PDA

View Full Version : Angel is sick 😢

fishlove
04-14-2018, 11:41 PM
Hey AC! Long time no see! ;)
Can someone help me please. I came across a new issue I've never dealt with before. My Angel appears to be "peeling" skin from around his eye!? Yes, it is around the perimeter of his eye, not on or in it. I initially noticed this yesterday, as one of his eyes was doing this, only slightly. I know I needed to get a WC done but didn't have the time until today. Well, now both his eyes look like this and it's worse. I've attached pictures so I'm hoping they attached.

He was also keeping to himself yesterday and today and is also getting picked on. At times he does hold his own and fight back but not usually. He also ate flakes yesterday but would not even touch the bloodworms today. 😢 Now it appears as though the stringy stuff coming from his eye has a pink-ish tint to it, as well as his ventral fins (or maybe it's just the tank lights!?)

For those of you that know me, I have not changed anything in the tank since I was here last (December or January '17). At times, I do go almost 2 weeks before a WC. I know, that's horrible but there has been many changes in my life and I do the best I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome! 😊 TIA

fishlove
04-14-2018, 11:46 PM
My bad! The only thing that has changed in the last few months was that I added 3 yo yo loaches to help eradicate my MTS. The loaches are huge now and do chase the Angels at times. Bullies!

Slaphppy7
04-15-2018, 12:26 AM
I would PM Angelcraze when you get a chance, she's our resident "angelfish expert", IMO

If the loaches are harassing the angel(s), it could be a wound, is my only guess...

fishlove
04-15-2018, 12:34 AM
it could be a wound, is my only guess... Yes, let's only hope! I will contact Angelcraze. Thanks! ;)

Boundava
04-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Hope you poor guy gets better soon, and its just bullying. Frequent large water changes are the best cure for wounds, if that is what it turns out to be.

steeler58
04-15-2018, 01:00 AM
Good to see you back here my friend, sorry you Angel is going through this :(

fishlove
04-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Good to see you back here my friend, sorry you Angel is going through this :(

Thank you so much!! Honestly, it's so good to be back but I might be popping on and off for a while. So many exciting new things happening! :) In the past few months I've become an Independent Consultant with Pampered Chef (like I don't have enough to do already ;) and my hubby and I are also expecting our first little one the end of July. It's been very busy around here to say the least but very exciting.

fishlove
04-15-2018, 03:11 AM
I didn't want to post this right here but for some reason I am having quite the difficulty navigating this site. Did something change? I'm having a hard time posting a new thread, and whenever I click my notifications at the top, I always get this message......

My next issue.....my poor Angelfish! :( I hate to feel so ignorant here because I should know better (!?) I am just at a loss right now and my heart is breaking. So, I know I need to get my yo yo's out of the tank because they are literally biting at my Angel and the Angel is not fighting back. The yo yo's are too hard to catch so I thought maybe I should remove the Angel and put him in my 10 gallon. I could just use water from the 125 gallon and do daily WC's. If I remove the Angel and quarantine him until he heals, will the other fish attack him once I put him back with the others? Ohh, my mind is racing.....not sure the best approach but I need to do something. :(

steeler58
04-15-2018, 03:18 AM
Thank you so much!! Honestly, it's so good to be back but I might be popping on and off for a while. So many exciting new things happening! :) In the past few months I've become an Independent Consultant with Pampered Chef (like I don't have enough to do already ;) and my hubby and I are also expecting our first little one the end of July. It's been very busy around here to say the least but very exciting.

Congratulations on the little one :balloons:

Slaphppy7
04-15-2018, 01:01 PM
I didn't want to post this right here but for some reason I am having quite the difficulty navigating this site. Did something change? I'm having a hard time posting a new thread, and whenever I click my notifications at the top, I always get this message......

