PDA

View Full Version : ever hear of someone keeping a snowflake eel in a 29 gallon ?

jjf3497
03-02-2018, 07:52 PM
i would have a small snowflake . next February he will go on a fiftyfive. can it be done?

toddnbecka
03-06-2018, 07:22 AM
It COULD be done, but a 29 is a very small volume for a SW setup, too easy for something to go wrong with the water chemistry IMO. Personally I'd recommend a Tanganykian plagiostoma spiney eel for a 29 long-term. They're a small, relatively active species that don't burrow in the substrate like most of their relatives, and won't outgrow the tank.

Rocksor
03-06-2018, 01:30 PM
There are even smaller eels than the Tanganykian eel like:

Half-banded Spiny Eel
Ocellated Spiny Eel
Peacock Eel

Why not wait until you get the 55 before you get the snowflake eel?

jjf3497
03-07-2018, 06:55 PM
It COULD be done, but a 29 is a very small volume for a SW setup, too easy for something to go wrong with the water chemistry IMO. Personally I'd recommend a Tanganykian plagiostoma spiney eel for a 29 long-term. They're a small, relatively active species that don't burrow in the substrate like most of their relatives, and won't outgrow the tank.

i wanna do saltwater in a 29. its gonna be a fowlr .

jykelly
03-16-2018, 01:15 PM
i wanna do saltwater in a 29. its gonna be a fowlr .

I'm a bit confused; you asked about keeping a snowflake eel in the saltwater section and then had freshwater eels recommended to you. But just in case you were talking about the saltwater snowflake moray eel (Echidna nebulosa (http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_Echidna_nebulosa.php)) then I would advise against it. I once bought a small E. nebulosa (10 inches long) and it grew to more than two feet in about 18 months on a diet of fresh fish, crab, squid and shrimp. It quickly outgrew my four foot long 75 gallon tank. Plus, eels create a lot of waste that would quickly overload such a small tank.

Jesterrace
05-02-2018, 10:21 PM
They get 2 feet long when fully grown and they say they can go in a 55 at that length, but personally I wouldn't put them in a 29 for even a few months.