PDA

View Full Version : Milking it for all it's worth!

mermaidwannabe
04-02-2018, 06:19 PM
My kitty started favoring his right front leg, keeping it lifted and hobbling around on the remaining three.

I took him to the vet. An X-ray showed arthritis in the bad leg joint. Vet gave him a pain shot with an anti-inflammatory that lasted 72 hours. She prescribed medicated treats that contain Cosequin, and also some gel caps with Cosequin to puncture and sprinkle the contents onto his food.

These measures appear to be helping. When he isn't aware that I'm looking, he now moves around on all fours again. The minute he sees me, he lifts up that right leg and starts hobbling again. He has received a lot of sympathy and extra petting, partly as a reward when he eats his medicated treats, which at first he wouldn't touch.

Now, he milks this for all it's worth. He's doing the injured leg bit largely for attention. He gets carried into his shelter instead of having to walk across our graveled yard for it.

Hee-hee! Somebody has this kitty thoroughly spoiled. Wonder who? Smart kitty knows a good thing when he experiences it.

Who says animals are "dumb"?

RiversGirl
04-02-2018, 06:26 PM
That's a cute story! I hope your cat continues to heal well.

Boundava
04-02-2018, 07:01 PM
LOL, that would be just like our Wednesday-too smart for her own good. Spoiled fuzz-butts the whole lot of them. That's OK I will keep spoiling them.

On another note, it is amazing how well the Cosequin/Dasequin does for the cats. Out senior kitty has perked up and is much more mobile since when have been giving it more regularly with her thyroid and phosphate binder.

Glad yours is doing better. Arthritis is hard whether two legs or 4.

mermaidwannabe
04-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Arthritis is just as hard on humans. I've seen it in my own family. It hits certain members while others dodge that bullet. My maternal grandmother and my aunt had it severely, and suffered greatly from it. My mother never got arthritis, and I don't have it, either. Don't think my sister or brother has it, and my other great aunt, my grandmother's sister, was also spared. It runs in the family, but not with everyone.

I remember grandma taking so much Annison for it that it eroded a hole in her tissues and she had to be hospitalized. Evidently, it wasn't buffered. I don't see Annison on the market, anymore. It used to be a popular analgesic.

This kitty is going on ten years old, so it's little wonder he's starting to have issues. Well fed and at a healthy weight, there are currently no other health problems. He continues to eat, which is always a good sign. Yep, Cosequin is a godsend. Very effective when used regularly.