My next issue.....my poor Angelfish! :( I hate to feel so ignorant here because I should know better (!?) I am just at a loss right now and my heart is breaking. So, I know I need to get my yo yo's out of the tank because they are literally biting at my Angel and the Angel is not fighting back. The yo yo's are too hard to catch so I thought maybe I should remove the Angel and put him in my 10 gallon. I could just use water from the 125 gallon and do daily WC's. If I remove the Angel and quarantine him until he heals, will the other fish attack him once I put him back with the others? Ohh, my mind is racing.....not sure the best approach but I need to do something. :(

Yes, I would get the angel out of that tank ASAP...10G would be just temporary, but better than getting beat up by the loaches

Slaphppy7
04-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the upcoming baby, too!

fishlove
04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Congratulations on the little one :balloons:

Thank you so much! It's been a very long, difficult road to get where we are.

fishlove
04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the upcoming baby, too!

Thank you so much!!

Taurus
04-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Thank you so much! It's been a very long, difficult road to get where we are.

Congratulations and I do hope things continue to go well.

fishlove
04-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Matt, right? (Slap)

Did you know anything about that error that I posted? It only comes up when I'm on the computer. No issues when using my phone. Very annoying though as I cannot view my notifications or even the new posts at times. :( Thanks

fishlove
04-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Congratulations and I do hope things continue to go well.

I appreciate that Taurus! ;) Thank you!

Slaphppy7
04-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Matt, right? (Slap)

Did you know anything about that error that I posted? It only comes up when I'm on the computer. No issues when using my phone. Very annoying though as I cannot view my notifications or even the new posts at times. :( Thanks

Try clearing your cookies, then restart the AC (?)...yes, it's Matt :ssmile:

angelcraze2
04-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Hey AC! Long time no see! ;)
Can someone help me please. I came across a new issue I've never dealt with before. My Angel appears to be "peeling" skin from around his eye!? Yes, it is around the perimeter of his eye, not on or in it. I initially noticed this yesterday, as one of his eyes was doing this, only slightly. I know I needed to get a WC done but didn't have the time until today. Well, now both his eyes look like this and it's worse. I've attached pictures so I'm hoping they attached.

He was also keeping to himself yesterday and today and is also getting picked on. At times he does hold his own and fight back but not usually. He also ate flakes yesterday but would not even touch the bloodworms today.  Now it appears as though the stringy stuff coming from his eye has a pink-ish tint to it, as well as his ventral fins (or maybe it's just the tank lights!?)

For those of you that know me, I have not changed anything in the tank since I was here last (December or January '17). At times, I do go almost 2 weeks before a WC. I know, that's horrible but there has been many changes in my life and I do the best I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome!  TIA

The yo yo's are too hard to catch so I thought maybe I should remove the Angel and put him in my 10 gallon. I could just use water from the 125 gallon and do daily WC's. If I remove the Angel and quarantine him until he heals

Hi fishlove! (Amy?) Congrats on the little one :)

Your angel:
I love angelfish, but I am not a pro with medicating, just have lots of experience lol. I do suspect injury. And I do think that angel should get out of the tank and into QT. I actually had a similar issue two 1.5 years ago with an EB ram. These are the instructions I received

You can get cheap storage tote from home depot. $9 for a 27 gallon tote. $7 for 12 gallon

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-12-Ga...6100/207207157

You can try treating with pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate only) to reduce the liquid build up. About 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for 7 days. You can add Methylene blue or Paraguard to the QT.

What I like about storage bins is that you can use it for something else afterwards, and don't have to worry about silicon seal degradation. The downside is that you cannot look at the fish.

Add about 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt on day 1, add the second on day 2, and then the final dosage on day three. Make sure that the salt if dissolved prior to putting it into the tank.

After day 3, redose for what ever dosage removed, hence a 5 gallon change will require you to add 1 dissolved tablespoon back in.

I've put in a 6-7" (1.5" thick) peacock bass into an uncycled cooler, which is way bigger than your ram, and in 15 gallons of water. In the presence of meth blue, the gills will take that in more so than the ammonia. Meth blue will facilitate more oxygen to the fish and help in the healing process. I made sure to change at least one third of the water volume everyday. No issues after 1 week being in that cooler.

