Riyadh
05-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Congratulations!!

Slaphppy7
05-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Congrats to you both, great pics.

RiversGirl
05-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Congratulations! These were both great photos. Just as others reported having trouble deciding between them, I did too! Both of you did a wonderful job in capturing a moment on film.

Platylover
05-24-2018, 01:10 PM
I can’t believe I won! MCH’s photo was really good too, so it’s a bit surprising.:D congrats MCH!

I can’t believe we were the only entries this month, I hope there’s more next month!

bpete
05-24-2018, 01:28 PM
congrats both of you, they are both great photos

mch1984
05-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Thanks everybody, my little gobies are a lot of fun. They protect their pistol shrimp and den enthusiastically. They even give me dirty looks if I look too hard at it.

mch1984
05-24-2018, 02:23 PM
I can’t believe I won! MCH’s photo was really good too, so it’s a bit surprising.:D congrats MCH!

I can’t believe we were the only entries this month, I hope there’s more next month!

Thanks! Always enjoy other salty pics

BluewaterBoof
05-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Really nice photos, both of you!

angelcraze2
05-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Really nice photos and congrats to you both!!! It's fun to see the beautiful interesting pics from members.

The SW fish in platylover's pic is my favorite SW fish. Although I have no idea what it is. I also love the eels? peaking out, how cute!!

Platylover
05-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Really nice photos and congrats to you both!!! It's fun to see the beautiful interesting pics from members.

The SW fish in platylover's pic is my favorite SW fish. Although I have no idea what it is. I also love the eels? peaking out, how cute!! thank you! they’re one of my favourites as well, would love to have a SW with a handful of them. Would be so beautiful! They’re banggai cardinals, one of the prettier cardinals IMO.

mch1984
05-24-2018, 07:04 PM

The SW fish in platylover's pic is my favorite SW fish. Although I have no idea what it is. I also love the eels? peaking out, how cute!!

They are actually Orange Spot Gobies. Some Gobies have the greatest relationship with Pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp are nearly blind and the partner up with gobies to help with protection and food gathering. In return the Gobies get a free home that the pistol shrimp digs for them.

gadget228
05-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Congrats to you both, nice pics... :ssmile:

angelcraze2
05-25-2018, 05:06 PM
thank you! they’re one of my favourites as well, would love to have a SW with a handful of them. Would be so beautiful! They’re banggai cardinals, one of the prettier cardinals IMO.

Very cool. A group would look amazing!

angelcraze2
05-25-2018, 05:07 PM
They are actually Orange Spot Gobies. Some Gobies have the greatest relationship with Pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp are nearly blind and the partner up with gobies to help with protection and food gathering. In return the Gobies get a free home that the pistol shrimp digs for them.

Thank you for all the info on them. That is a really cool relationship for sure. Must be stellar to watch them do their thing :)

Slaphppy7
05-25-2018, 05:33 PM
It really is a neat symbiotic relationship...don't pistol shrimp pretty much have to have gobies alongside them, and vice versa?

BluewaterBoof
05-25-2018, 06:29 PM
That is one of the things that fascinates me most with the marine side of the hobby. There are many different examples of these little symbiosis/mutualism pairings.

Medusa worm with emperor shrimp
"Cleaner" gobies, shrimp, and wrasse that pick and clean other fish
Clowns with anemones, along with other anemones that host various inverts
Pom pom crabs with their little anemone pom poms that they hold in their claws for protection
Pompeii worms secreting a mucous that feeds a specific type of fleecy bacteria that insulates the worms against thermal vents
Pistol and gobies sharing dens
Bioluminescent bacteria living in deep-sea animals
And of course the zooxanthellae, the photosynthetic algae that live within corals, jellyfish, and anemones, which gives them their colors as well as providing energy to the animal. The infamous bleaching of corals is actually the zooxanthellae leaving their host animal/coral, which then leaves behind a completely white animal.

angelcraze2
05-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Yeah, that's pretty cool André. One day when I have more time, I want to look into marine. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with FW.

BluewaterBoof
05-25-2018, 06:56 PM
At the moment I'm overwhelmed with FW.

I that is why I downsized haha

angelcraze2
05-25-2018, 07:32 PM
I downsized too! I still have 7 tanks going though. Although 4 of them are under 20 gallons. I'm kind of liking the freedom of less maintenance demands for the summer.

mac
05-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Hmm down sizing and i am about to add two possibly three more tanks.

Jokes aside the sw world is so worth the jump.
The viewing is stunning. Life forms way more cool. And so much more pleasing. And easily able to down grade to just a single tank.

angelcraze2
05-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info on that mac :)

mermaidwannabe
05-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Who says animals are "dumb"? Sounds like a winning deal for both of them.

steeler58
05-27-2018, 06:05 PM
I'm a little late, but congrats to both of you ;-)