PDA

View Full Version : oscars at the packing co.

marc4
03-05-2018, 09:34 AM
i've used the same shipping store for years for presents, but someone has been dropping them off for me for about five years. The store has a huge aquarium in it that has two oscars. The last time I saw them, they were pretty big, but I went in earlier and talk about huge! These two were bigger than anyfish I had ever seen in an aquarium. They are easily larger than the size of dinner plates.

How big do those things get? They are friendly and will come up to the glass if you look at them. The aquarium looks like it is probably two hundred gallons although I'm not a very good judge on that. They are impressive.

marc4

Rocksor
03-05-2018, 02:36 PM
no more than 16" total length, which is rare. You will see more in the 12"-14" range.

MCHRKiller
03-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Ive kept many "oscars" over the years wild, domestic, and different species of the Astronotus genus....and they are huge fish. As Rocksor said they typically get to 12-14" however some specimens can obtain 16". But the thing that makes them huge is their bulk. I had one wild "orbicularis" morph which obtained 15-16" in length but was at least 4" thick and 8" tall. It lived in a 150G tank and wouldnt have done well in anything smaller.

mermaidwannabe
03-29-2018, 09:19 PM
Tee-hee-hee. I have a cat named Oscar. Oscar + Oscar = Lunch. Just sayin' ...