When using methylene blue, you need to make sure any water conditioner used has been circulated for at least 30 minutes, I typically wait an hour before adding it back in.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Epsom Salts, because I think the fluid is already gone. Either way, fluid builds up to protect and heal, highly susceptible to infection. If the other eye is showing symptoms and you see pink or redness, it also suggests infection. Meth blue and kanamycin are a good idea IME and IMO.

I've quoted Rocksor, so hopefully he can confirm if it's a good idea for you.

If there's anything else, don't hesitate to mention it here. I'm following and wish your angel well.

fishlove
04-15-2018, 10:36 PM
Hi fishlove! (Amy?) Congrats on the little one :) It's Mylea 😊 no worries. And thank you so much!

Your angel:
I love angelfish, but I am not a pro with medicating, just have lots of experience lol. I do suspect injury. And I do think that angel should get out of the tank and into QT. I actually had a similar issue two 1.5 years ago with an EB ram. I did end up putting him in QT late last night. Tried feeding today and he's not having it. :( I have a better picture of his eye now that he's in QT, if that would help make the diagnosis easier. Since this stuff is peeling from his eyes, it almost appears that one of his eyes is cloudy underneath. Does this mean I need to medicate?

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Epsom Salts, because I think the fluid is already gone. Either way, fluid builds up to protect and heal, highly susceptible to infection. If the other eye is showing symptoms and you see pink or redness, it also suggests infection. Meth blue and kanamycin are a good idea IME and IMO. Both eyes are affected, unfortunately. The pink that I saw last night is not there anymore. Must have been the tank lights.

I've quoted Rocksor, so hopefully he can confirm if it's a good idea for you. Thank you so very much. Kat? 😊

If there's anything else, don't hesitate to mention it here. I'm following and wish your angel well.

My responses are in red ;)55309

fishlove
04-15-2018, 10:41 PM
If it is indeed just an injury, what is the expected time needed in QT and what other measures do I need to be taking in order to get this guy healthy (and eating again) and back in the main tank? I can't thank you enough! thumbs2:

angelcraze2
04-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Rocksor advised me to do meth blue for a week.

Kanamycin
http://www.seachem.com/kanaplex.php

Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses

I would do the meth blue and kanamycin based on what I've learned at least for a week. That is the suggested treament period for kanamycin as well. Access after that.

As for eating, I don't know if you can do much, he's not eating because he's not feeling well. He will eat once he starts getting better. I've found garlic (even garlic powder) entices my fish to eat, and when he's ready, try yummy food like bloodworms. I like to change lots of water often when my fish aren't feeling well personally, but when I resort to meds, I change it as per medication instructions. For kanamycin, it's every 48hrs. If you're using a water conditioner like Prime, wait 1 hour after changing water in case it interferes with kanamycin.

I would be doing daily large WCs after a week, I understand the fish is ok with meth blue in QT, but after that I would cycle the tank with established media. I'm sorry Mylea, I'm still learning myself. I'm sure someone with more input will be around soon.

angelcraze2
04-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Btw, I think it's Popeye, which can initially be a result of injury, but when it moves to the other eye, there is infection and I believe Kanamycin would be helpful.

angelcraze2
04-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Also btw I use Kordon Methylene blue
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Methylene-Blue-4-oz/dp/B00K7IXODK&ved=2ahUKEwj6-rmdv73aAhVCMd8KHU8CCr4QFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3EesjcPMcZiOyfCjceS6Qz
I drop per gallon

fishlove
04-16-2018, 12:27 AM
Thank you so much!
If I understand correctly, Kanamycin is 1 measure for every 5 gallons, repeat every 48 hrs x 3 doses. Meth Blue is 1 drop per gallon. Both meds are used together. How often do I use the Meth Blue? Daily, every other day? Is it going to stain my tank? I've never used MB. I'm a little worried :scry:

angelcraze2
04-16-2018, 12:51 AM
Yes, it will stain silicone light blue. That's why Rocksor suggests to use a Rubbermaid bin or cooler to treat in. I was nervous to use it too that time, I only did baths twice a day and I ultimately lost her :( If I had to do it again, I'd dose the whole QT tank for a one week duration. I believe you would dose meth blue for water removed at WC time. I would use kanamycin at least, meth blue is to facilitate treating and prevent issues like ammonia poisoning while treating.

