PDA

View Full Version : cycle

gRuNg3b0y
12-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread if not sorry. Anyway, I have a 10gl tank that's been cycling for about 6 weeks (1 week with fish and 5 weeks fishless) I tested my water this morning at 3am when I got home from work and the result was

Ammonia - 1.0ppm
Nitrite - .25ppm

My source of ammonia is fish food (TetraFin: Goldfish flakes) and I just recently bought clear ammonia from the $1 store. I tested my tank again before putting the clear ammonia and my result was

Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

My question is, should I continue putting fish food in my tank or switch with the clear ammonia or just leave it alone??

Thanks!!

Dave66
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread if not sorry. Anyway, I have a 10gl tank that's been cycling for about 6 weeks (1 week with fish and 5 weeks fishless) I tested my water this morning at 3am when I got home from work and the result was

Ammonia - 1.0ppm
Nitrite - .25ppm

My source of ammonia is fish food (TetraFin: Goldfish flakes) and I just recently bought clear ammonia from the $1 store. I tested my tank again before putting the clear ammonia and my result was

Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

My question is, should I continue putting fish food in my tank or switch with the clear ammonia or just leave it alone??

Thanks!!

The latter. It takes time for the bacteria to grow and adapt to the ammonia surge from the metabolism of the fish taking in and digesting food. Constantly putting ammonia in every time you see a reading is short-circuting the cycle.
Leave it alone for a week, then test it.

Dave

gRuNg3b0y
12-07-2007, 11:18 PM
The latter. It takes time for the bacteria to grow and adapt to the ammonia surge from the metabolism of the fish taking in and digesting food. Constantly putting ammonia in every time you see a reading is short-circuting the cycle.
Leave it alone for a week, then test it.

Dave

Alright.. So I should just leave it alone for a week without adding ammonia in it??

Dave66
12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Right in one :)

Dave

gRuNg3b0y
12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
k thanks!!

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
And do no cleaning or change the filter media. Those will set it back again.

Good luck.

gRuNg3b0y
12-08-2007, 07:32 AM
And do no cleaning or change the filter media. Those will set it back again.

Good luck.

I'm suppose to change my activated carbon on Sunday, the 9th is that ok??

KcEE
12-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmm...don't think you actually need activated carbon unless you're removing meds from the water.

gem
12-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Some people prefer to always run carbon, but it's not neccesary really. Unless, as already stated, you're trying to remove a medication or impurity from the water. I run only the filter bag (slips into the cartridge on my hob) and sponge in my tanks without any carbon.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
As stated above, no carbon is needed. You're just wasting it now so you may as well save it for removing meds.

One of the nice things about using ammonia is you began the cycle immediately. Using food, you are waiting for it to rot and very slowly the ammonia is beginning to climb. You can cycle a tank with pure ammonia in about 12-14 days.

shockshockshad
12-08-2007, 06:17 PM
You can cycle a tank with pure ammonia in about 12-14 days.

I used pure ammonia and it still took a month, maybe a week more.

You dont need carbon. Waste of money unless you are removing meds, as stated.

gRuNg3b0y
12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I thought carbon helps remove the water stench of the tank and improves water clarity?

cocoa_pleco
12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought carbon helps remove the water stench of the tank and improves water clarity?

carbon is really useless, it promotes HITH in some fish and is just a waste of time. i never use carbon

Dave66
12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
carbon is really useless, it promotes HITH in some fish and is just a waste of time. i never use carbon

Sorry, Cocoa, no. The prevailing research and all empirical study indicates that HITH is indicative of long-term incorrect diet, and that the Heximita pathogen attacks only when HITH is present.
Its also been proven that changing the fish to an appropriate and varied diet eliminates HITH.
I use carbon at the beginning of all tanks, FW or Marine, to aid in the removal of the surge of organics in a new tank. I remove the carbon when the tank stabilizes.

Dave

shockshockshad
12-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I remove the carbon when the tank stabilizes

I presume you mean cycling, but you could also mean that after you have fish the perimeters stay in one place.

Dave66
12-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I presume you mean cycling, but you could also mean that after you have fish the perimeters stay in one place.

The latter. Exactly, shad. Or more precisely when the benthic infauna and bacterial colonies reach equalibrium for nutrient processing. Sorry I was unclear.

Dave

gRuNg3b0y
12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
So I'll just keep my carbon till my tank is cycled then..

gRuNg3b0y
12-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone.. I tested my tank though I was told to leave it for a week, stubborn me, and my result was:

Ammonia - 4.0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

I'm also gonna add that I put some clear ammonia in it (10 drops till Ammonia reached 5.0) and I took the liberty to completely remove my activated carbon in the filter so all I have now is foam, and bio.

It would be greatly appreciated to hear some suggestions, opinions, advice etc.

Thank You

gRuNg3b0y :22: