PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Guide To Getting Started With Discus

Slaphppy7
02-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Hello all,
discuspaul contacted me via PM to help with submitting the following:

“Greetings all,
I've been an SD member for about a year and love the forums. I'm retired, living in Vancouver, B.C., and have been fish-keeping on and off, both fresh and saltwater, for over 50 years - since I was a young teen. At one time I maintained about 15 freshwater tanks and bred several varieties of egg-layers - tetras, danios, barbs, bettas, angels, etc., and recall the days when LFS's would only give me a nickel or a dime for 3 month old fry! My, times have changed, particularly since I got back into discus-keeping about a year ago after a long lay-off, only to find that discus prices had risen to their current unreal stratosphere. However, I for one don't mind - I just love these fish!

Which brings me to my reason for posting this. I found over the past few months going through the thread posts and stickies, that there didn't seem, in my view anyway, to be one single place for beginners to get a reasonably comprehensive, start to finish guide for launching themselves into discus-keeping.

So I decided to write a modest illustrated booklet to hopefully fulfil that purpose, called "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus." In doing this, I received a tremendous amount of help from a few other SD members, notably Martha Morris who edited the Guide; Keith Perkins, Pat Husband, and Al Sabetta of course. Many thanks to them. I sincerely hope this will be of benefit to those wanting to have handy, and use, some form of step by step guidance to getting started with the very enjoyable pastime of keeping this beautiful fish.
Paul”

Slap here again...I've decided to attach Paul's guide in PDF format to include the pertinent illustrations, see below...please let me know if it works for everyone here

Thanks very much for the contribution Paul!...well worth being a stickied thread, IMO

discuspaul
02-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Many thanks for posting the Guide, Matt.

This article was inspired by my strong desire to help any interested discus-keeper 'wannabees' avoid the pitfalls of losing these expensive fish through a lack of knowledge as to how to keep them successfully.

I considered this guide as the 'full, detailed version' of the other discus post I wrote entitled the '6 Cardinal Rules for discus Newbies to follow', which some of you may have read here.

If any of you have any questions on matters within the guide, or other discus questions, I'll be happy to try & answer them to your satisfaction.

Best regards all - & happy discus-keeping,
Paul

P.S. When reading my introductory remarks, please keep in mind that I wrote the Guide, and that particular introduction, in 2011 - to give you an idea of the timeline.

AmazonJoe
02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
It has my support!!! :thankyouyellow::bravo:

lwalling2000
02-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Thank you discuspaul and Slaphppy7 for putting out this thorough article. I believe many discus keepers will benefit from it. [emoji106]

sfsamm
02-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Aww PDF link is broken... At least through tap a talk for me. Anyone else?

The Cichlid Keeper
11-26-2019, 06:04 PM
It's rather disappointing. I have limited space and a harder African Cichlid tank(55 gallons). I wish I could keep Discus.

klingy
05-22-2021, 09:58 AM
Hi I started with. I started using food Tetra Discus Colour (https://www.tetra-fish.sk/produkt/tetra-discus-colour/) is it suitable food for these fish or is it something better ?