Tbh, I'm unsure about the max kanamycin dosage, as in how many doses, if one treatment is 3 doses or if max is 3 doses (of 3 treatments) I'm sorry! I don't want to say the wrong thing. Either way, you can start with 1 measure per 5 gallons every 48 hrs. It didn't kill my nitrogen cycle, but I'm not sure about a 10g QT. That's what the meth blue is for from what I understand.

Also, I may have messed up the meth blue dosage, I'll double-check.

angelcraze2
04-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Again, a quote to help me out in one of my situations...

Having extra oxygen in the blood helps the fish to heal. If any type of poison is in the blood, MB will help to remove that; although this would be better in the tank long term (5ml per 10 gallon) for 1 week.

I stick fish in a plastic cooler with an airstone and a heater, changing 5 gallons a water a day using old tank water. The cooler because I don't want MB to stain any silicone.

fishlove
04-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Kat, I very much appreciate all your responses. Please forgive my ignorance.

A few things......currently, I have established media from the main tank in the QT tank. Now, although I've treated before, I may not have done it right. When treating with medication, can you still use the established media and then place it back in the original filter when done or do should you use other media? What am I talking about? Well, last time I think I used established media but don't remember now if I threw it away when I was done treating or sanitized it before putting it back in the original filter. (Please forgive me!)

Also, if using MB in a plastic bin, you mentioned putting an air stone and heater in it. Do I still need to place a filter in there as well? I will have to buy a few things so I'm going to see what I can do.

Thank you..Thank you..Thank you!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

angelcraze2
04-16-2018, 06:49 PM
I have dosed kanamycin in a cycled tank without losing the cycle, but in my own experience, starting up a QT is hit and miss, the cycle doesn't always take right away. In the cases where the cycle bottomed out, I add Prime water conditioner to neutralize ammonia (turn it to the much less toxic form ammonium) and add more bio media from the main tank. I have used floss for QT, not expensive ceramic, and I toss out all media used when I'm done to prevent contamination to the main tank. In your situation, the problem is not contagious, so I might try to disinfect and reuse ceramic media. (But most often, it's safer just to chuck it).

Meth blue will kill your cycle, and is really used in your situation for a hospital tank that is not cycled. Just an airstone to keep water moving and oxygenated and a heater to keep water at a good temp for your angel (whatever he's used to). The meth blue will keep him safe while you medicate with kanamycin. It's just playing it safe (as I understand) assuming cycles don't always take.

I hope I am explaining things right, no worries about anything, I'm super happy to help!

fishlove
04-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Thanks again Kat!
So I'm going to go buy a container and an air stone (either tonight or early morning). Then I'll add some media from the main tank (that I can toss later) and put the Angel in the container along with Meth Blue and Kanamycin. Since I am dosing x 48 hours, I will not do a WC until 48 hours is up. The Meth Blue will also help with the ammonia, from what I'm understanding.

I just noticed (10 min. ago) some stringy-looking, diarrhea (?) like light tan color stuff coming from his anus. :( You'll see the poop in the bottom photo) And look at his eyes now!!! :ssuprised: They're getting worse by the day. Is his condition deteriorating or is there something else I'm dealing now? :( This is the worst part of fish-keeping, I swear! :'(

angelcraze2
04-17-2018, 12:06 AM
Ahhh poor guy. There's no need to use media in the container with meth blue. Just an airstone. Meth blue kills the nitrogen cycle anyway, so there's no point. Leave bio media in the QT tank until you use meth blue though. I'm sorry Mylea :(

I wouldn't worry about his poop, and his system is off atm.
Stringy poop doesn't always mean parasites. I think this time it's related. Once he gets some antibiotics, hopefully it'll give him a chance to heal. That is my opinion.

angelcraze2
04-17-2018, 12:14 AM
I know you're focusing on him (and I don't blame you) you have a lot going on, but how are the other angels with the loaches? I wouldn't want this happening to the others is all.

