at the sink and having the water blast out of the nozzle, deflecting off the sink and soaking half the kitchen, and 2) turning a canister back on before the water level was high enough to submerge the spray bar, resulting in the water arcing gracefully up and over the front of the tank.

BluewaterBoof
08-08-2018, 06:36 PM
My problem is that I am overconfident and don't believe that I am clumsy or careless, so I don't take those extra precautions :hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
08-09-2018, 01:21 AM
So... I think (hope) that my emerald crab molted. I thought he'd died when I saw the shell, but from the way the shell is split, I am hopeful that it was just a molt. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180809/325e5da1e50916bf18db2c6fb5af267f.jpg

showmebutterfly
08-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Precious cargo [emoji7] (from the LFS who is against plastic bags and pro recycling).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180811/6fdb8427c4904d309fd157098c9979bf.jpg

Slaphppy7
08-12-2018, 02:51 PM
So you bring your own container?

What's in it?

showmebutterfly
08-12-2018, 02:59 PM
So you bring your own container?

What's in it?Have buckets, will travel...
I got a yellow clown goby and a golden neon goby. The neon is a cleaner goby and is supposed to pick parasites off other fish. They're both so tiny.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/1fb5f43ea55886564c84ab87ca9d51fa.jpg