PDA

View Full Version : Any Halfbeak Keepers?

Neptune
02-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Celebes Halfbeaks are another less-common species that I have fallen in love with. I started with a group of 6 juveniles, and lost 4 to internal parasites (camallanus, I believe). Primarily carnivorous, but generally peaceful fish. They are sensitive to ph shifts and require a large surface area.

If anyone is familiar with these fish, can you identify the sex of this one? I have been thinking it's a female, since it hasn't developed the dark "lump" on the botton part of it's "beak". However, they are smaller than females supposedly grow. Then again, they are just over a year old, so it's possible they still have some growing to do.

Here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/Ripogenous/Halfbk1.jpg

William
02-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi
I've keept halfbeaks in the past.

Do you have, or could you get a clearer picture than that since the easiest way to sex halfbeaks in my opinion is the gonopodium and that part of the body is hard to distinguish on that photo.

Regards

William
02-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi again.
I added this species to the species database.

Celebes Halfbeak (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-97.html)

I wish i could say just for you, but unfortunatly it was only a coincidence. Dont know if it gives you any new information but thought i should mention it.

Would you considering leting me use a picture of you fishes in the species description?

Neptune
02-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi William,
I don't know if I can get a better picture or not, but I will try tonight. My camera is a cheap one and I'm not a good photographer either. If you would like to use this picture (or another one if I happen to get any better ones), feel free.

One thing I noticed about the profile - it says they come from South America. They actually come from the island of Sulawesi (Celebes) in Indonesia. Just thought I'd point that out, don't want people getting confused.

William
02-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks. I corrected my misstake.

Thanks for letting me use the images. Feel more then free to post any an all pictures you feel like in the photo gallery even if your not a good photographer. (which still has to be proven
:P )

RiverStar
07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I could have sworn halfbeaks were sexed by andropodiums, not gonopodiums.

:?:

William
07-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Yes your right. I mixed the terms up when i answered.

It should say andropodiums.

Thanks for noticing.