I had to rehome my beautiful tiger plecos when they started sucking on my angel's slime coat at night :(

fishlove
04-17-2018, 12:19 AM
The loaches do chase the other Angels but the Angels are strong enough to get the loaches away. I do plan on getting the loaches out anyway. Just have to figure out how. They're so darn fast! Ha ha..

fishlove
04-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Oh, speaking of plecos, we still have ours in with the Angels & Discuss. He's about 8.5 inches or so now. He grew super fast in the beginning but has since stopped. Wonder if he'll really get to be the expected 12 inches. Hmm..
He's been great so far (knock on wood). He may be the next one moving out... we'll see.

fishlove
04-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Wow, what a show it's been around here lately! I feel like I just can't get anything done and my poor Angel is suffering as he waits for me to treat him. Well, I'm getting him today. Set up the tote with heater and air stone. I wanted to double check with you all quick and I've inserted a photo (I'm a visual person and you may be too)

ONce the temp gets to the right place, I'm going to put the Angel in and add Kanamycin and Meth Blue. Man that Meth Blue is horrible stuff. Does it really stain your skin too? :( Anyway, once treatment is done, can I just put him back in the 10 gallon aquarium I have sitting here? It already has established media in it, it's just not cycled but I will do daily WC's anyway. If I do place him back here, is it ok to shut down the aquarium or do I need to keep it running while he's in the tote? Oh, and what did Rocksor mean by "using old tank water" when doing WC's?

Oh, Thank You kindly. I feel like I'm losing my mind over here :screaming:

Boundava
04-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Set up looks good to me. the tub will forever have the nice blue color, its mean stuff. As for the water changes using tankwater...do you have a larger tank you can pull water from?
Rocksor Maybe he means replace the water you siphon out with water from the larger tank?

angelcraze2
04-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Looks good to me :thumbup:

Ok, as Boundava said, meth blue is mean stuff and yes, wear gloves when using it. It fades after a day, but yes, I've stained my hands lol.

Add kanamycin and meth blue first, then the angel so that the meds are already mixed well. Also add them at least an hour after you add Prime water conditioner. It interferes with the meds. If you use old tank water (from the main tank) to do your water changes, you won't have to worry about Prime interfering and params stay closer to what he's used to.

About the tank while your treating, I'd probably keep it going. I'm really not sure, so hopefully Rocksor can chime in, lol, I've been quoting him. I wouldn't bother with water changes in the tank while your angel is in the bin, but I would add more media from the main tank just before you add your angel back to the 10g. It's a long story, but beneficial bacteria will starve out without a food source aka angelfish poop. Once he starts pooping in the 10g, your freshly added seeded media will process his waste. Hopefully. Theoretically, that's the way it works.

Hope that makes sense and good luck Mylea!

angelcraze2
04-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Btw, you would simply refill your main tank with fresh water (and water conditioner). Think of it as a 5g water change in the main tank.

And to keep the temperature more consistent, you might want to find some kind of cover for the bin (not the whole thing obviously to allow gas exchange).

Rocksor
04-18-2018, 07:06 PM
With a 4-5 inch kelberi bass, in 15 gallons of water in a plastic cooler, I just had an airstone and a heater. I dosed with Kanaplex and methylene blue per directions. I used old tank water so I didn't have to worry about water temperature or Prime. I changed 5 gallons of water daily while the bass was in the plastic cooler, adding back in the medication removed. Fish is not fed during treatment. While methylene blue does kill a cycle, it does prevent/cure ammonia poisoning.

Methylene blue easily comes off of your fingers. Wash you hands a few times after using the bathroom or after simply washing the dishes and it is practically gone.

