PDA

View Full Version : My BW light is working again!

angelcraze2
03-22-2018, 08:07 PM
:woo: I'm so happy, my BW 1W LED driver started to make my light blink. It started blinking when it first turned on to blinking continuously. I had to remove the fixture since it was freaking out my fish and not accomplishing anything. Since I removed it, my tank is very low light, my rotala and stargrass started growing in much thinner. I rolled with it anyway, but today, I dug out my fixture again. It worked! I'm very happy because I love these lights as supplemental lighting, I have really good results with them for foreground growth and I can't get them anymore.

So hopefully it will continue to work and I can update this pic in a couple weeks with the new growth. I moved all my plants from the 3rd breeder to this 33g tank. There will be fish in the tank for a year since this tank may have been infected with a parasite, but I'll watch my plants grow. I can also add some red plants now and harder to keep plants :thumbup:

The java fern is some kind of rare trident. I got a small piece of it from my LFS (he gave it to me in exchange for my last clown killi like 3/4 years ago. A slow grower, but it now 5x the size it was.

Slaphppy7
03-22-2018, 08:22 PM
If it starts doing it again, you can get the info off of the driver and order a new one, they aren't hard to replace

angelcraze2
03-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Awesome. I found a replacement on eBay for 40$. But if it happens again I'll ask for a cheaper source, tx!

BTW, I meant NO fish in this tank for a year or so.

RiversGirl
03-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Awesome news about your light!
It will be fun to play around with plants in here. Your JF is quite pretty.

angelcraze2
03-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Awesome news about your light!
It will be fun to play around with plants in here. Your JF is quite pretty.

Thank you!!! Yeah! That's the fern I posted a few years ago, I think it was in your journal haha. You wished it would do well for me :)
I'll find out what type it is. I've spaced it out for more growth :)

angelcraze2
03-22-2018, 10:07 PM
It's Microsorium pteropus sp. (Trident Java Fern).

It will do much better with the added light and ferts I'm going to add, nothing drastic, just a bit of Comprehensive. The tank is dirted (old dirt, but still...) and some DIY Osmotote tabs in the substrate. When the light was working (and there were fish in the tank) the growth was totally different. I want to capture the transition (hopefully).

angelcraze2
03-22-2018, 10:25 PM

The red arrow is pointing at some kind of aponogenton, I don't know if it will bounce back after the transfer, but I hope so because it will look nice in my future African tank. The blue arrow is a rubin sword I believe. I expect it to become redder. The yellow is some crypt balancea I just moved from the other tank. It really did nothing in the other tank either except get covered in algae. I'm hoping it will propagate in this tank :fingerscrossed:

angelcraze2
03-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Some more before pics of the tank

I revamped the trident java fern a bit

I've decided to start dosing Flourish Advance in this tank as well to kick start the finicky plants I moved.

RiversGirl
03-23-2018, 03:27 PM
I'm very interested in following your plant experiments in here. Thanks for sharing your travels!

Riyadh
03-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Looking good. That Java Fern is also known as Needle Leaf Java Fern

angelcraze2
03-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Thank you, but no, it's different, it's trident.

This is my Blackwater tank with needleleaf

Needleleaf does not divide into fork-like leaves. Love java fern, it's so easy and fills in quicker than I thought :thumbsup:

Oh yes, and the floating thermometer facing the wrong way in the middle of the tank is for Matt :14:

Riyadh
03-24-2018, 07:21 AM
AAAhh(blush) I see now, should of googled it

angelcraze2
03-24-2018, 03:11 PM
AAAhh(blush) I see now, should of googled it

No worries :ssmile: They look similar until you look closely. The only reason I knew about it was because my LFS guy gave it to me, at the time it was quite rare. Not sure about today.

angelcraze2
04-12-2018, 06:52 PM
If it starts doing it again, you can get the info off of the driver and order a new one, they aren't hard to replace

Ok it started strobbing again. I'm ready to find out how to get a replacement driver for cheap lol. I wanted to continue the added light experiment, so I replaced the accent LED with a t8 for now.