If you are just doing a one hour bath, airstone and heater are not needed, especially if you are using old tank water from the main tank (no debris or crud from the old tank just water). For one hour baths, it is double the dosage of kanaplex and methylene blue. The baths are a bit more tiring to do.

angelcraze2
04-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks Rocksor. Yeah, I did the baths when I had a Pop-eye issue with my ram. I wish I had just kept her in the meth blue for a week. I think it caused more stress for her to net her twice a day. Like I said, if I ever have to do it again, I will do the full one week treatment.

fishlove
04-19-2018, 04:17 PM
I can't thank you all enough for all the detailed information. :) Other than being 6 months pregnant, working and taking care of the house and now a sick fish, you can imagine my mind is not as sharp as it used to be. ;)

I ended up adding the Kanamycin first, then the Angel, then the Meth Blue but I think that should be fine. The Angel is "more active" I guess since being in this new world of "blue" (I hope he's not freaking out) but maybe he's not used to the bubbles. !? We'll see how the week goes and hope for the best!

If he is clearly not better at the end of the week, would you consider another week of the same treatment? TIA ;)

Rocksor
04-19-2018, 04:42 PM
1 week of treatment is enough to see if it is helping.

fishlove
04-22-2018, 02:01 AM
Thank you Rocksor!
I'm happy to report it appears at least one of his eyes is getting a lot better. :) One more dose tomorrow and then we'll see what Tuesday brings. His other eye is still pretty yucky looking :'(

angelcraze2
04-22-2018, 02:10 AM
Very glad to hear one eye is looking better :) Sending continued good luck wishes your way.

RiversGirl
04-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Best wishes for continued healing of your angel.

A huge congrats on your pregnancy!

fishlove
04-24-2018, 07:58 PM
1 week of treatment is enough to see if it is helping.

Ok, clearly the treatment has worked (at least mostly). I wanted to verify with you all first before I made my next move as I'm not quite sure and I'm trying to keep the stress down as much as possible.
So, here he is in his blue container still. His eyes are so much better, but as you can tell, that left one is a little goopy yet. Not sure what that is but the fluid build up is gone.

Do I put him back in the clear QT now with daily WC's and monitor him over the week? I will also try feeding him then as well. :) Thanks all!

fishlove
04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Best wishes for continued healing of your angel.

A huge congrats on your pregnancy!

Thank you so much RiversGirl! ;)

angelcraze2
04-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Well I'm very happy to see his eyes are better. What an improvement :thumbup: It's very encouraging to see the treament helped. I can keep your results in mind, thanks for updating. I'm not sure what to say about moving to the clear QT. Paging Rocksor. He would know best what to do.

fishlove
04-24-2018, 11:49 PM
Thanks Kat.
I'll keep an eye out for Rocksor's response. It definitely is nice to see an improvement, especially when it hurts so bad seeing them suffer.

Rocksor
04-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Stop the kanaplex, and continue with one more week of methylene blue in plastic. Your other glass quarantine tank should be ready by then. If it looks like there is still fluid build up in the eye, you can pre-dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt (pure) per 10 gallons, and at it to the container. Maintain that amount for 1 week.

steeler58
04-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Some great advice :clap:, I hope you Angel recovers.

angelcraze2
04-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Me too! I'm rooting for him haha.

I have a question for Rocksor regarding this treatment. The angelfish will be in meth blue for another week. When using Kanaplex, a WC was done every 48hs. Are WCs required for the week while in meth blue? If so, would meth blue be redosed for quantity removed?

Rocksor
04-26-2018, 01:48 AM
I would do daily water changes since the tub is not cycled, and add in the mb removed.

fishlove
04-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Kat, thanks for asking about the water changes. Thankfully, I was doing them anyway. My gosh, I can't believe how much of an improvement has been made with this extra time in the meth blue. Look at this!! :19:

I'm going to "assume" that he is fully capable of transferring to the clear 10 gallon QT tomorrow so I can work on getting him to eat. Is it a good thing to wait until he eats before transferring him back to the main tank? He has really got so strong in the past 2 weeks, I can't believe it! And I can't thank you all enough for your quick responses during this time.

One thing that is a little confusing is the fact that there are these stringy things in the tank that he's in. It's hard to tell but I pulled out the cord from the thermometer and wiped it off. I didn't see anything really, other than just dark blue. I think it's just coming from the meth blue itself. Hmm....weird!

angelcraze2
05-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Ohhh I'm so so happy he's improved! What a positive update, I'm so ecstatic to see this :)))

Not sure what to say about feeding him, but I think I would transfer him first to clear QT before feeding. But just to let you know, make sure he eats what you offer. If he doesn't eat said food, remove it so that it doesn't foul the water. Remember to add some more seeded media from the main tank right before adding your angel to clear QT.

About the strings of blue, it's probably slime. Either shedded body tissue or other bacterial slime. I'd probably try to remove it as much as possible.

Rocksor
05-01-2018, 06:10 PM
He should stay in quarantine until he will eat a couples of times a day for 2-3 weeks. The first week makes sure he is eating a little once a day.

Boundava
05-01-2018, 06:38 PM
What a wonderful improvement. Hope he is quick to regain his appetite in the 10 gallon QT tank.

fishlove
05-17-2018, 04:01 AM
Well, my lovely QT fish has fully recovered! And he's more feisty than ever! :surprised:

So, I just completed a WC on the main tank, threw in some o-nips for distraction and added Mr. QT fish. Did I mention he is more feisty than ever?? Yup, he's decided to chase all the other Angels in the tank. He even lip locked with one for several, several minutes. I'm not sure the right thing to do here but I stuck in my scraper to break them up, I couldn't stand watching anymore. I haven't seen any behavior quite that bad again but he is still not letting up the chasing.

I have a pair that occupy the right side of the tank and after every WC they begin to spawn. This is good because they are chasing away MR. QT and giving him the same treatment he's giving everyone else. Maybe that's helping him settle down? I don't know. I have seen aggression with my Angels before but nothing quite like this. Is this normal for the "new-comer" to be the bully?

Thanks guys!!

Rocksor
05-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Yes this is normal for any cichlid.

RiversGirl
05-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Wonderful news that he has recovered and has rejoined your main tank. Nice job - and quick action - on your part in getting him what he needed.

fishlove
05-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Thank you both, but unfortunately I didn't step in fast enough this time. ������
The day after putting him back in the main tank, things appeared to settle down a bit. The only fish he seemed to not let up on was the only colored Angel in the tank, of course he is a little more stand-offish too.
I had some errands to run yesterday but when I got back, looked in the tank, the Angel I had in QT was laying dead on the bottom. His mouth laid open, one of his eyes was even hard to see. The tears automatically began flowing down my cheeks, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He was so strong. I don't get it. Did they all gang up on him? How horrible.

Slaphppy7
05-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Sorry for the loss.

Boundava
05-18-2018, 12:58 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

bpete
05-18-2018, 01:08 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. sounds like you did everything you could in this situation.

fishlove
05-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Thank you all so much. It hurts so much. Everytime I even think about it, I get choked up. Ehhh.....I appreciate you guys coming by with the kind words.
I just can't believe how fast he went. It's almost like they waited til I was gone and all ganged up on him. They are cichlids so I guess it's expected but still...:'(

angelcraze2
05-18-2018, 05:35 PM
I'm so sorry Mylea :( I just can't believe that after all you did. You know you did the right thing, nothing you can do if it was meant to be. A few months ago I found my strongest bluest largest male angelfish dead one morning. He refused to eat that night, but that was the only thing wrong. He was breeding just before this. I know, it is heartbreaking when that happens, but you were successful at healing his eye, and that means a lot. Sometimes there's nothing more you can do.

RiversGirl
05-18-2018, 08:48 PM
So sorry for your loss.