Anyway, here's my update for this tank
Sorry about the glass algae blurring the fern, but it looks the same.

I am too lazy and forgetful to add ferts. But I've noticed especially the ferns need more fertilizer since fish have been removed. Heavy rooting plants have a dirted tank and Osmotote tabs. So a new experiment....
I added an osmotote gravel tab to a nylon calf high stocking, then added it to my filter. I'll see if it ends up with a big algae bloom. I'm not too worried about too much fert being released at once now that there are no fish, so we'll see what it does for the trident java fern.

I trimmed a bunch of ugly Amazon sword leaves, hoping to encourage new healthy leaf growth. The trident java fern on the vertical log was getting coated with diatoms/BBA being so close to the light, so I had to move it lower again. My rubin sword is a bit darker, and aponogenton is growing :)

Slaphppy7
04-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Looks good to me!

sudhirr
04-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Excellent pic. Nice planted tank.

Riyadh
04-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Nice, can see some differences in the plant growth

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Excellent pic. Nice planted tank.

Thank you :) I'll keep updating, I don't have much else to do in the aquarium world lol! I'm excited to put more effort into plants again.

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Nice, can see some differences in the plant growth

Thanks for checking it out :) In a few weeks, I'll put the pics side by side to compare. I'm curious how the Osmotote in the filter will do for the fern!

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Looks good to me!

Thank you! Do you know how to find a new compatible driver for my LED? It connects to a male/female pin. If you're not sure, don't worry about it. Just curious. I think the t8 is causing BBA.

Slaphppy7
04-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Do you have a model or part # for the fixture?...or, can you expose the driver the see a model/part #

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Do you have a model or part # for the fixture?...or, can you expose the driver the see a model/part #

Hold on, I can't find where I put it! Tx.

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 08:20 PM
I put in a really good 'safe' spot lol, still haven't found it. But here is the info for it and a pic

LED Driver 12V 1000mA Male 1A Beamswork 24 36 .10W .20W 100-240V Power Supply

I can look myself, I'm just not sure what to look for!

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Nevermind! I just won this auction.
https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Power-Supply-DC12V-5A-60W-AC-100-240V-Converter-Adapter-for-LED-Ultra-durable/352324006571?_mwBanner=1#vi__app-cvip-panel

I hope it's the right one. 8$ is ok for me :)

angelcraze2
04-13-2018, 08:33 PM
In case that link is not available, here is the info and a pic

Power Supply DC12V 5A 60W AC 100-240V Converter Adapter for LED Ultra-durable

Seems right huh?

angelcraze2
04-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Well, I still have that t8 on the tank instead of that Beamwork LED, so I'll put the plant growth report on hold, but I did pick up some fully aquatic ludwigia inclinata the other day (source of my hitchhiker tequila sunrise guppy) and I hope to grow new shoots in this tank which is fishless atm.

I planted the pieces at the back, so that new shoots will be exposed over the DW and base plants (which will be ugly in a few weeks) stays hidden behind. That's the plan. I hope to be able to grow some for my 120g SA tank. It's a cultivated plant from South America :thumbup:

Still always trying new SA plants.

angelcraze2
05-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Well bummer. The replacement driver doesn't fit. It's a two pin connection, the one I got is only one. Now my other driver is starting to flash. I'd love to find an inexpensive replacement drivers for both fixtures cuz I really like them. The original replacement is 40$ which is expensive since they tend to go after 2 years. A cheaper one would keep me using these lights. I bought into LED because they last so long, but it sucks when the other electronic compartments go before the diodes.

I don't want to change up my lighting, but I may have to. The 120g absolutely needs that power for PAR.

I'd like to try rewiring them so that a cheaper driver will work. It's not the fixture, just the driver.

bpete
05-25-2018, 07:13 PM
i am an idiot with electronics but could you just buy the right one pin and replace just that on the cheap driver? are one pin connectors available somewhere local to you?